1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Lin and Yang: Why Choose One Point Guard When You Can Have Two?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 13, 2013.

1. JBar

JBar Rookie

Harden should not be playing 40 minutes a game.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Exactly. I said this from the beginning and people were arguing with me saying Lin will have at least 12 minutes on the court w/out Harden. I knew for sure McHale was going to play Harden 40+ minutes. And this whole fit argument was crap.

3. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Well said partner. I hope you are right about the management having a vision of "Learning is far more important".

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know about 12, but 10 is reasonable (are we really debating about a couple minutes?). Harden played 38 minutes a game last year ... I suspect his minutes will average out around there.

And with the double overtime game, the available minutes have averaged out to around 49-50 (not 48) so far, so that's part of why minutes are inflated a little bit right now.

And for those saying benching Lin has nothing to do with him not playing with Harden ... well, it certainly does at the start.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it's a reason I don't understand why McHale made the change to start with. if you look at his sub pattern, bev and asik are first to come out in 1st qt and 3rd qt when lin subs in. that means harden and lin play together until harden takes break. it looks like same to me to start lin and harden and then lin came out first with bev in. lin can come back to replace harden.

ok, this is not a biggest problem rox has. the big problem is howard doesn't know who he is. neither our coaching staffs. howard doesn't have any offense skill set we used to see in big man. we are spoiled by our bigs in our history. howard is what he is. he can be effective in offense when he is not the focal point of the offense. that means the offense plays are not designed for him but he will benefit from other players to draw away his man from him.

you will be extremely disappointed if you expect him to improve his offense skill by training with dream. SVG knows him better. he had problem with SVG in Orlando. SVG wanted him to focus on defense not offense. howard didn't want to listen to SVG. he wanted to be a main offense weapon on his team. he will fail if he keeps thinking in this way.

6. keldraco

keldraco Member

lin want to be a starter. stop brainwashing lin fan into accepting him being off the bench. we know what he really wants and we will stand by him.

1 person likes this.
  7. roxxy

roxxy Member

Fair enough we will see how the minutes settle down as the season progresses. I guess my question is that if Lin keeps up this sensational play when harden comes back how is mcHale going to look pushing him back on the bench considering how much Bev struggles with all things shooting /scoring. Cause I know McHale is going to put him back on the bench. And honestly I am ok w/ Lin coming off the bench because I really think he needs to win 6MOY and get some credibility in this league and from coaches. But what kind of precedent does that set when Lin last year was being consistently yanked for his poor shooting and this season McHale starts Bev despite his poor shooting? Bev really needs to start producing asap imo. And if we aren't supposed to swear in the board my apologies.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Clutch, you can't have the argument both ways. On the one hand, it is argued that it doesn't matter who starts. On the other hand, it is argued that it does matter?

How does staggering Lin and Harden has anything to do with Lin starting or not, other than what happens at the start? And does that REALLY matter?

I totally agree that it doesn't really change much for the team who starts. That's the whole point of Jeff's piece. So why make that "fit" thing a big deal?

10. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Exactly

Anyway, probably the coach want Lin and Harden play together during the 4th quarter and therefor they need to stagger their PT as many minutes from the start until the 3rd quarter

This is the most logical explanation other than a double standard from the coach.

11. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Here's the difference if Lin starts and becomes a very good PG he might stay. On the bench - no way.

12. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

This is false, Lin has been playing Lights out since the beginning of the season and pre season. He has had more starts than not so far this season. This has nothing to do with confidence this has more to do with him putting in the work and it showing on the court. The fact that people are making this a big deal now is because the stats don't seem to quite back up Pat Bev as much as people had expected once expected.

1 person likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOF are the only ones who talk about stats.

Rocket fans talk about fit. It is becoming more and more clear that we are going to need elite defensive players around Harden since he is gives so little effort.

14. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Pretty sure LOFs were saying Lin could fit with Harden....

Also pretty sure there are a lot of unintelligent Rockets fans around....

1 person likes this.
  15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not Jeff... how am I having an argument both ways? Cite examples, please.

What I said was just a fact: You may not be able to stagger Lin and Harden very much because of limited minutes that Harden is off the floor, but it's currently guaranteed at the start.

You clearly agree:

Think about how silly this question is: Who starts the game has nothing to do with anything ... other than what happens at the start. That's been McHale's whole point all along. You don't have to start to be a significant contributor.

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

so why has bev always been subbed out by lin as many including you believe lin is not good at defense? two weak defenders play back court. is this what you want?

17. steady

steady Member

Things will sort out in the long run. The Rockets still have all the talent they need to contend; and if some pieces might not quite fit, they can certainly trade to get better fitting pieces.

But in the short run, although it makes me as mad as anyone to see them struggle like this, I am not surprised either.

It was always said before the preaseason, the Rockets have tremendous potential, but they need to figure out the best roles for each of the players. And players need to accept and get used to those roles. The Rockets are still a bit away from reaching that goal. As McHale said, they will likely be experimenting into December. On the positive side, this means that we haven't seen anything close to their potential yet.

18. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Can PB guard two people at the same time? Name any player who is in the league can. No matter who you play along side JH, JH has to play acceptable defense. I'd argue that playing along side Lin, it can actually save JH energy on offense and so he can focus more on defense. Collectively it could work better in both offense and defense.

1 person likes this.
  20. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Clutch: I respect your opinion but I disagree. I'd rather set the tone at the beginning of a game rather than digging a hole and trying to climb out of it with sb sparking from bench. As you and many pointed out, Lin and JH will play majority of their minutes together no matter Lin starting or not. So why not let Lin and JH play as much as possible together so they can build chemistry and gel together? Lin and JH fitted very well based on the 2nd half of last season. I know the season is still young. But with limited starts, I just don't see that PB "fits" better with JH or PB plays better with him starting. And the opposite is true. PB's efficiency actually dropped with him starting. I personally like him coming from bench so he can play his style of defense and no need to worry about foul trouble.