1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YES!!!] Astroworld returns to HOUSTON

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Nov 7, 2013.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Member

He left off The Woodlands, too (20.9 mi to the 242 & 59 intersection).

A "more centrally located" park, as Baqui suggested would be impossible. The reason gigantic plots of land like this are even affordable to build on is because they're NOT centrally located.

You people... seriously. My commute used to be The Woodlands to 59 & Westpark. I did that round trip every day... like I can't do that twice a year (or more) to ride some rollercoasters? Nut up, inner loopers. Quit crying because it'll take you more than 15 min to get there. :rolleyes:

2. da1

da1 Member

There's nothing cool about that commute. It's inefficient and senseless.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

You're just mad that you won't get to go until they build a rail out there, unless your mom takes you.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

No idea on land value since I don't live there. But a 2 hr round trip is going to deter a lot of potential visitors.

5. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

Definitely not the Texas Cyclone. The Texas Cyclone was pulled down and destroyed, and the wood sold off as souvenirs. The organizers of this place have claimed this will be a custom top ten level wooden coaster. Make of that what you will.

The new detail I'm most interested in is the highly themed mine train coaster, of which they have some concept art on the website. Very cool. It looks like they're going for a real Silver Dollar City/Dollywood vibe with this place, which I think is the right move.

There is a pretty good mix of non-coaster rides on that map as well. Really nice for a startup park. Really more than I would expect from a park being built from the ground up, honestly.

6. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

If a two and a half hour one way trip to San Antonio doesn't deter Houstonians from getting a Six Flags season pass and going to Fiesta Texas multiple times every summer, it won't stop them from going to this park, too.

Bottom line, if theme parks are your thing, this distance won't stop you from going. If you could take it or leave it, you might leave it.

Whether or not people will support the place remains to be seen, but I suspect if it fails, it will not be because of the location.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Well, 99.99% of the world won't go there but it'll be okay.

8. across110thstreet

Greezed Lightnin' to return?

I'll admit the website and blueprints look very impressive to this skeptic.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Not sure how true this is, but somebody told me part of Astroworld's demise was that a thug element was using it as a hangout, resulting in roaming gangs walking around creating a dangerous atmosphere. Probably won't have that to deal with in New Caney, although I don't know the area well.

10. magnetik

magnetik Member

I'd drive as long as it's not anywhere near the **** hole where it was before.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I have never met or even heard of anyone doing this. There are likely very few people in houston getting fiesta Texas season passes

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

When I was growing up, we lived in Texas city. It was at least an hour to get to Astroworld. We never once had our parent's say, "Kids, it takes an HOUR to get there, no way we're going!" This thing is for kids. Kids will make their parents go. I doubt they're really worried about getting upper 20 and lower 30 year old BBS users to go ride their rides. They want kids who will cry when they walk by the gift shop if they don't get something.

It is not too far to go to. I'm sure people from Huntsville, Galveston, etc all traveled quite frequently to go to Astroworld (same for theme parks and surrounding areas across the country) and they'll do the same for this place. You think everyone going to a theme park lives within a 20 minute drive?

13. da1

da1 Member

Lol wow.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Member

It's the truth. When I worked at Astroworld they would demand free stuffed animals and refuse to wear safety harnesses.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The neighborhood, combined with the extremely cheap season passes made Astroworld a daily hangout place for some unsavory elements. I wouldn't go so far as to say I ever felt unsafe, but it was one of the many contributing factors.

People won't just hang out at this new park, so in my book that will be a big plus. I can tolerate the commute, doesn't seem to stop us from hitting the beach.

16. DBrunk01

DBrunk01 Member

It's a Six Flags season pass, not a "Fiesta Texas" season pass, and it gets you into all Six Flags parks. I know at least five people personally who have one. Not scientific as a poll, but I do know that many people from here go to Fiesta Texas regularly, even if they don't have a season pass.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

Doesn't deter people from going to Galveston. This will be the only theme park for the area, and for most people in the Houston area it would take less than two hours.

18. Scarface281

Scarface281 Member

It was parents using it as a daycare and six flags not taking care of the park. Astroworld was still top five for six flags attendance. At the time of its bankruptcy, six flags (some of the board anyway) thought they could make more by selling the land since value was going up. I don't think location was the biggest issue, but how six flags handled it. There are other parks located in the middle of cities.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I've had it for my family at least three years (maybe not in a row), but we've also used it for the Six Flags in the Metroplex in South Oklahoma. :eek: There have to be a lot more than just the SwoLys of Houston doing this.

Correct.

20. eric.81

eric.81 Member

I really need to stop commenting on this board. Where did the decorum go? Why are so many of you being such a ***holes in a thread about a theme park? Wow...

I never said that I thought my commute was "cool." It was decidedly uncool. I had an excellent job in the Greenway area and when it was time for my wife and I to buy a house, we needed to be close to my parents and grandparents (in The Woodlands), for various reasons.

Who the hell are you to tell me that was "senseless?" :confused: