1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ed Reed Released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tecmotexans, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

"will still affect salary cap in 2014 and 2015"

Get used to hearing that over and over again as the Texans try to trim the dead wood. Essentially a decade of "rebuilding" culminated in two playoff appearances! Good job!

2. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I'm expecting him to go back to the Ravens and getting 10 INT's

3. makman

makman Member

That would normally be the case for the texans, but I think he knows he's done and that's why he took benching so easily. He's spoke about retirement the last 3 years. Old and beat up, I think he'll sign with ravens and retire.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They don't need him and he won't beg back in. Harbaugh knows he's done. :eek:

I keep thinking:
    mole???? :confused:

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I guarantee you, Ed Reed was poisoning the water in that locker room; past his prime once great who isn't playing well on a bad team is a receipe for disaster. (And I'm saying that independent of moves they should make, re: coaching and personnel.) Kubiak has never lost that locker room; Reed is the kind of guy to take it.

(It might also speak to a power play - who, ultimately, pushed for Reed? I doubt it was Kubiak - Smith? If so, this might be Kubiak throwing Smith under the bus. Phillips? Is there a rift between HC and DC? Gonna get sloppy and interesting these final seven weeks....)

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ed's going to the Pats. That's where all the Texans go after they've been cut lately. He'll start suddenly producing there.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Tony Boselli
    Ahman Green
    Ed Reed

Please, Texans....no more signing washed up players because of their names. It's embarrassing.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I think this is a show of solidarity. Some carpet baggin' goldbricker jerks you around this offseason and then criticizes the extremely well liked coaching staff (who are under extreme duress this year). Yeah, not gonna fly.

I think this was a Smith signing and a Smith firing. No sense in letting Reed sit around and take up valuable oxygen on your team. He was a zero. Cut the cord and move on. Texans finally showing some balls. I like it.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Either he is inept or he does not care, your choice.

He ultimately decides whom to hire to run his organization and since he has been the owner he has had a long pattern or hiring mediocre to poor subordinates and sticks with them until the pitch forks are at his door.

Thus, either he does not care enough to bring in higher quality candidates or he is poor at judgment.

Either way, the organization sucks and as the only owner and only consistent figure with the team, it ultimately falls squarely on his shoulders.

Can it change? Sure, but as Virginia Woof's husband said....... "You have a history Virginia."

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Do you think those comments + playing well would have gotten him released?

Of course not. He's not even a shell of his former self. Matt Stevens was more productive.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When you play like trash and are stealing money from a team, just shut up! Ed Reed has no credibility whatsoever here.

What bugs me the most is he wanted this to happen and got his wish. Now he can choose another team. We'll find out if Reed has been deliberately holding back hoping the Texans would cut him.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

LMAO! This organization is **** from top to bottom! Can't produce on the field? Cant coach worth a **** on special teams? That's okay, uncle bob has your back. But DO NOT question this teams coaching or you ass is gonna get cut.

Truly the best run team in the NFL by far.

13. htownjr

htownjr New Member

[Scapegoat] The front office and coaching staff deserve 95% of the blame for this entire ordeal IMHO. Before and after they signed Reed, they were aware of his injury, and couple that with his age and previous wear and tear, they knew that they weren't getting ALL-PRO Reed. There's no accountability within the front office or coaching staff. We ALL kknew1 player player wasn't going to get us to the SB, so why single him out when all he does is speak out the way we feel already.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Watch him sign with The Broncos and win the Super Bowl.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Interesting, or like Montgomery..... Reed made the COACHING STAFF/FRONT OFFICE look bad so he has to go so they can protect their asses.

If the Texans want to show "balls", they need to start with the STAFF and take it from there.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

don't be fooled there is no real accountability. joke of the nfl from a team, coaching staff, and personal decision making.

one of the highest payrolls(120m) with one more win than jax which has 2nd lowest payroll(85m) and on less win than oakland which has the lowest payroll (64m) which is almost half of ours.

only 1 person to blame and it's mcnair. With modern free agency and the draft, along with advancement of college football coaching and players, somebody needs to tell mcnair that slow and steady method died in the early 90's. in today's nfl, find a great personnel man, hire a good staff, find a qb, and win. 2 years is enough to determine if you succeeded, if not hit the reset button and try again.

biggest mistake texans (mcnair) made is thinking nfl momentum is real and that progressions exists and are almost deserved instead of earned. their was an illusion (kubiak luncheon, let's go win us a SB!!) that 2 years in a row to divisional round meant afc championship round and possible SB. they convinced themselves it was the way things work. it doesn't work that way, what you did last year has no relevance on the current year.

#56 ipaman, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Three in 13 years doesn't really speak to much of an organizational issue, does it? (And Boselli technically wasn't a signing... and I'm flabbergasted he's still mentioned - an expansion team took a gamble on him nearly 12 years ago....... what's the big deal?)

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it would suck but also it's expected. we've seen it over and over and over....

19. RCPM

RCPM Member

Ha ha, the Texans have NO balls and No common sense.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

To be fair, Cushing is not the fault of the GM. He has been a beast while on the field and both times he was taken out for the season due to low hits by offensive players. That's something you can't account for. He truly deserved the money he was getting.

How do you not extend Foster after the play that he had? At that time everyone was saying we got him on the cheap. It's because of injuries and decline in play that it looks worse now. The rest of them I can understand your frustrations. Also we didn't expect to Schaub to all of a sudden regress like he did this year. He lead the league in passing one year and had a decent career with the Texans and based on what type of money all the other QB's we got we had to stick with him. There aren't that many above average QB's out there at the time.