1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jeremy Lin's Terrific 6-Game Start To The 2013-14 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PhiSlamma, Nov 8, 2013.

1. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I'm not going to get caught up in conspiracy theories and I'm not here to talk about who should start and should not start.

What I want to talk about is the improvement in the play of Jeremy Lin, as demonstrated through statistics.

Most Rockets fans -- including LOF -- would probably agree that Jeremy Lin had several issues, if not more, that he wanted to work on this past offseason. Among those issues were:

* Defense
    * Three-point shooting
    * Turnovers

The early returns are in. And they're looking good.

First of all, Lin currently has a PER of 19.0. That is approximately #53 in the NBA among all players who have played 100 or more minutes this season. There are 175 players in the NBA who have played 100+ minutes this season, which means Lin is in the top third of all such players in the NBA in PER.

Lin's PER puts him #10 among point guards in the NBA for players who have played 100 or more minutes this season. The players ahead of Lin at the position are, in order of PER best to worst: Chris Paul; Isiah Thomas; Stephen Curry; Mike Conley; Damian Lillard; Tony Parker; Ty Lawson; Michael Carter-Williams; and John Wall.

Secondly, defense. Even given the team-wide debacle that was the Clippers game, Lin's current Defensive Rating following the Lakers contest is 099.1. Last year, that figure was 104.0.

Here are Lin's Defensive Ratings by game this season:

CHA -- 091.8
    DAL -- 082.3
    UTH -- 091.9
    LAC -- 145.9
    POR -- 088.1
    LAL -- 093.0

The Clippers game, then, is clearly the aberration in those statistics.

To give an idea of how a 099.1 Defensive Rating looks (lower number is better), the best defensive point guard in the league last year, Mike Conley, had a number of 095.1. With the Clippers game tossed out of the stats, Lin's Defensive Rating would be 89.4 or so. And he held Jose Calderon and Jamaal Tinsley scoreless in back-to-back games so far this year.

Additionally on the defensive front, in two of the Rockets' better defensive runs this season -- against Portland in the third quarter and against the Lakers in the third quarter -- Lin was on the court rather than on the bench.

Third, three-point shooting. Lin is currently tied with Omri Casspi at 43.8% (both are 7-of-16) from three-point range to lead the Rockets.

Fourth, turnovers. Lin's Per 36 Minutes turnover rate is currently 3.4. That is ranked about #28 of 38 point guards in the NBA this season who have played 100+ minutes. So, there's still work to be done there. And, Lin's rate last year Per 36 was 3.2. But, his PER last year was also just 14.9. Meaning, you probably can handle 0.2 more TO's Per 36 if you are also getting +4.1 in PER.

What's good about Lin as regards turnovers is that the issue no longer seems to be a glaring one for him. All of these point guards, each good players, have higher TO/36 numbers than Lin this season (all have played 100+ minutes, too):

Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Stephen Curry
    Derrick Rose

As I have noted in several posts on the board, last year was the only year of Lin's career that he had a negative (On Court - Off Court) rating. Which means that the team was better with him off the court. I thought that number was an anomaly likely due to his recovery from the knee surgery, among other things. And so far this season, that looks to be the case.

Here are Lin's (On Court - Off Court) ratings for his career (numbers from NBA.com):

2010-11 = +04.9
    2011-12 = +04.4
    2012-13 = -02.7
    2013-14 = +05.2 (6 games)

Unlike last year, then, Lin is having a positive net effect when he is on the floor for the team in the statistics.

Lin also leads the team in Assists Per 36 Minutes with a 4.8 figure.

He leads the team, as well, with a 67% True Shooting figure, and is drawing 6.9 Free Throw Attempts Per 36 Minutes despite having only a 19.9% Usage Rate.

Finally, Lin leads the team with 1.736 Points Per Field Goal Attempt. That figure is #5 in the entire NBA.

So, very promising returns early this season for Jeremy Lin. Hopefully he can continue his strong production as the team moves forward. And hopefully as the season moves along, the turnover rate can become even better.

12 people like this.
  2. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Thanks for the stats! Paul.

1 person likes this.
  3. hltiki

hltiki Member

yay for positives

1 person likes this.
  4. omgTHEpotential

Really great post.

But... sample size.

5. areyouserious

areyouserious Member

His turnovers are still high considering his assists are down. Some might say that his assists are down because he's not handling the ball enough. But if he handles it more, he'll get more turnovers.

Still, he's been playing well. I just hope he can keep it up.

6. Reach

Reach Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I know, I know.

But you can only work with what you have! :cool:

Plus, bit tired of conspiracy talk and negativity so I wanted to make just a positive post. Even if it had to be one involving a small sample size.

8. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

His offense, besides TO's, have been excellent. He still needs to work on the TO's though, those players you mentioned that have higher TO/36 than Jeremy also have more assists I believe, definitely Chris Paul. The Assist/TO ratio is important. Still, his improvements on other aspects of offense have been impressive.

But what I'm most impressed with is his improvement on defense, he's been the best defensive guard so far for the Rockets. The myth that he's a defensive liability needs to end.

1 person likes this.
  9. Omron

Omron Member

Hope it continues coz he didn't look too good the 2 pre-season games right before the season started. He shot something like 3 for 9 in both those games so it might be too early to tell.

At any rate, I think the Rockets are stuck with him. His contract has a 15M kicker in the 3rd year which is like superstar money. I don't know a lot of teams who can absorb that.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Won't his contract be a massive expiring? Teams can absorb that.

He has been balling since post ASB last season. The sample is large enough to deduce that Lin when healthy is an above average PG.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Beware. Yesterday I brought up sample size and had my doubts that Lin could keep up his unbelievably good shooting so far over an entire season and I was promptly told I was only there to bring down Lin and that I wasn't rooting for my team.

12. RocketPowerNick

Great post, thank you very much.

Lin has been one of the clear bright spots on this team.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Because everyone knows to combat the already small sample size you go for an EVEN SMALLER SAMPLE SIZE in the preseason.

:|

14. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

You're welcome!

Sample size stuff: I dont think there has ever been ANY serious discussion about Jeremy Lin that did not in some way involve sample size. I'm not denying the sample size argument, at all, but this is all I have to work with right now.

Hey, if nothing else, let's enjoy it while it lasts! :grin:

15. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Thanks for sharing. That's really encouraging. I'm even more impressed with his consistency so far. Six good games in a row.

16. conquistador#11

small sample sizes are good for meaningless preseason games but not six games of a regular season, let alone huge performances by him in critical games last year? flawed eye tests are flawed.

props to lin for improving the three but 43% is not 78%!
    good job good effort.:p

if our so called superstars can do their jobs, linobli's stat line from the 6th man is warranted a 3 million dollar pay raise if we win the title.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/ginobma01/gamelog/2006/

1 person likes this.
  17. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Wow, thank you! That is impressive. It confirms my eyeball test.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't understand what sample size you speak of. Since last year post ASB Lin has been balling putting up similar numbers.
    3FG% 38%
    FG% 47%
    FT% 78%
    15pts 6 assists 2 rebounds 1 steal over a sample of 27 games

Compared to right now
    3FG% 44%
    FG% 55%
    FT% 75%
    15pts 4 assists 2 rebounds 2 steals

So even if Lin dropps down to his post ASB numbers from last year which is highly likely those are still fantastic numbers that I would take any day off the bench. There is no sample size issue this is what a healthy Jeremy Lin looks like an above average PG and a potential 6MOY.

19. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

Great point on the consistency. I forgot to mention this.

One of JLin's issues last year was the Yo-Yo Effect of like good game, bad game. In April, as his knee apparently healed, that started to go away. And now we are seeing more consistency from him overall, in, for example, scoring.

CHA -- 16 points
    DAL -- 14 points
    UTH -- 20 points
    LAC -- 14 points
    POR -- 12 points
    LAL -- 16 points

That looks a lot like April 2013, the numbers.

Jeremy is young, or at least inexperienced. But I think now you are starting to see what he can become (or is becoming) with a healthy body and a bit of time to develop.

Great!

1 person likes this.
  20. rokit

rokit Member

currently #2 P&R ball handler in the NBA @ 1.04ppp

1 person likes this.