1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Americans Think Foreign Aid is 28% of Federal Budget

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aeolus13, Nov 8, 2013.

1. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

http://kff.org/global-health-policy...f-americans-on-the-u-s-role-in-global-health/

This is alarming for two reasons - first, this information is not buried in some obscure filing folder in the bowels of the Library of Congress - it can be had with a simple Google search in an easy-to-read pie chart.

Second, this information is critical. You simply cannot have a reasonably informed discussion about what the government should do more or less of if you don't have a reasonably accurate understanding of what the government already does. How much of the current attitudes we see towards spending and taxation are simply the result of bad information? After all, someone who thinks that we could painlessly eliminate the entire deficit if we simply stop giving away a quarter of all the taxes we collect to greedy, lazy foreigners will probably have a dim view of tax hikes.

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Depends on whether you count military spending as "foreign aid", I guess :eek:.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

In terms of their similar impact and contribution yes. But Americans plainly and vocally praise one and complain about the other in contrasting enough tones too, uh, mootify that qualification.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My fellow Americans can be woefully misinformed.

[​IMG]

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not surprising. The actual breakdown of how the government spend tax dollars would likely surprise everyone who sees it for the first time. I know I was floored when I first saw it.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I hear complaints about both, which is which in your post?

30 billion in teh aidz huh? Anyone have a breakdown by country? Curious how much went to Mexico, I think they should move up the list a bit. (not Hispanic)

Also we spend more than 9 other counties on that table combined. Misleading as hell chart.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Woeful ignorance about foreign aid has been the rule for a long time and will remain so indefinitely. Facts just don't matter on this one.

8. Bandwagoner

Well, it is a bit foolish to borrow money and then give it to charity. It is just the perception of literally handing over cash.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm sorry that you're having trouble reading the chart, since it's laid out there easily enough in a nice bar graph. The amount of money is not the point. The point is that we are spending a fraction of the foreign aid that we used to spend, and that numerous countries are spending a lot more than we are, when you compare their wealth to ours.

10. treeman

treeman Member

No, Deckard, the dollars DO matter. The amount DOES matter.

Foreign aid is a miniscule fraction of what we spend. But for some odd reason too many people think that if we just cut that portion of our budget then we can balance it. One could only think that if they had no idea what we spend on entitlements every year - there's no other way to explain it.

I just shrug my shoulders when I run into anyone who rages about the foreign aid spending. There's not much to say to them that will work itself into an intelligent conversation.

11. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Imagine how pissed you'll be when you realize how few points the Rox are getting for what they are spending on their front line.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

These are the same people that want the government to keep its hands off of Medicare.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So sad but so true.

/thread.

14. Bandwagoner

I didn't have any trouble reading the chart. I gave more information about it and I opined it was misleading.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That was my point, treeman.