1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YES!!!] Astroworld returns to HOUSTON

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TdashDUB, Nov 7, 2013.

1. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Twice as far from my home as Astroworld used to be...

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

One of the best things about the old Astroworld was the location.

3. Nick

Nick Member

It was also one of the worst things. Severely limited parking, no room for expansion, eventually leading to decreased quality of the park, (compared to other 6 flags places) decreased attendance, and eventual shut down.

In the end, the land it sat on was too valuable to waste on a theme park (and it still is, despite no development just yet).

There's a reason most good six flags spots are out in the middle of nowhere.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

This is 32 miles out of Houston it can work but you have to find a way to connect Houston & new caney for non drivers. Also usually these Theme parks hire high school kids this makes it more dificult to do that.

5. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

troll?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Where have I heard this before.....

7. Grinds

Grinds Member

Why because your mommy won't let you. Six Flags isn't in DAL, Disneyland & Magic Mountain aren't in LA, STL's isn't in STL, Fiesta Texas is barely in SA..... Houstonians would be fools if they avoided because of distance.

8. Grinds

Grinds Member

It's beyond New Caney if it's 32 miles, but agreed, it needs to be more easily connected. Houston needs light rail on its freeways.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I want my Looney Tunes and DC character themed rides.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Member

As others have mentioned - this is kind of far
    Additionally, what exactly is "several roller coasters"? Is it going to just have 2 or 3? If yes, then its not even worth driving that far. I can just go to Kemah or the Pleasure Pier...

11. randomdude

randomdude Member

"Located along Highway 59 just north of the New Caney exit, the amusement park is expected to open by summer 2015 with seven theme areas devoted to Lone Star history and culture. "

"By 2020, officials anticipate 4.5 million annual visitors to the theme park district..."

Scheduled to open by summer 2015

12. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

Stopped reading after "Montgomery county."

13. Uprising

Uprising Member

Sounds great! Can't wait for it to be completed, hopefully it is.....

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

It's too far because you'd rather go to San Antonio? It's too far because you want to go to Pleasure Pier in Galveston?
    And Kemah? You do realize Kemah is 35 miles from downtown Houston. New Caney is closer than that.

15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

16. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

It'll never be Astroworld unless you have Fright Night and Southern Star Amphitheater

17. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not astroworld. Isn't this the same theme park they've been pushing for years? That earth quest adventures crap

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

No, it's a different one. But this one also had an initial failure to open when it first tried in Tomball. This one seems to have some traction since they actually bought the land and have hired some actual people. I believe Earth Quest was pure talk the entire time.

19. Uprising

Uprising Member

Not the same park.

Earthquest was failed to begin with. It was all talk. And the premise was just terrible.

This one sounds interesting.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Considering they begin construction in 3 months, I think we can assume this one is going to happen.

It's not Astroworld, but people need to stop holding their breath for an in-town amusement park. That won't happen. That would be like building a pro basketball arena without private suites. The industry has developed and they won't be going back to the old way. Out there, they've got plenty of cheap land they can develop as they see fit, they can control not just the entertainment, but dining and hotels and shopping, and reap ancillary revenues from many sources.

And out there, they're a reasonable commute from affluent family-dense communities in Kingwood and The Woodlands. Besides which, Six Flags Fiesta can draw customers from Houston proper, so this place can too. They'll get traffic and they'll make money, I'm sure.