1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: If Twin Towers don't work, Rockets may look at LaMarcus Aldridge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

now everybody wants the be the Heat get 3 superstars....

remember cuban put togther a roster of dirk, tyson, kidd, barea, terry(6th man) that was able to beat them,

rockets have a2 stars (harden howard) solid pg bev, role playes parson, casspi, garcia, best back up cneter (asik) lin (6th man) brewer (defense) brooks, smith deep on bench..
    we can go far witht his squad we have now just a lil more coching becuase of course mchale is not rick, minor moves to make things a lil more better with the depth for dmo, jones etc would be great....

everyone worships harden and howard here not its like they are not enough to get it done ????????

2. Play07

Play07 Member

if this team really wants a ring they can do it with the talent we have now, that was what clutch city was all about, just playing hard and certain players stepping up when we need them just playing with heart, you can have all the superstars in the world but if you dont play togther u wont win a championship (see nets this summer when they dont have one but they have 5 players that have been a allstar in the starting lineup)

u get yaself in a situation with 3 stars where all eyes are on you and if u dont win u become a joke

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It wasn't going to work from the get-go, because Asik neither Howard are as versatile players as say Bynum/Gasol, Robinson/Duncan, or Olajuwon/Sampson. Those duos worked, because all of those players were very versatile on both sides of the ball and had enough offensive skills between them to compliment each other.

Bynum had a bullish post game with decent shooting range to match with the more dynamic Gasol who could do just about anything offensively.

Robinson's athleticism and post moves could be combined with Duncan's post moves, unselfishness, face to basket skills, and high BBIQ.

Olajuwon was about the most complete player of all time who could dominate with his back to basket or a face up game, while Sampson could run the floor, pass like point guard, and pretty good shooting range.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You'd probably have to catch Danny Ferry snorting lines of powder to get him to trade Horford.

I would yield on my "I don't think even Morey would trade Parsons at this juncture, after he helped get us Dwight" stance if we could get Horford with a combo of Asik and Parsons and one of the PFs that McHale obviously has no use for (Terrence "Kick-Master" Jones, D-Mo).

But, for reasons on both sides, I don't quite see it.

He would also enhance the "H-town" billboards:

HARDEN --------- HOWARD ---------- HORFORD

5. Raven

Raven Member

I wonder what it would take to get Bass?

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The question should be, what do you think Ainge would have to give Morey to take Bass. Ainge would LOVE to dump his salary and anyone else for that matter on this mess of a roster.

Problem with Bass is his salary is high enough to where.... Again.... either Lin or Asik most almost certainly have to be included in the deal to make salaries work.

Bass just isn't worth giving up that kind of value... especially when its not even a foregone conclusion that he would get minutes over Casspi & going small.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

This would mean that the Rockets have no intention of making Parsons a free agent in 2014....i generally fall into this camp. It's one of the last "financial" advantages the Rockets have left, and it doesn't preclude them from signing him in 2015 (using his Bird rights).

IMO, the timing of LMAs contract is important, but not for the reason you gave. It has more to do with the leverage Houston can use against Portland in making a deal. I don't foresee a scenario where they trade for LMA and simply let him walk in 2015....unless Les really is that cost averse. It is within the Rockets ability to resign LMA, Parsons, and Beverley to any 4 year deal. Obviously they won't, but if Parsons and Beverley have reasonable expectations, I don't see why they can't be Rockets for a long time.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The question I have been trying to answer is what was Oh!lando like with DH and BB on the court together? Did it only work with Ryan Anderson et al? IMO Bass is an improved player, worth having on the roster. Well, except for his salary, that is.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

09/10 Magic Lineups-

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2010/lineups/

10/11 Magic Lineups-

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2011/lineups/

11/12 Magic Lineups-

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ORL/2012/lineups/

.................................................................................................

Its hard to tell which player he played better with, but in 2010/11 the productivity was actually higher with Bass... however that was just one year. The year before in 09 Howard played probably his best alongside Lewis/Turkaglo which were able to space the floor about as good as anyone.

Regardless its safe to say that Howard played well alongside Bass, but its not a foregone conclusion that it really made a huge difference as opposed to a true stretch 4.

So I wouldn't mind Bass, and think he would be an upgrade from what the Rox currently have at the traditional 4 spot, but again at the cost of Asik or Lin... I think the Rockets can do better.

10. AKO511

AKO511 Member

I watched the magic back when they had bass, I don't think he would be an upgrade over Asik. Height and defense would be the 2 things we would be giving up. He is listed i think 6'8, but he seems more like 6'6.

11. mesta

mesta Member

asik is only one year younger than horford
    asik+horford= hawks done rebuilding

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I can't understand your basketball reasons. We would go back to last seasons bad defense in exchange for Aldridge's overrated offensive game.
    We'd be a 5 seed at best.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you trade Asik for some offensive PF, you'd end up with last season's defense because Howard is not a big upgrade from Asik on the defensive end.

I am not going to argue with you whether Aldridge's offense is overrated. If Morey thinks he's good enough to be his number one target, it's good enough for me.

My point was, if you get an elite offensive PF like Aldridge, you don't really need Howard's offense. So Howard's big upgrade on the offensive side over Asik becomes not that big.

In short, if you trade Asik for a great offensive PF, you are rendering Howard close to Asik's role last season. You might as well trade Howard because you have to give up something more than Asik to get an Aldridge. But if you trade Howard, you don't have to give up more, and might even get more than Aldridge in return.

Anyway, I knew this would be moot because they would not trade Howard no matter how much sense it might make.

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I think its more of people wants to avoid being Thunders, where over dependence on 2 players cause the big let down.

And trios have always been around before heat. Look at Spurs, Celts and Lakers all won with trios.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

Agree! Also, continuity matters. The more you shuffle the deck, the more you have to start from scratch...

16. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

if we are going to trade asik it has to be a pf\c with good defense and midrange shot...

we need a pf\c so that he can backup dwight at c... midrange so that our offense wont suck when both are on the floor...

these are the only players that fit the criteria...
    Pekovic
    Aldrige
    gortat
    bosh

17. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I agree,if we trade dwight we could get LMA,Robin Lopez and a pick maybe we won't have a Problem with our Backup C,but Morey won't do it considering that we made such a Big Fuss about getting D12.

18. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Great take on the situation!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8383543&postcount=28

From mysynergy.com, Asik has been a beast on defense. He is one stingy defender, allowing only 0.46 point per possession. So far this season, he, not Dwight, is the anchor to our defense.

Asik is so underrated.............

19. rullrich

rullrich Member

I'm not sure what players would need to fill this to work but what about a trade that involved Asik going to the Warriors, Bogut going to the Blazers, and LMA going to the Rockets?

Watching the GS game last night reminded me how much better Asik is than Bogut, yet Bogut seems like he might be more desirable to Portland than Asik (given that they've expressed their disinterest in trading for him and Bogut being a more offensive center). Thoughts?

20. Play07

Play07 Member

yeah people were saying this at the beginning of the thread, its like LMA is nice dont get me wrong but a strech four would be better to let howard work in the paint and we can still have our run and gun offense , with LMA and HOward you will see alot of ISO post up and harden will have not have the ball as much let alone lin. I would keep howard and get that strech four that does not have to have the balls in his hand