1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. timyeung

timyeung Member

I agree with you I think Lin's play is strongly affected by his confidence, like it is to many players. At first I thought benching Lin might affect his confidence, and thus his play. However, when I see how aggressive his play has been attacking the net with the second unit guys, I realize this concern was unfounded.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He should clone himself on-the-fly and guard both.

Beverley is a tenacious on-the-ball defender. I think his presence probably would make it much tougher for CP3 to operate freely, find and pass to open teammate.

3. Caris

Caris Member

"Did this vid b/c I was curious about how well JLin guarded CP3. Did he do a good job of staying in front of him and dealing with screens? Could he do any more than he did on those assists? Otoh, was CP3 able to keep up with JLin?"​
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9gafm60b3zQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't think so because, just like Lin had to fight through and around the many screens that were set, Bev would too. CP3 still would have beast for 23pts and 17 assist. IMO

5. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Thank you for the great HD clip!
    It looks like, at one point, Beverley came out and comforted Lin in the middle of the game.:)

6. Drphil

Drphil Member

Dat DJ "block" on Lin... smh

7. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

nah we saw what happened with Kemba....these legit above average to stud point guards arent affected by that, they use his tenaciousness and over-aggressiveness against him. THere's no way you can think Bev wouldnt have had 3 fouls by the 2nd quarter.

That said Lin is shooting 54% from the field. 41% from downtown, I want that in the starting lineup. Just play Lin/Bev/Harden together, they mesh well.

8. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

Thx for the video. Very encouraging, a healthy Lin blow by CP3 at will, tell me how many guards in this league can do it. on the other end CP3 usually can only shake Lin with his skills and you know, "skills". If Rox ever tried to dump Lin, they are making a big mistake. Those media include Rox official webside portrait Lin got beat, only shows box score journalist is the worst kind.

9. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

True, but it also means that lin's services is no longer wanted by whoever is choosing the starting lineup, be it mchale or morey. Time to trade him.

10. me005

me005 Member

Start Bev/Asik if coach insists the TT, otherwise start Lin/Casspi.
    Lin offense with the starters > Bev defense with the starters
    Bev energy off the bench > Lin playmaking with the second unit

I tend to agree with Zach Lowe. Rockets perimeter D just plain horrible, bad rotation, lost on screens, lost their own man, and often not on the same page. Until they address this, whoever starting doesn't make much of a difference. Bev's energy certainly helps but not by much.

IMO:
    Starting Howard/Casspi/Parsons/Harden/Lin
    Finish Howard/Parsons/Harden/Lin/Bev

I still trust the coaching staff will make the right decisions, although there are plenty of head scratchers
    - continue to play TT?
    - post Howard instead of PnR?
    - put 11 guys on active list when we can have 13?

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

nice video! noticed the following:

- casspi's D is very, very, bad. he plays D like a typical euro player (except for asik). it's just awful. lack of awareness, lack of fundamentals.. just ugly. but he can shoot like there's no tomorrow.

- collison is a scrub. lin always seems to do well against him. maybe 'cause collison took the ucla scholarship that lin has always wanted.

- clippers ran pnr every. single. possession. along with off ball picks. we have the horses to do the same. the only reasons i can think of as to why our offense looks so disjointed compared them are chemistry, and coaching.

- clippers got away with a lot of questionable picks, both on and off ball. some of it is pretty obvious.

- lin needs to attack cp3 on offense a lot more. make him work harder on defense.

12. SunsRocketsfan

Lin gets floored by Jordan no call.. someone just breathes on Chris Paul it's a foul.. horrible officiating

1 person likes this.
  13. tada

tada Member

Agreed and not just on lin. So many BS calls on our players during the game.

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

I also thought Lin did a good job last night against the clippers. The only time I saw him start to get scorched was in the later part of the third quarter. He did what he could. James on the other hand was just a real liability last night. I'm not sure what happened to him since he is usually money. I'm sure he will be good to go tonight and show the world that it was just a miss step. Parson did fine, Garcia and Casspi did an admirable job. Tonight came down to Howard, Harden and Asik not doing enough. Tonight should be an interested game!

15. Fighton

Fighton Member

to be fair, jordan outside of the restricted area and jumped straight up. lin initiated the contact. if DJ didn't leave his feet it would've been a charge. if it was within the restricted area it would've been a foul.

lin is not james harden - he won't get these calls.

16. SunsRocketsfan

no he didnt go straight up. His arm comes down.. and fine if that's a no call fine but don't be calling a small ticky tack fouls on the other end. There were two calls where lin hardly touched paul and he gets the whistle. I dont have a problem if the refs were consistent.

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Amazing! 50/40/80.

If Lin is off the bench, that means the focal point of the offense would be D12 posting up and Harden ISOs. Is that really a good thing? It would make sense for Lin but not necessarily the offense of the first unit. The offense of last wasn't so bad afterall.

Asik was born in Asia afterall.
    We're still in the experimentation period. There is no fixed strategy yet. Just gotta endure it for the time being.

Star treatment, nothing new. Lin was hammered towards the end of last game and no call. No respect from the ref. When one isn't even respected by one's own team, how could we expect a lot of respect from others?

18. RRockets

RRockets Member

You are right, I think. From a message I read from a fan sitting next to Rockets bench, Lin will likely come off bench once PB is back.

19. Fighton

Fighton Member

oh i fully agree. never said the refs were consistent in this game. they were horrible. but was talking specifically of this single play.

20. lfw

lfw Rookie

Is this asian hottie his sister?!?!?! :eek::eek:

[​IMG]