1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate my Fantasy Basketball Team (beginner)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by OldfanofTmac, Oct 28, 2013.

1. thisiscaketown

Yeah, I would trade Rondo for Gordon, for the reasons you listed. I also think you should hold on to Burks for now. Waiters is slumping right now, and Nene cannot hold up a whole season, let alone half of one, without sitting out. Keep an eye on Brandon Rush, because he may or may not take some of Burks' minutes.

2. thisiscaketown

Yeah, you got it right. Don't pick up DeRozan, because he offers little stats outside of scoring.

3. senter

senter Member

Thanks for the advice. I didn't pick up Nene or Waiters. Someone grabbed Nene, but I think he'll regret doing that. Also, I was offered Danny Green for Korver. I was interested at first but I looked at Green's stats and he has been absolute GARBAGE this season so I rejected it. Good idea?

Next up, Gerald Wallace was dropped. Worth a pickup? He's been bad (and injured too maybe?) but he's a good source of steals and could pick up his play.

Lastly (and most importantly) I am in the process of potentially making a big trade with someone in my league. My John Wall, Lance Stephenson, and Amir Johnson for her Kyrie Irving and Andrew Nicholson. What do you think of that trade? She said she wants to wait til tomorrow to make the trade so she can see how all 5 guys involved do tonight (they all play). If I do the trade, I'll have an open spot to add someone (maybe Gerald Wallace, Casspi, or Dejuan Blair?) Anyway, let me know GURU haha

4. thisiscaketown

You were right, don't trade Korver for Danny Green.

I wouldn't pick up Gerald Wallace because everyone on your team is more productive than him. With the way the Celtics are tanking, it's unliky that they will give Gerald Wallace a bigger role than he has now on offense.

I also wouldn't trade Wall, Stephenson, and Johnson for Irving and Nicholson. You may end up with the best player in the trade, but you give away 2 very productive players and 1 semi-productive player for a very productive player and a player who, while currently productive, will have a much smaller role once Tobias Harris and Glen Davis come back from their injuries.

5. senter

senter Member

I don't know if I fully trust Wall. His back has been flaring up and that can be a nagging issue. Also, he's sharing shots with Beal, who is in a bit of a slump now but I think will pick it up soon. Stephenson has been beasting but I think I'd be selling high on him. Hill is coming back, Granger eventually, all eating into his minutes. I love him and considering I picked him up off the waiver wire after the 1st day, I'd say he was an enormous steal, but I do think he'll regress a bit as the season goes on and defenses figure him out. Amir Johnson has been disappointing so far. You make a good point with Glen Davis coming back but at the same time, Valancunas (sp?) is going to be getting more minutes eventually which will hurt Amir. Also, Rudy Gay + Derozan + J Val = not a lot of touches for Amir Johnson. Anyway, I'm not trying to be delusional here, I know Amir is the better player, but I have to give up some value to get value. Kyrie can put up super star numbers, and that's something that I don't think anyone else involved in the trade can do.

6. thisiscaketown

The reason I go against the trade is because

1. I don't value Kyrie Irving too much higher than John Wall. Wall might not shoot as many 3's, but he is equally capable of scoring like a superstar. Wall also historically contributes more in categories like Assists, Steals, and Blocks.

2. Your Assists category will suffer. John Wall has been historically better at Assists than Irving has. Currently, you are hanging by a hair in your Assists category because you really only have Wall as a reliable Assister with small, but unreliable contributions from Hayward, Stephenson, Parsons, and Gasol. If you trade away both Wall and Stephenson, that could be 4 Assists per game that you're giving away. Especially when you have two injured players on your roster (if you haven't traded away Rondo for Gordon), it's important to keep the depth you have. It's very hard to get Assists from the waiver wire.

3. Your waiver wire is very weak right now, based on your screenshot. I don't even know who I'd pick off your waivers to replace the players you lost.

4. I think that Lance Stephenson will still maintain an important role with the Pacers even when Granger and Hill come back from injury. He's already proven himself, and Granger will probably need to reestablish his value before he starts chipping away at Stephenson's role. Stephenson will probably continue to share the ball-handling duties because Hill is not very ball-dominant as a Combo Guard, which is good for your team.

5. While Wall has been slumping, Irving has, too. Irving hasn't been playing like the first-round pick he was supposed to be, and he hasn't shot many 3-pointers, which is a big part of his value. Part of that might have to do with Mike Brown, in which case I would be less confident in Irving improving from his slump than Wall.

I don't hold all the answers, but those are my feeling on the trade.

7. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Never tried NBA Fantasy before, only been part of some NFL leagues in years past.
    But a guy from a Ravens board needed one guy for his 12 team NBA league, so I thought what the heck.

Didn't even really have time to read how it worked and what gave points before the draft as I joined the day before the draft.

But anyways, if anybody would like to give their input on my team, and potential trades I should try to get done, it would be appreciated.

Like I said, it's 12 teams. FG%, FT%, 3-pointers made, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK and TO give points. I'm currently leading 5-4 in my matchup this week. Leading so far in FG&, FT%, 3-pointer made, PTS and Rebounds. Don't seem to be to hot in steals and blocks so far.

My team is:
    Damian Lillard PG
    Eric Gordon SG
    Michael Carter-Williams G
    Gordon Hayward SF
    Lamarcus Aldridge PF
    Demarcus Cousins F
    Brook Lopez C
    Zach Randolph C
    Jamal Crawford Util
    Omer Asik Util
    Bench:
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
    Ray Allen
    Jared Dudley
    Kris Humphries

8. senter

senter Member

That's a pretty decent team. Some goods: Lillard, Aldridge, Hayward, Cousins (if he can contain his temper)

Of concern: Omer Asik is in a tough spot. He's never going to be very consistent as long as he's playing with Dwight. Eric Gordon is injury prone, but solid if he's healthy, just watch out for injuries. Michael Carter Williams will come back down to earth (already has?) but will still be solid. I don't know where you drafted him, hopefully not too early. If there's still interest around your league see if you can sell high on him. Ray Allen is great for 3's, but he's really old and could be a prime candidate for rest towards the end of the fantasy season/fantasy playoffs. Normally I'd clump Z-bo with the goods but he hasn't been the fantasy monster he's been in previous years. Maybe he'll pick it back up though.

Finally, Kris Humphries. Drop him. Now. haha. Post your waiver wire as well so we know who is available

9. senter

senter Member

All fair points. I respect it. I'm still leaning towards wanting this trade. The other owner said she'll get back to me today after she saw how they played last night. Kyrie was a monster, but Wall was spectacular as well. Stephenson managed 15 points but his field goal percentage was ATROCIOUS. Amir Johnson and Nicholson were solid. She could back out after Kyrie's game last night, but we'll see. If she's still interested, I'm going to make the trade. Either way, I'll keep you posted

10. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Eric Bledsoe
    James Harden
    Klay Thompson
    Blake Griffin
    Dalembert
    Gordon Hayward
    Bosh
    Mo Harkless
    Eric Gordon
    Sullinger
    Bynum
    Gallinari
    Jason Thompson

14 tm league, points based weekly matchups. How did I do?

11. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Thanks, I got MCW in the beginning of the 8th. He was looking like a boss, so I thought it was a good spot to take him.

Lol. Kris Humphries was autodrafted as I had to skip the last round.

The top 25 on the waiver wire is:

A. Len
    K. Caldwell-Pope
    C-Bud
    Jet
    E. Brand
    M. Webster
    M. Barnes
    M. Williams
    K. Koufos
    L. Williams
    D. Wright
    P-pat
    M. Dunleavy
    L. Ridnour
    G. Davis
    H. Turkoglu
    C. Frye
    B. Bass
    B. Rush
    C. Lee
    K. Hinrich
    A. Miller
    J. Thompson

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe I am crazy, but...

In a standard 12 team h2h 9 category Yahoo league, which would you prefer between Harrison Barnes and Omri Casspi?

Barnes was impressive last playoffs, but if you look at his numbers, his per minute stats really didn't change, he just got nearly 40 mpg due to David Lee's injury. Now with Iguodala joining the team, will Barnes have much value if he's back to 25-30 mpg off the bench?

Casspi is of course not secure in his minutes, but he is rebounding, hitting 3s, and getting quite a few asssists, too.

13. senter

senter Member

Sorry bud, Barnes > Casspi. Casspi won't maintain these numbers all season. He'll probably be bouncing around your waver wire throughout the season so if you really want to grab him, you can do it later on in the season if there's an injury to someone else on your team.

Caketown, she had second thoughts about the trade and backed out. Kyrie's game last night made her want to hold on to him. Sighhh, oh well, maybe this is a sign then haha. She did say she's down to trade Nicholson if I still want him. What do you think, Burks for Nicholson? Trey Burke is coming back soon for Utah and I just don't see Burks getting many minutes. He already doesn't get that many as it is. What say you, oh great one?

14. thisiscaketown

I suppose you might as well, seeing as you have quite a few Shooting Guards, and Tobias Harris will take some time to get back into game shape.

15. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

So I've stuck with your suggestion, gotten rid of DeRozan and picked up Tristan T.

Bit nervous after his last game stinker but see the potential for DD's and will keep him on for the time being unless you suggest otherwise.

Currently on the W.W.: Jeremy Lin, Kyle Korver, DeJuan Blair, Eric Gordon, Amir Johnson, MKG, John Henson

Recently added to W.W.: Larry Sanders, OJ Mayo, J.J. Redick

My current team:

James Harden SG
    Kobe Bryant SG/SF
    John Wall PG
    Kemba Walker PG
    Jeff Teague PG
    Chandler Parsons SF
    Jeff Green SF/PF
    Carlos Boozer PF
    Tristan Thompson PF
    Chris Bosh PF/C
    Anthony Davis PF/C
    Serge Ibaka PF/C

Stick with team as is for moment, or better option than Tristan T on W.W. ?

16. thisiscaketown

I'd get rid of Chandler Parsons for Eric Gordon. Keep Tristan Thompson for now.

17. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Done.
    That leaves me with Jeff Green as the only SF option, but I guess there's enough talent on the WW to pick someone up if something happens to Green.

18. thisiscaketown

My thoughts exactly. There's also the hope that Kobe comes back sooner than later.

19. senter

senter Member

Caketown, how do you feel about Ryan Anderson? Is he worth Stephenson? Or burks and korver?

20. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

So far so good for my 'beginner' FBB team. My record is 2-0 and today I had a good start to the new round.

One of the other teams dropped Kenneth Faried.

Any suggestions on whether I should add him and drop Eric Gordon, or wait to see how Gordon goes over the next two days/games and hope that Faried is still available afterwards?

My current team is:
    James Harden SG
    Eric Gordon SG
    Kobe Bryant SG/SF
    John Wall PG
    Kemba Walker PG
    Jeff Teague PG
    Jeff Green SF/PF
    Carlos Boozer PF
    Tristan Thompson PF
    Chris Bosh PF/C
    Anthony Davis PF/C