1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Asik?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 5, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe we should.

I love the guy but he just does not fit here, and we have players that need playing time like Smith, Jones and DMo that can get the job done in a much more efficient manner.

He is a round peg in a square hole, can't catch the ball, has no game outside of 2 feet, and he and Howard are occupying the same space.

The team chemistry is noticeably better when either he or Howard go to the bench and we only have one Center on the floor.

We do not need Asik, he is a valuable trade chip, and he will never be as good as Howard - so get something for him now.

If you think he could net us a good PF, then by all means, get one....get an expiring contract to save the 8m cap hit next year.

This team has a chance to win it all this year, but will not be able to keep up with the better offensive teams with Asik and Howard playing together, they just are not good enough offensively or defensively against bigs that can shoot.

Just my .02

DD

3 people like this.
  2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

You're crazy if you think we should trade him. They might not be the best fit having them both starting, but its a HELL of an advantage having a 7 footer that can defend well and rebound on the court at almost all times during the game. Something we sorely lacked last year when asik was on the bench.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

48M elite paint protection and rebounding vs more O. I said 48M elite paint protection and rebounding at this point. After Howard / Asik, we got no one that can protect the paint. If we do a trade for a PF, we also need a good 15M defensive backup center.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hear ya, but I just don't think he would be happy in a 20mpg role, and in all honesty, we would have Dwight on the floor for 36mpg, so you are only talking about 12mpg, and I think we could cover that with others on the bench.

They may not be Dwight, but they would be a better team trading him and his contract, IMO.

DD

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

We really should. The twin tower's isn't working and it's affecting Harden's and Dwight's game.

We need to try to pry Milsap from Atlanta. Good all around PF, statistical All star, excellent contract.

People complain about how valuable Asik is, but a PF that has a very good all around game are just as rare.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean...depends what power forward we could get. Shouldn't just trade him for the sake of trading him, but if a good deal is on the table then I'd do it.

7. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I say no to the trade... but Mchale should stop starting both howard and asik... and start staggering thier minutes more...

8. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I can't see us trading him until the trade deadline when teams are scrambling to get pieces, Or scrambling to suck it up for wiggins.

Patience is the key

9. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I agree and disagree, but 12 mins is a LONG time in the NBA. If greg smith wouldn't have went beast mode last night, we would have got blown out of the water while dwight AND asik were on the bench. I just think theres more negatives than positives trading him at this point. Maybe after the season and we can package lin and asik for a dominant PF or even KD whos rumored to thinking about coming here. but at this time, or even this season. I see it hurting us more than benefiting us.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Asik isnt going anywhere unless we get a legit player in return

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, it is just a matter of time, but I do not think the trade is now. We can not have two big men together, who both do not much offensive skills, then expect to have a quick start in a game. We will see the result tonight, then could have a better discussion.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

Clearly, Asik and Howard do not fit together but I still value his Asik's defense and rebounding. We're gonna need asik defense and rebounding going up against the elite teams, especially in the playoffs.

Having said that, he is making too much money for a center playing behind Howard. I would only trade him if we get higher value for him.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

I can agree with this, but only if the Rockets are able to sign Okafor after he recovers from injury. He has a good defensive presence, and there is a good chance that Pheonix will buy out his contract. Thus, the Rockets will be able to use the MLE on him.

Win-win: keep the rim protection, get a true power forward.

However, this is in a couple months, and the Rockets should work on trying to make the TT happen.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I laugh at this - who would you trade him for, and what do you do then when D.H. is in foul trouble?

Hasnt worked so far? By what measure?

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"Should we trade Player X?" always seems to be a meaningless question to me because it is incomplete.

The question makes no sense unless you know what Player X is supposed to be traded for.

Should we trade Asik for Kevin Love? Of course!
    Should we trade Asik for Paul Millsap? I think so.
    Should we trade Asik for Kris Humphries? Hell no!

16. Play07

Play07 Member

I would have liked to have saw morey sign a vet strech PF like antwan jamison, clippers signed him for the vet min. this summer. That would have allowed us to keep asik as a BACK UP for when harden gets in foul trouble. Morey did a good job of signing vet min players but dropped the ball of the vet min PF, now he is in a situation where he may have to trade asik and rely on greg smith as a back up. I think I out thought morey on this one.

TT starting 1st quarter
    Bobcats 19 Rockets 17
    Jazz 24 Rockets 16
    Clips 42 Rockets 25
    Rockets 38 mavs 22 **asik got in trouble first min of game and see what happened

offense has never been a problem for this group, its a old saying if its not broke dont fix it, but guess they wanted to at least give it a try, but as you can see its not working, you take a risk everytime you start with the TT line up and have to play catch up ball, it worked against weaker teams JAZZ BOBCATS but catch up ball wasnt going to work agaisnt a strong offense like clips

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Of course the Rockets should, but it depends on who you are going to get back. If they can package him and someone else to get a good 4, then yes.

18. Apache

Apache Member

Asik should back up dwight. Rockets need a pf who can space the floor.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

I would have liked to have saw morey sign a vet strech PF like antwan jamison, clippers signed him for the vet min. this summer. That would have allowed us to keep asik as a BACK UP for when harden gets in foul trouble. Morey did a good job of signing vet min players but dropped the ball of the vet min PF, now he is in a situation where he may have to trade asik and rely on greg smith as a back up. I think I out thought morey on this one. we dont need a superstar PF just a good role player that can knock down the three and have decent defense like PPAT. Getting howard was a great upgrade on offense vs asik because his hands and finishing around the rim. Jamison/casspi would have been a good fit and you could throw asik out there when u needed to go with TT

TT starting 1st quarter
    Bobcats 19 Rockets 17
    Jazz 24 Rockets 16
    Clips 42 Rockets 25
    Rockets 38 mavs 22 **asik got in trouble first min of game and see what happened

offense has never been a problem for this group, its a old saying if its not broke dont fix it, but guess they wanted to at least give it a try, but as you can see its not working, you take a risk everytime you start with the TT line up and have to play catch up ball, it worked against weaker teams JAZZ BOBCATS but catch up ball wasnt going to work agaisnt a strong offense like clips

we dont need a superstar PF just a good role playerthat can knock down the three like PPAT and jamison

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Asik is an elite defender and rebounder. Unless you are getting someone back who is elite at something, he is not going anywhere.