1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Benching of James Harden by the Coach Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden had a poor game and did not get off the bench in the 4th quarter even when the lead got down to 9 or 10 points. Kevin McHale explained that he decided to go with the guys on the floor (Howard, Casspi, Parsons, Garcia and one of Brooks or Lin) and the game later got away and there was no point putting Harden back in.

I think this shows that any player can get the bench in the 4th quarter, not just players that McHale supposedly is biased against. Maybe next time we should believe a coach when he says that his lineup decisions are done for the purpose of trying to win the game.

1 person likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin's team leading -27 deserved a benching as well.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

5 star thread. Not being sarcastic.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It's because he is friends with Lin. That'll teach him. :eek:

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Mchale hates harden!!!

6. booyah

booyah Member

What about Parsons? Dude was playing like crap the other day and he didn't get benched. Enough with this nonsense that he brings another element to the offense by cutting and slashing to the rim. BS.

McFail has to be doing Parson where the sun don't shine after the games.

7. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Harden was playing unreasonably uninterested last game. As he's of no use then 4th quarter benching mainly to let him rest for the next game.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've always found McHale to run more of a merit-based system than our previous coaches in JVG and Adelman. Although in fairness to JVG our roster was severely lacking in depth so it's not certain it's his fault. But Adelman definitely had his favorites and stuck with them.

9. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

You know what Mchale told Harden in the 4th quarter.

"Hey James we are trying to win!"

10. Carl Herrera

One game +/- really doesn't mean anything. Much of it is just luck. Harden was somehow only -11 tonight but he was clearly struggling-- not only shooting badly, but more importantly losing his man on defense time and again.

Now if a player has a team worst +/- game after game, then you may have something.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've never thought that Parsons ever played like crap. I've seen where his performance wasn't very good, but never him just playing badly.

12. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Of course we should believe his heart wants to win, but that doesn't mean he always know what he is doing..

13. CCM721

CCM721 Member

We've seen Harden play terribly before, then come out and completely take over in the 4th quarter.

14. Carl Herrera

There is a difference between shooting badly and playing badly, which fans often don't understand. Parsons had a couple bad shooting nights to start the season, but he was otherwise still playing his normal game and contributing.

Harden tonight was both shooting badly and playing badly. The shooting part wasn't even the important part of the equation. It was frustrating watching him lose Redick and Crawford and leave them for open shots time after time. He was also playing lazy iso-ball on offense, once missing a wide-open Francisco Garcia in the corner to dribble the clock down, only then to throw the ball to Garcia when Garcia was already covered. He was just lethargic overall-- not quite the TMac Toronto game level of lethargic, but pretty frustrating to watch still.

I don't know what's wrong with him. Perhaps the ankle he sprained in Utah was acting up and he didn't have the energy. But this was a bad night for Harden. Pretty sure he has plenty of good nights in him, though.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Who cares?
    Can anybody ask Mchale why we are suck on Pick n Roll defense ?

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sometimes I think Harden looks like he is playing hungover. We all know he likes to go out and LA is his hometown. I think it's entirely possible he stayed out way too late last night with his boys. Champaining and campaining as Jalen would say. Either that or he was playing hurt.

17. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I still don't care for McHale's 4Q benching philosophy. Should've benched Harden earlier in the 1st quarter, make him rethink his effort on defense, and let him play the 4th quarter to close out especially since CP3, Griffin were still in the game. As much as I hated Harden's lack of effort & decision making, I still wanted to see if he can take over the fourth. That's a Harden thing we should always roll with.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When will posters learn that McGrady came off surgery but otherwise carry on.

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You're the only person who seems to agree with me, but I also vote hungover. This seemed like more than just an "off" night to me, and he is known to do the irresponsible late night partying/drinking before games. And LOL @ champagning and campaigning -- I keep saying I want to put that on a tshirt.

20. RocketPowerNick

Clearly hungover.