1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. N/A

N/A Member

I see, so even just using pure stats isn't good enough for some of you. Unbelievable. I didn't even mention the fact that Paul had support from day 1 while Lin was yanked around pretty much his entire career. If basing their stats on per 36 isn't good enough, I don't know what is. A hyped up name is given at least 3 (starters) years to grow and develop but for some reason, Lin, a non-superstar can't even get that. Are people even aware Parsons has played longer than him with one year less time in the league?

2. timyeung

timyeung Member

LOHs are even more annoying.

And true is spelled TRUE.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stockton was a whining flopping POS and only player I hated worse than him was Karl Cheapshot Malone.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

And people say bench Lin because harden needs the ball to run offense, good luck with trying to make it out the first round doing that

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Harden deserves a lot of criticism for tonight... all warranted. He was completely absent on the defensive end, and couldn't make a three. Took some bad shots too. He was a real mess.

Having said that, this is not the norm with James Harden on offense. He's more often than not a much more effective player. Defensively he'll probably always have issues.

I would be surprised if the Rockets don't go back to Beverley as a starter the moment he's healthy.

6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I get what you're saying. But tonight's game and last gave vs. Jazz shows that we need a reliable 2nd unit and is exactly why I still want to see Lin off the bench. And I say this with the clear understanding that I don't think Lin has done anything to lose his starting spot. We need a 2nd team that can come in and shore us up when the 1st unit or Harden/Howard has a bad night. Eventually, I want to see McHale rethink starting the TT EVERY game and moving Asik to the 2nd unit also.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I think Brooks is playing himself into the 2nd unit. He plays well with Casspi and Garcia.

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lets hope they don't go back to Bev. The Rockets need their offense to flow, and with Harden and Asik on the floor together the offense needs to come from somewhere. Howard and Asik need easy shots created for them by Lin and Harden. Lin played a good game tonight, if the rest of the starters would have played as well as him we could have won the game. It would have been really nice to have Bev tonight, and although it would have helped we still wouldn't have won the game.

9. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Lin was able to make some good plays when he's running the point. I don't know why we did not milk it a bit more.

10. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Wrong thread :eek:

11. Jeffey

Jeffey Member

Even though I prefer Lin as the starter, I wouldn't mind it at all if Beverley came back as the starter, why? This would perhaps make them appreciate Lin a bit more once they see that Harden will have to work extra hard for his baskets.

12. Drphil

Drphil Member

As a Lin fan, I'd like to see Lin come off the bench. I've been saying it since the Knick days. Lin always does well when he leads a team of rag tags. He turns nobodies into superstars. Remember when Jared Jeffries, Landry Fields and Steve Novak was relevant?

It'd be great if he can turn Casspi, Smith, Garcia and the rest of the starting bench into this.

Beverly compliments Harden's assets with his D. Still, we've seen glimpses from last year that Beverly compliments Jeremy Lin's assets better when the two are playing together but Jeremy isn't the focal of the team so this isn't going to happen.

This is really the best way the team can be heading to.

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Agreed that this is not the norm for James Harden. While I would also agree that Bev will probably be the starter, I wouldn't be surprised if they stay with Lin. He's been playing pretty well thus far, and I thought he played decent tonight for most part against the best PG in the league. Not to mention the bs foul calls. If Lin continues this play and we win a majority of our games, it would make sense to continue to go with it.

14. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

I thought Lin did great offensively in the 1st half, was the only Rockets in good control, gave the team some really good looks they just couldn't make. Should've gone for his own scoring too once the team couldn't hit. But wit the exception of this game, we have Harden for that in the 1st unit & if Harden is not going to improve defensively, I want Beverley in the starting lineup, next to Harden, 24/7.

15. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I am somewhat leaning towards Bev to start so that Lin can play his brand of basketball. Did you see the screen from Smith? That was PnR at its best.

16. strifed169

strifed169 Member

This team is so stacked getting by on talent alone, too bad their maestro of a coach is a clueless git, imagine this team if they ran the type of plays the Warriors do

17. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Smith was the best Rockets big on the court in this game. All the reserves did a really great job, if only our main starters played with half that effort, game could've been closer.

18. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

He did pretty good. I am happy for him.

19. timyeung

timyeung Member

I understand the logic behind putting Lin with the second unit, especially if our second unit needs a scorer, someone who can attack the basket and score against the opposing team's second unit. However, that will also place a lot of responsibility on Harden in running the first unit's offense. That can break you down physically in 82 games. I remember Harden got injured in the first game too, not just Bev. And we will definitely need a healthy Harden for the Playoffs.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

So Bev and AB are unreliable?
    The 1st unit is already weak offensively, should we make it even weaker? And then fight an uphill battle?
    That's a different story. Having Bev and TT would be suicide offensively. But TT gives us great D and rebounding. The West has many TTs, as we saw in Utah, and OKC, Spurs, Grizz, Denver. If we are in the East I would think it's a good idea. And playing Harden like AI is just as dangerous. Seems like he is already banged up and fatigued. He won't be able to play defense if 90% of the offense in the first unit relies on him. Dwight right now isn't exactly a superstar offensively.
    So when Reddick scores, Harden will switch to Paul, then Paul scores and he switches back to Harden, etc etc? 24/7/365?

Come on, that's fine and everything but it's good to be a bit more objective!