1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA, race, Rockets

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewAge, Nov 3, 2013.

1. TexanCowgirl

TexanCowgirl Member

Thanks.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What about tennis, hockey, and soccer stars, they often become professionals at even younger age? Still, out of all the professional leagues, the NBA and NFL have the highest and fastest rates to bankruptcy among their athletes. I did not say it wasn't high in MLB or NHL, but they do not seem to happen at faster pace or rate. Again, that's coming from research, not me ... I am not hoping and wishing this as problem. It's just there.

3. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I'm going to take issue with this, because I never actually said anything or suggested any derogative about black american athletes in general (Please go back and read my response carefully, thank you) or said that race mattered in the discussion, since my response was specifically drawn to what OP (New Age) said and related to what RiceDaddy's inital responses about Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin. He said he did not get excited about Yao Ming (because he was a new immigrant, more or less), while Jeremy Lin enamored him more, because he's an American born Asian American whose family has been here for generation.

I simply responded that there are many qualities about Yao Ming to admire beyond his racial background, nationality, or his general (new) American experience who any basketball fan could be proud of, while the case with Lin who is breaking alot of barriers does at times leave things to be desired on the basketball court.

I simply countered to say to RiceDaddy that there are several black-American WHO do exhibit undesirable qualities and distasteful behavior, which is a reason I am not a fan of some of those players (and NEVER will be) and that their RACIAL IDENTITIES are IRRELEVANT in my reasons for not being their fan and more for their character and manner of conducting themselves or lack thereof at times. I believe I know what I am talking about in a rather competent and judicial manner.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Why do we need more black owners in the NBA?

Why don't we need more Native American owners?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Probably since Black players have been so predominate in the field, and have such a background and history in the game.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why don't we need more Native American Chinese restaurant owners?

7. dback816

dback816 Member

And that means we need more black owners...?

What exactly does having more black, indian, combodian, etc owners accomplish?

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

nobody needs any type of owner.

But it would make sense that teams and the league made a huge amount of money from a large percentage of black players. So you have a number of black people with an in-depth understanding of the game. It would make sense that instead of just being at the player level of an organization they should also have some ownership positions.

The league doesn't need black owners, nor do you or I need for there to be black owners. But it makes sense for there to be black owners.

#28 FranchiseBlade, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well depends on the sport. I don't know about hockey or tennis but Soccer stars do have this problem too..

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...-bankruptcy-rife-among-former-players-charity

It's not about the age that they become professionals...it's about how some of them are treated and where they come from as well.

Also though soccer for example works differently for youths than in this country.

I just think a lot of people aren't prepared to suddenly become millionaires AND the fame that comes on top of that doesn't help.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This a group of 30 - 35 individuals each with enough net worth to purchase $500 million assets, bankroll $60 million annual payrolls and net maybe a 2 - 3% profit margin, which means it's not their primary business or investment. No group this rare or unique should be held to any standards of demographic diversity.

11. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I disagree. I don't see any obvious correlation between being an amazing athlete and excelling at the sport of basketball to being very business-savy and lucky enough to be a billionaire. It's not like the NBA is a business where you get promoted to the top ranks if you do well enough, that's the NBA front office structure, not the owners structure. Requesting diversity among a group of 30 basketball-mad billionaires seems pointless, since I doubt there would be any benefits. Even if you tout that they will have more 'in-depth understanding of the game', that didn't stop Jordan wanting to screw the current players over in the CBA.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Like I said, I don't think there has to be, and Jordan certainly wanted to screw over players, but that's just the kind of guy he is. I don't think there has to be forced diversity of NBA ownership, just that it would make sense for some former players to be able to be good owners.

14. dback816

dback816 Member

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have affirmative action for NBA ownership eventually.

And then if some black millionaire groups are lacking in funds, the IRS can just tax some extras from Asian companies.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They'll get around to that as soon as we have some Native American Chinese restaurant owners. That's first on the list.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What? I said there doesn't need to be and no reason to force black ownership. But if you want to pretend that's what I'm saying, then you may.

There are people that are partial owners of teams who happen to also be black, so I don't really see a huge problem.