1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate my Fantasy Basketball Team (beginner)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by OldfanofTmac, Oct 28, 2013.

1. senter

senter Member

Wow awesome analysis. Can you do this with my team please?

10th pick, H2H 9cat

Here's my team:

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about picking up Francisco Garcia and dropping Korver. What do you think? Also, definitely need to get rid of Bargs ASAP

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Having 2 injured guys will make your team suck early this season and who knows for how long.

3. thisiscaketown

Since you didn't post the order in which you drafted, I can't critique your every draft pick. I will attempt to analyze your team.

I would not have chosen Chris Bosh, Amir Johnson, Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo, and Andrea Bargnani. My reasons are:

Chris Bosh: He is an extremely frustrating Head-to-Head player because he is not used to being a traditional Center, so he will often get less than 5 Rebounds in a game. He is the last mouth to feed on offense out of the "Big Three". You will get 20+ Point, 11 Rebound games, and then you will get 10 Point, 3 Rebound games.

Amir Johnson: Rudy Gay is a decent Rebounder at the Small Forward position, and Jonas Valanciunas is a good Rebounder as well, so Johnson has slim pickings as far as Rebounds go. Since he is mostly a hustle player, getting few Rebounds diminishes his value greatly.

Patrick Beverley: My personal preference is to have Point Guards that produce 5+ Assists per game. My gripe with Beverley is that he doesn't produce many Assists per game because Harden and to a smaller extent, Parsons, are the main ball-handlers for the Rockets' starting unit. He's also playing the Mario Chalmers role for the Rockets, so his offensive production will fluctuate a lot, which is bad for Head-to-Head, where each game matters.

Rajon Rondo: He's going to remain injured for a very long time. He has never been at the level of a first-round pick because of his lack of 3's, bad Free-Throw Percentage, and high Turnovers, so it's not worth waiting until December at the earliest for him to come back.

Andrea Bargnani: He has historically been slow coming back from injury. He's a volume scorer on a team where he isn't guaranteed shots every game and he's not a strong Rebounder, so he has a difficult time fitting in with the Knicks. That bodes badly for you as a fantasy player.

If you can post your waiver wire, that would help me help you. Your team is not very strong in any category, and it badly needs Rebounds and Blocks, so some players that might not be picked up in your league that should be picked up are Miles Plumlee and Vitor Faverani. They will get all the minutes they can handle, and they have shown that they are promising players.

4. thisiscaketown

Yes, Anthony Davis would be better because he has a better Free-Throw Percentage and gets less Turnovers.

Yes, you technically win the matchup. However, that doesn't really mean much anything in regular Head-to-Head, because all of the categories that you've won and lost each week are totaled. For example, say only 6 players can be in your league's fantasy playoffs. If you won 5 categories and lost 4 categories every week (thus, winning your matchup each time), but 6 other players won 6 categories and lost 3 categories every week, you wouldn't be able to make the cut for the fantasy playoffs. In Head-to-Head Points, it does matter, since whoever wins the matchup gets a win for the week while the loser gets a loss.

As for a "fantasy basketball for beginners", I'm not sure I can help you that much on that. You can probably try the FAQ sections of Yahoo and ESPN fantasy basketball. What would help is reading through the Rotoworld Fantasy Basketball Forum: http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showforum=5

5. senter

senter Member

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding Bosh, I see your points, but with Dwayne Wade being limited already this year, Bosh gets bumped up to number 2 on that team. Amir Johnson and Beverly were late picks for me, so I felt good about taking them. You make good points about Amir, but I do see good fantasy value in Beverly since he is a great 3 point shooter and can rebound decently. While his assists are low, I have Wall and (eventually Rondo) to boost my assists. Rondo's lack of 3's can be made up by waiver wire pickups. Bargs is garbage. I don't know what I was thinking. I'm definitely going to drop him after tonight.

Anyway, that's my team! Here's the waiver wire. The guys you mentioned were already snatched up unfortunately =/

[​IMG]

6. thisiscaketown

I'm not sure Rondo will come back soon enough to help you in Assists, but I admire your confidence. At least Hayward, Parsons, and Gasol are good at their position at getting Assists.

If Tiago Splitter hasn't been picked up, pick him up. However, since it seems like all the top waiver-wire players were taken, he probably won't be there, so you might have to pick up Jordan Hill or Josh McRoberts to supplement your Rebounds. Now that I see the situation, you'd better keep a close eye on Steven Adams and not drop Amir Johnson, because that waiver wire is slim pickings. In the meantime, pick up Alec Burks and drop Andrea Bargnani. This should help supplement your Assists category.

7. senter

senter Member

Alright man, you're my guiding light at this point. I trust your input because you back it up with good points haha.

So I dropped Bargs for Burks (good riddance) but now Beverly is hurt. I can't survive with 3 injured players for 3 weeks. Someone is offering Marion or Favorini for Beverly. Should I take one of those deals?

8. thisiscaketown

I would do Faverani for Beverley, since you definitely need Rebounds and Blocks. You're fine at Small Forward with Hayward, Parsons, and once he comes back, Kobe, so you don't need Marion.

9. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Mourning-Bonner Rajon-Harden

Hi guys, this is my first season playing fantasy basketball. I think i went OK in the draft, but had no idea what I was doing for the first 3 days into the season and the other members of the league purposely gave me inaccurate information half as a joke / half to make sure I wasn't competitive (which I don't have a problem with as it was stupid of me to listen to them in the first place and lazy for me not to read up on the rules).

So, as a result, I had Kobe in my starting lineup for the first 2 games (soooo stupid) and had Boozer on the bench for yesterdays game...the only player in my entire team who was playing that day!

Despite all this, I'm only around 30 points behind the guy I'm up against this round, although the sooner today's games end, the better, as he has Griffin and Dragic on his team!

So, going with the "don't get mad, get even" principle I want revenge and I think I've got the team to do it.

I'd love a draft analysis if someone has time to do one, and any advice on changes I should make would be great

Firstly, it's H2H Points 8 team league

Most importantly, my team name is Mourning-Bonner Rajon-Harden

Draft order:
    (4) James Harden SG :cool:
    (13) John Wall PG
    (20) Anthony Davis C :grin:
    (29) Serge Ibaka PF
    (36) Kobe Bryant SG :confused:
    (52) Kemba Walker PG
    (68) Jeff Teague PG
    (77) Chandler Parsons SF :cool:
    (84) Kyle Lowry PG
    (93) Danny Granger SG

I immediately realised I was guard heavy and PF light so got rid of Granger for Boozer.

And here's the point system: (PTS) 0.5 (BLK) 3 (STL) 3 (AST) 2 (OREB) 2 (DREB) 1.5 (TO) -2 (FGM) 1.5 (FGA) -0.5 (FTM) 1.5 (FTA) -1 (3PM) 1 (DD) 5 (TD) 10

I love the analysis you've been providing so far.

10. thisiscaketown

What does your waiver wire look like?

11. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

I can't post images yet. Do you have to post a certain amount of times before that's allowed?

Here's the top 25 on the waiver wire:

Zaza Pachulia, Mil C
    Jameer Nelson, Orl PG
    Mario Chalmers, Mia PG
    Ray Allen, Mia SG
    Vitor Faverani, Bos C
    Lance Stephenson, Ind SG
    Tony Allen, Mem SG
    Tristan Thompson, Cle PF
    Brandon Bass, Bos PF
    Steve Blake, LAL PG
    J.J. Redick, LAC SG
    Jordan Farmar, LAL PG
    Tiago Splitter, SA PF
    Jordan Hill, LAL PF, C
    Manu Ginobili, SA SG
    Amir Johnson, Tor PF
    Wesley Johnson, LAL SF, SG
    P.J. Tucker, Pho SG, SF
    Josh McRoberts, Cha PF
    Kyle Korver, Atl SG
    Matt Barnes, LAC SF
    Jodie Meeks, LAL SG
    DeMarre Carroll, Atl SF
    Chris Kaman, LAL C

12. thisiscaketown

It's unfortunate that you can only have so many players on your team. I would probably drop Kyle Lowry for Vitor Faverani because it seems he will get many Double-Doubles and Blocks in his future, and he shoots the occasional 3-pointer. Lowry also is limited as a fantasy player as long as he's playing alongside Rudy Gay and DeMar DeRozan.

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

What yall think?
    H2H - Pts/Ast/Reb/Stl/3pm/Blk/AF%/Ftm

[​IMG]

I'm pretty thin on blocks.

14. thisiscaketown

I think you should trade Michael Carter-Williams to me.

15. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

What's your name so I can check your team if I like anyone.

16. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Thanks for the advice.

Should I maybe wait until Kobe is back before letting go of a guard (Lowry)?

What about getting rid of Boozer and picking up Tristan Thompson?

17. thisiscaketown

I wouldn't wait, because a double-double is worth more points, and Lowry doesn't put up many stats with his situation. If you haven't dropped Kyle Lowry yet, I take back my advice about picking up Vitor Faverani, since it seems either the Celtics haven't fully committed to him, or he isn't in good enough condition to play heavy minutes. Tristan Thompson would be the better substitute.

Tristan Thompson's good, but I wouldn't let go of Boozer for Thompson because he's very consistent, and he's the second option on offense for the Bulls. His percentages are also better as well.

18. TerryGoldfain

TerryGoldfain Member

Thanks once again for the great advice :)

So just so I understand 100%, don't drop Boozer. Instead drop Lowry and that won't be an issue in terms of guards as not including Lowry and Kobe I have 4.

Then pick up Tristan Thompson instead of Amir Johnson, Brandon Bass, or Andrew Nicholson?

Also, DeMar DeRozan has been waived. Should I just do a straight PG swap for Lowry?

btw, just FYI, after the terrible start, mentioned in my first post in this thread, I won my first round 857 - 835

19. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Don;t drop Korver, he's a fantasy beast.

20. senter

senter Member

Airbud, yeah don't worry, I didn't haha :D I was panicking after 2 games. But I still got him on my squad.

caketown! Few questions for you: So I never ended up trading Bev for Favs, the guy reconsidered after Favs had a couple monster games. He's come back down to earth since so I don't feel too bad. I ended up winning my week 1 match thanks to Korver's 6 threes against the lakers. Anyway, someone offered me Eric Gordon for Rondo before the season started. I rejected it because Gordon is injury prone, but the uncertain timetable for rondo (plus, they may want to just continue tanking and sit him) has me wondering if I should reopen that trade. I dont know if the guy would still do it, but I was wondering if it is even worth it to ask? Also, was wondering if I should hold on to Alec Burks or drop him for Nene or Dion Waiters (or Derrick Williams). Looks like Nene is back at practice today but he's super injury prone. Waiters is streaky and Williams is... well... Williams. But figured one of them might be worth a spot on my squad for Burks. What do you think?