1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Patrick Beverley Injury [Update] Partial torn muscle, out 10-14 days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Oct 30, 2013.

1. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

I come into this thread to check up on Patrick Beverley's status and I see a bunch of posts about Lin. Seriously? Does Lin have to be in every single thread? Is there that much insecurity?

2. Reach

Reach Member

Don't ask questions you already know the answer to.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You implied I said it. but anyway, I actually praised lin for his effort to fight through the pain. I had a chest cavity contusion and that's is painfull as they come and I had the pain in spurts for months so I know chest pain.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just curious why do LOF's like you have do over analyze pbev 10X worse compared to true rockets fans?

5. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

I only hope he's not out for a significant amount of time. If Lin starts we're screwed.

6. conquistador#11

you were screwed when you thought a pg can play a one man full court press for more than 18 minutes a game on anything other than back ups. Eye tests are meaningless when you don't factor in every variable. ;)

7. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Don't worry, Rockets won't start Lin if Beverley is out. They'll start Brooks ;)

8. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

If only he were a taller tree stump...

You'd think that he could be a defensive pest like muggsy but his offensive quickness never translated to anything on defense.

9. autoprt

autoprt Member

good info this morning, nice to read the forum without seeing the usual daily version of WWIII.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

u could almost post this is 99% of the GARM's threads now..

i cant be bothered reading through all the lin debate so does anyone have an update on bev?

11. gene18

gene18 Rookie

So true.

12. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Excuse me Lin Knows how to score just as much as Beverley. The only thing he lacks is defense idiot.

13. demarco1

demarco1 Member

If they start brook, then What mchale siad and reason to bench lin is true, which is helping and leading the second unit, but if they start lin, then all reason behind patbev appointment as starter are meaningless, they just want pbev to be starter.

that's not good... that's mean mchale really want to demote lin and not for him to lead second unit.. so let's see tomorrow...

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am absolutely shocked to see that this thread has become about Lin. I never would have guessed that would happen.

Hope Bev gets better.

Hope the trolls break their hands so they can't type.

15. DocRock

DocRock Member

I assume you're talking about the 1st Q when Lin got burnt by Calderon. The game is posted online man. Both guards almost always went over the top of picks. And both got beat.

And you're talking about fouls when that's Bev's main problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MlyRzka1g

@34sec goes over, lin stays stride for stride, calderon passes
    @1:38 goes over, lin gets left, calderon perfectly paces his drive with Dalembert so Asik can't help, pulls up @ the FT line (make) lin could've recovered with better effort
    @1:50 goes over, lin gets left, pulls up inside (make) Perfect screen. Asik should've come out
    @2:30 turnover, 3-on-2 break, Harden & Lin lazy getting back. Asik stops Harden's man, and it ends up in Calderon's hands after a few passes (make) Lin could've gotten back on this one.
    @3:07 [Harden on Calderon] Harden goes under, Calderon passes up an open long 2 to Dirk who misses an open 3
    @3:30 goes over, gets left, Dwight/Asik never step up to contest, Calderon gets into the paint, passes back to Dirk who misses another wide open 3
    @3:55 goes over, lin stays stride-for-stride, Asik helps contain, the roll man scores. Bad angle by Asik/late help from Dwight.
    @5:26 Harden never gets back on D, Calderon leaks away from Lin to the 3pt line, (Rockets playing 4-on-5 with Lin caught between 2 guys at the 3pt line) Ellis bricks an open 3, backdoor on Lin by Ellis
    @5:53 [Harden on Calderon] Give and go with Dalembert. Either they were playing 3-2 Zone D on this play and Calderon found the seam, or Harden gave up and Lin has to foul covering for him, with nobody in the paint. In any case Asik is out waaay too far. Dalembert can't hit 3's lol.
    @6:50 Lin over-helping in the paint. Leaves Calderon all alone a the 3pt line. Thankfully Dalembert isn't a passer
    @8:03 Calderon works both sides of a shuffling screen with Dirk. Lin goes over. They reset, fully shoulder-to-shoulder, Lin goes under and Dirk steps out into Lins path, steps into him, and turns him. Calderon shoots an open J (Make)

I have to stop here and talk about this one. On the first attempt, Dirk is not only sticking out his @ss, he's half sitting on Lin as he tries to wrap around. On the second, there was no daylight on this pick. Calderon and Dirk are basically standing shoulder-to-shoulder, with Dirk's feet way out. Either way he went, Dirk would've moved into him. Its the same pick Garnett sets, and what we need from Asik/Dwight.

@8:42 Lin goes over the top, gets left, Calderon gets to 12ft (make) Lin could've recovered
    ---Asik out---
    ---Lin out---
    ---Dirk out---

@9:40 Bev goes over the top, gets left, help is there immediately, pass deflected by Dwight (Bev is close though I doubt Calderon would pull-up)
    --Calderon out for Gal Mekel--

@12:00 Bev goes over the top, gets left, floater at the FT line (make)
    @13:12 Bev goes under (no choice, the screener hurls himself at Bev) help is aready there, pass
    @14:45 Bev gets screened before halfcourt, Mekel takes off, another screen at the wing, gets left, Mekel misses a 5 footer, everyone over-helps, Lin has already lost his man, but rotates to someone elses 33% 3ptFG shooter instead of back to his own assignment (40% 3ptFG)
    @15:55 Bev gets screened, gets left, Asik has to foul Mekel
    End of Q1

Summary:
    -Lin goes over every single time except the Dirk moving screen.
    -Bev goes over every single time except the time the he got shoulder-checked by the screener.
    -Lin sometimes over-helps on scrubs like Dalembert and forgets his man who shoots 50% from range
    -Lin sometimes gets scored on covering for Harden
    -Bev generally keeps tabs on his man and doesn't make foolish mistakes helping

-Calderon can't get any separation without a screen on Lin.
    -Calderon can't get any separation without a screen on Bev.

-Calderon can't stay in front of Lin at all on the other end.

-Lin and Bev usually fight over the top and both get left on screens. (see: Kemba Walker vs Bev)
    -When Lin gets left, he gets passive chasing his man down. (i won't kill him for it in preseason, but it can't continue)
    -When Bev gets left, he is much more aggressive chasing down, and will recover on slow dribble penetration (that dribble-around-in-the-paint-and-make-a-play thing Nash, Parker, CP3 do)
    -Neither can stop a quick shot off a screen. Need help to prevent that.

Bev is absolutely the better guard to defend a Westbrook/Kyrie Irving high iso usage type PG.
    Lin needs work on D, but its more about effort, focus, and being more intelligent about his help D.

But neither one of these guards can defend the PnR or screen. No guard in the NBA can. The whole point is to take Bev out of the play. All you can do is have good help from your bigs.

1 person likes this.
  16. New

LOL. No, he was able to move around at least...

17. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

The troll who started it was the one who said "Lin prayers got answered" (proably a fake LOF) and it escalated from there.

18. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Beverley is day to day --- so has anyone heard about today?

I hope he plays, he said the other the day that he would.

We need everyone to be healthy for the team to win!

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Came looking for a Beverley injury update-

Got a Lin debate

All is right in the world of the GARM.

20. bongman

bongman Member

I believe coach will make a decision after practice today to see the current health of the players.