1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Dwight Howard Break the Team Record for Rebounding in a Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JLOBABYDADDY, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Can he do it?

1. Yes. I think it is possible.

42.7%
  2. No. There won't be enough boards available and he won't play enough minutes.

57.3%
  1. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I know it has only been 1 game. And I know there are 81 to go. But it would be stupid to ask the question in April. If you think it's to early to speculate, please hit the backspace button and clock on the next thread. He got 26 last night. The record for a single game is 37. The record for the season is 1,444. He had some foul trouble in the first half last night. I think had he stayed on the floor he would have gotten about 29 or 30.

He would need to average 17.5 over the last 81 games. Do you think he has a chance at either provided he plays all 82 games. My only reservations are (1) Asik will take some of his rebounds and (2) there will be some blowouts when we start clicking, and he might not play a lot of 4th quarters. The reason I think it is possible is because of the ease with which he grabbed boards last night. Many unchallenged.

Even if you think 1,444 is too early to talk about, 37 is legit. His game career high is 26 and his season career high is 1,161. His career average is right at 14.

2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Most rebounds he's averaged per game in a season is 14.5. No way he does 17.5 for the rest of the year, specially with Asik also taking in boards.

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Fixed for the internet grammar police.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I actually think Asik creates opportunities to get more rebounds. The way our team defense plays allows for more spacing. Asik takes two guys on him and vice versa. One or the other will get the Rebound 65-75 percent of the time.

5. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I am going to say he get 15.7-16.2 Rebounds a game with about 19.7 pts per game.

6. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Nope. This is the bobcats.

7. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I thought about this too. Also Asik will be boxing out their biggest guy, leaving Dwight 1 on 1 with power forwards for the board. They may only play 15 mpg together, but he got about 7 boards in the first 7 minutes they were on the court. I started the thread and asked the question because I'm seriously on the fence.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He'll probably average 13-14 a game when all is said and done. He was amped for the first game, but realistically he won't sustain that for the entire season. He'll have a month or two where he's averaging something like 19 and 11.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

No one has averaged more than 15.4 since Rodman retired. I just don't think it's a feasible target in the modern NBA game.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

woah, woah woah. calm down, skip

11. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Do you think he'll break the single game team record of 37? Will he even break 30 this year?

12. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I'm expecting no more then 15 a game personally, probably between 13-15. I agree with you on pts per game though, I think he'll have around that

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm sure he could if he set his mind to it.

But I'm sure that's not his goal this season.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@OP
    You can't break Moses Malone's record, because Moses didn't really get that many rebounds. He essentially used to pass the ball to himself off the backboard to get better position. Plus, Moses played 40+ minutes.

Possibly true, but just per minute. Asik also allows Howard to sit more. Moses set that record for the Rockets on a team with little support...so he got 41.3 mpg. Howard won't get much more than 36 mpg, maybe less. And that's because Asik gives us the luxury to sit Howard that the Rockets didn't have with Moses.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No on both. He has a chance to break 30, but it is very unlikely.

17. Centerville

Centerville Member

His career average is 13.0/game and he hasn't played in all 82 games since the 2009-10 season. So, no.

18. TheresTheDagger

Two words.

Moses Malone.

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It is possible if you are already a great rebounder and you spend most of your energy on just rebounding like Rodman did in his later years.

We need Dwight to do more than just rebound.

20. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

24 hours ago I wouldn't have even made this thread. But what stands out to me more than the number 26 was how little effort it took. Dennis Rodman scrapped for every rebound. Last night Howard was plying them down like a magnet. With ease. If he had to hustle, tussle, and scrap to get to 26 then I'd say no. But he barely broke a sweat. I voted No btw. Just playing devils advocate.