1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The Day T-Mac Lost the City of Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 14, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my view on mcgrady has been consistent

it's all the people who think mcgrady was on bad teams that are hypocrites

mcgrady was on bad teams
    -"look at all the 50 win teams he led the Rockets too" = not bad team

JVG is his best coach
    -his stats aren't as good as Orlando (see JVG being a slow tempo defensive coach)

I can go and on.

Kobe?

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

This! Look we've great players that gave it their all, and that their careers in Houston didn't end well. These players are human and get frustrated as well, including Hakeem who requested to be traded in 92. At the same time it is what it is and things like that aren't going to erase what they did for the Rockets. McGrady had a huge offensive responsibility every night when he was with the Rockets, I don't think anyone can deny that, and for the most part he carried the load. You know, no one talks about the Jazz series when the dude took cortizone shots in his knees to alieve the pain before the games and still had some incredible games including 40pts + performance.

#702 Rocketeer, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I was always a TMac defender (look at the Orlando teams he played on...terrible rosters especially when looking at the quality of players they played in all of those losing first round series).

But I was watching this game live...and when I saw him do that...even having Bill Worrell call him out...that was it for me. I have never seen a player do something like that and went from a TMac fan/supporter to a TMac hater immediately.

Then pulling the surgery when he is on the front page of ESPN mentioning a potential trade to a lottery team...that was it.

That dude can rot in his mansion for all that I care.

Keep preaching, Tinman.

2 people like this.
  4. Lovemachine2000

Actually, that goes well for me too, and likely for most fans.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

because we're in the same wutang clan here, i'll tell you my thoughts on maxwell.

as noted on a thread i posted a long time ago. maxwell felt regret for what he did. it was wrong and it was mainly because he was upset the rockets didn't offer him an extension at the beginning of the year, then they traded for drexler.

maxwell is emotional, we all know that. we're talking about a dude who pulled a gun out at lubys. his pride was hurt and it got to him.

he later expressed his remorse in an article in the chronicle and still says he loves his old teammates. fast forward to now, maxwell still gets love from kenny, sam, etc. also he's going around teaching kids how to play hoops and explaining how to live a better life and not make the mistakes he had.

i'm happy he turned himself around.

McGrady has always been about himself, you know this. listen to his interviews. even the recent ones. "woulda, coulda, shoulda"

They asked Max if he deserved a ring for the 2nd championship, he said "No, I wasn't there".

You know I've defended McGrady before against the YOFs, but his true colors showed and we all know why Clutch made this article.

Cause it's true and we'll always respect #1 cause he represents us. ESPECIALLY US 99ers.

1 person likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I love the drugs you are on.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's ok to turn on fans, spit on them, cry to get your way, and fake your injuries as long as you bring a championship? got it.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I think the only reason you replied to the post that was not intended for you is because you are jealous that I'm talking to a Rockets fan who is more knowledgeable about Rockets history and who's purpose here is pure.

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

t-mac did so many great things for the rockets organization. props.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Before ya'll get all sweet on TMac, here's a stark reminder of his true colors:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TjbkXewxlGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Obviously he needed surgery, thank you for providing video evidence.

12. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

Damn dude the guy is retired. I tend to remember the better stuff than the bad. Let it go. He got a nice cheer from the crowd. Let him have it.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I thought the ovation T Mac got last night was well deserved. He gave Houston hope of championship contention for many years. He lead us in a 22 game win streak. He made Houston Rockets basketball exciting to watch. Yeah towards the end of his career with us he may not have performed as well, but he was injured. Can't blame an injury on someone (except Bynum).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/D5KjSA29Rhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

T-mac was a guy that was fun to watch. He didn't make others better, that's a fact. He showed his true colors when he quit at mid-court and it was emblematic of why throughout his career he could not win a playoff series. Yes, Hakeem asked to be traded but instead of quitting he got better, not T-mac.

As much as I dislike how it ended for T-mac, I enjoyed seeing him at the game. It showed maturity he didn't have when he was playing.

Chuck Wagon, Scola....guys with 1/25th of the talent of McGrady who over performed instead of under. T-mac could have been better than all of them and instead we debate whether he deserves to be in the HOF or not. Mental not physical. Guys in the NBA go through more pain then McGrady, you don't hear about it because they aren't little girls about it.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No one is perfect. We all know Tmac made mistakes.

But I think the cheers are deserved. His impact on the franchise was overwhelmingly positive.

16. arjun

arjun Member

you are so wrong...tmac didnt make others better? lmao

tmac was a little girl abt it? i specifically remember him single handedly leading us to 6 games against utah...without yao, without a pg for 2 games..and with knee and shoulder injuries. ur a HATER.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

We were never close to contention while Mcgrady was here.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Tmac's passing was on par with Lebrons. This is a bad post. Watch a few games before you relay the way TINMAN felt about him.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Absolutely wrong. Had we been able to trade him in 2009 like we wanted, we would've had a legitimate shot to win a championship. Do you remember what happened next? He chose to get microfracture surgery which killed his trade value. We were forced to keep him, and as a result, we used Yao as our workhorse and rode him into the ground.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yao was breaking down before that whole Tmac fiasco.

Like I said, overall, he had a positive effect. There was one year where he made bad decisions.