1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member

On many teams, Lin would be the starter. He's played well this preseason, and nobody can deny that.

As many have said, the fact that Lin is very talented works AGAINST him in this case because of the possibilities of him leading the bench. If he had lesser playmaking skills, then he might just be stuck in the starter spot because management don't want to bring an $8 million player off the bench. But in that case, he wouldn't have gotten that contract in the first place.

Lin will thrive no matter what. He's fought back from much harder obstacles before.

2. basketballholic

Backcourt minutes:

harden 34
    Bev 31
    Lin 31

If harden gets more minutes it will be moving him down the SF or PF for a super small-ball lineup. But there will be a lot more blowout games this season. I don't expect harden or Dwight is going to average much over 33 minutes a game.

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Go back to your hole you stupid idiot.

4. RocketPowerNick

No one should feel bad for Lin, because the Rockets team will be a legit. contender in great part to Lin's help w/ the 2nd unit.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Lin was brought here to be the sparkplug and playmaker on a relatively weak squad. As sixth man running the B team, he'll get to do just that.

2 people like this.
  6. monk92

monk92 Member

Are people (LOFs) really getting upset about this? I seriously doubt Lin's minutes will go down all that much and his usage and numbers will probably go way up. I have no idea why you LOFs get so pissed about arbitrary stuff like this. If he plays 15 minutes tomorrow night then get on here and complain, but if he is playing a Jarrett Jack or Jason Terry type role with 30 mins a game and running the show when Harden isn't in the game then what is the problem? I understand the majority of you LOF's aren't rockets fans, but I expect you guys to at least understand that being the starter doesn't automatically make you the best at the position. Thabo Sefolosha and Willie Green can tell you that, Beverly's skills just fit with the starters better

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

We're just worried that (1) he won't actually be the free-rein facilitator, even with the 2nd unit; (2) his minutes will be significantly reduced; (3) and he is being phased out of the team.

But hopefully, he'll still get ~30 minutes team as well as significant autonomy to run the offense when he's in the game.

8. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Jeremy Lin is such a bust now, Knicks made a smart move getting rid of him</p>&mdash; Flugga (@A_Flange) <a href="https://twitter.com/A_Flange/statuses/395312050312065024">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lmaoooo Patrick Beverly starting over Lin... I told y'all Jeremy Lin was that good trash</p>&mdash; Maeskro Motley (@TheeTyMotley) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheeTyMotley/statuses/395311056672677888">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Haha Jeremy lin sorry ass is gonna come off the bench</p>&mdash; Oscar G (@OscarG_Player) <a href="https://twitter.com/OscarG_Player/statuses/395309001698582528">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I told yall Jeremy Lin was gon be sorry af</p>&mdash; Frank Lucas (@Super_Human22) <a href="https://twitter.com/Super_Human22/statuses/395315336452788224">October 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

lol these reactions

9. tada

tada Member

In that case, Rockets needs to win the title in next two years or both Asik and Lin would be gone. There is no way Rockets are paying $8M to both backups. There are lots of team in need of starter caliber Center and Guard in the NBA. Plus I guarantee Asik will jump ship first chance he gets. He left Championship caliber Bulls to come here for a chance to start. Also, Jlin will gladly take a pay-cut (if he has to) to play starter on other team.

10. zdrav

zdrav Member

Very good way of putting it. He seems to play best with Novak/Jeffries/Fields types of players anyway.

11. tada

tada Member

Reported. Hate Keyboard tough guys...

12. zdrav

zdrav Member

Who cares what those morons think? And LOL at the guy praising the Knicks' management decisions. That team is going nowhere fast and Melo will never win a title there. Oh wait, they got Bargnani! Watch out, Heat!

Let the haters have their field day. Lin will win in the end.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

14. TheGoldenGreek

If Asik stays it won't be as a backup. And I don't think the Rockets will have any problem paying Lin $8 million to be a sixth man on a championship caliber team. See Ginobili on the Spurs.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Actually thinking on it, it might be closer to Dragic - Lowry situation where Dragic is Beverly and Lin as Lowry, except with defense being the draw instead of offense.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

The Rockets have no cap space and Parsons will demand a big pay day (as he should).

17. tada

tada Member

Same for PBev as well. He will and should commend starter money ($6-8 M) after his contract expires.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People say this as if China just puts Lin over every player, they are basketball fans.

Jersey sales would tell you this. Lin wasn't even top 10 in Jersey sales world-wide (a list Howard has made at 7) Rose was #1 in China. Even when Yao was at his height players like Bryant and even his own teammate Tmac had more jersey sales than him.

The Chinese market is not going to blindly just support Lin because of his ethnicity, they support players they enjoy watching and the best players.

So he's not even the most popular player on the team (Dwight is) and he's not bigger than the team in popularity.

1 person likes this.
  19. Caris

Caris Member

I really feel sorry for Lin as a person and as a basketball player. ALL he did was work hard on his game (and he improved), supported the team, praised his teammates, followed coaches' instructions, and believed what he was told.

He does not deserve to live through the consequences of being demoted.

20. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

I would have no complaint if Lin gets to play 30 minutes per game coming from bench. But I am not convinced he will get to play a PG even when Harden is not playing. We will see. Lin's not a great shooter; he's a slasher/passer, although his long-range shooting probably improved. I do question though how coach Mac went about announcing this arrangement. He should have just come out and said it from the beginning, because everyone knew when he said Bev and Lin would alternate as starter, that Lin would come off the bench.