1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. iku

iku Member

2. tada

tada Member

Yes, first comment is racially stereotypical where it's played out numerous time in Hollywood movies (remember Harold and Kumar?) and in real life. I don't see you raise a flag then or now. So what, now you feel that's a big taboo or something? Get off your high horse son.
    Also, Jlin is superstar. He's not Allstar, but he is Superstar with Billion fans. Get your fact straight.

3. rokit

rokit Member

Am i wrong for thinking he'll never be a starter again in this league?

4. garfangle

garfangle Member

Nope, unless the Lakers find a use for him.

5. jackycool

jackycool Member

It doesn't surprise me nor should it surprise anyone. I think Lin and Harden together could work beautifully and make the best backcourt in basketball given time and the right development but since the team got Howard, the Rockets are in win-now mode. Beverley fits better next to Harden at the moment and Lin's skillset would be better recognized off the bench.

Let's just hope McHale treats him as a legitimate 6th man and scoring option off the bench and not a backup to Beverley (which I bet we will) and they should both be fine. Lin is still the better player in my opinion but Beverley will be just fine in the starting five.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you confuse me is he a Superstar with a capital S or superstar with a small s?

1 person likes this.
  7. zdrav

zdrav Member

Mainly because the team has to find a way to pay Parsons. Also, if Beverley does become a starting PG, he's gonna eventually want more than $500 000 or whatever pittance he's making right now.

Can the Rockets really afford an $8 million sixth man and an $8 million dollar back-up to D12?

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not surprising since..

1) Lin stepped out on the court in the playoffs with the "deer in the headlights" look.

2) Beverley performed decently in the playoffs in his place once Lin sat out with the injury.

The coaching staff of the Rockets lost a little faith in Lin and given that you cant say for a fact that Lin is absolutely better than Beverley (each does a few things better than the other), it really wasnt that hard of a decision to experiment and see how Beverely works out with the new starting unit.

Add in...

1) Harden and Lin dont particularly have a good chemistry together

2) Lin can help the Rockets with his scoring off the bench.

...and this makes it almost a no-brainer tactical move.

9. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

He'll be a starter again, just not here. He does break defenses down and has exceptional speed.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

nope! doesnt mean he wont have a long and successful career though.

11. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Member

Can anyone give me a credible source confirming Lin coming off the bench?

Could only find a couple of vague references to Chandler Parsons mentioning the line-up will be similar to last few preseason games but no direct quotes.

12. tada

tada Member

Or how about bring something to do the topic? Instead of wasting and bloating threads?

13. zdrav

zdrav Member

Do the Rockets have an entire continent that would unconditionally follow them?

14. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Honestly, I just feel bad for him (even if he doesn't). He didn't do anything to actually warrant "losing" the starting job. Of course he didn't actually lose it by playing bad or by Beverley playing better, but it seems worse to me to lose it because of "fit." Preseason was preseason. Why not let the original starters stay starters (of course with the exception of the 4 spot) and see if Lin himself fits in actual games?

Oh well, hopefully it works out and I'm excited to see what happens. It's going to be weird hearing Beverley's name during the starting five announcements instead of Lin, who was brought in just last year to be the unquestioned starting PG.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

He's only 25 and just completed his first full season. Beverley could turn out to be a dud. Lin could vastly improve.

The future is not at all set.

16. coffeelover665

I'm extremely surprised at how well the pieces fit for this team. Harden now has 100% control of the offense, Dwight Howard for the pick and roll, Casspi for the kick out 3, knockdown interior defense, lockdown perimeter defense,

Then there's the second units that could play with any starting lineup. I get the sentiment at how people are mad that Lin is coming off the bench, but I think this is the right spot for him. He is now in a position to succeed. This second unit consisting of Dmo, greg smith, lin, garcia, and casspi/beverley is basically the NY team that he inherited during linsanity. He'll initate the offense 100% of the time, find the outlet passes, alley oop for greg smith, pick and roll with dmo, or give dmo the ball and let him work the post.

I'm very excited

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yep. He's a slightly above average PG in my opinion, but he is unique given his ability to penetrate and generate offence. He can definately be a starter, i mean hell he proved he was capable enough even with injury/adjustment last year, and he should only develop from here on in

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

gosh it feels like yesterday that AB was grumpy cause he didnt get a contract extension, MIP, nekminit hes our 3rd string PG....

19. jayland

jayland Member

Here we go.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. TheGoldenGreek

This is such good news IMO. Lin moving to a sixth-man role is not an indictment on his play but a pure matter of fit. Lin is a better player than Beverly but he is a great fit for this team off the bench. He will enter games with nothing on his mind but attacking the rim and creating offense which is when he is at his best. A playmaking guard off the pine was one of the most glaring needs for this team and after some roster reshuffling I'm happy to see we've addressed the need internally. Kudos to McHale and kudos to Lin for always being a class act.