1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets to begin season with Beverley, Asik as starters; Jeremy Lin off bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Lin is a great guy and a great teammate. He also knows he can showcase his strengths better now as well.

2. itstheyear3030

It is a good thing for the team. As for Lin, I'm not so sure. Maybe in the short term it is good for him because it'll give him freedom to play his own style of basketball and (a big) maybe pad his stats in case the Rockets decide to dump him, which they probably will. However, in the long term, being a 6th man is in no serious basketball pro's interest unless they have superstar level talent ala Manu/Harden. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think Lin can ever be superstar level talent.

3. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Lol I remember those conversations. I also remember after we drafted Canaan people saying Jeremy was now expendable because they penciled in Canaan as the backup PG.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

If he can take on a more integral role as a 6th man, then Lin is better off this way.

I think Lin's kind of in that tough spot where he's not good enough to be a star (yet), but he's too good to just be a functional one-tool role player that Beverley kind of is right now.

Lin's kind of like that office worker who's decent at everything, so he sometimes gets tasked with all difficult and boring jobs that nobody wants. But because he's not some blazing superstar, he doesn't get to call his own shots on the kind of work he does.

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Am perfectly fine with Lin coming off the bench, but to say that he got beat out by Patrick Beverley to start is just totally ROTFLMAO!!! :grin:

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

Wow, what a big man. Predicting a team WON'T win a title. Tell me another one. The Texans won't win the superbowl? The Astros won't win the World Series next year? Man, that's some astounding prognosticating there.

Get serious. Most of the people here want to entertain rational basketball discussions. Only a handful seem to enjoy flinging excrement at each other.

I'll refrain from referencing some of your earlier posts and let you decide which is which.

7. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

He started last year and now is not starting. Please tell how he was not beat out?

8. tzou88

tzou88 Member

All the people grumbling about Lin being the 6th man apparently forgot about Manu and Terry...

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also Mchale...also Harden for OKC....

10. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

He is not a superstar level talent, unless he drastically improve his defense, handle and range. A good comparison is Calderon, who has similar passing abilities and became a very good shooter in the latter part of his career. His defense is still his weakest link.

Lin needs to be much more physical in his defense and stick to his man. He helped way too much with himself being the one who needs help the most.

11. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Exactly. Honestly, I'd probably prefer Jeremy start, but I'm still excited for the team. I'm also excited to see how he looks handling the offense without always having to hand the ball off.

I think he'll be a good sixth man, and our second unit needs someone like him leading the charge, just like Manu and Harden did. And guess what... those teams with them as 6th men were championship teams, something that wouldn't have happened without them in those roles. Hopefully this leads to us being a championship team as well! :)

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Not surprising.

Difference between Lin/Bev in starters is nothing compared to Lin/Bev with the second unit. Just maximizing everyone's effectiveness and contribution to the team. Lin gets to have a bit more time being ball dominant and Beverley gives us that consistency coming out of the gates.

Pulling for 6th man of the year Lin!

1 person likes this.
  13. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Lin is a class act for sure. Only those who hate him can't see that and want to trash him at every chance. Take another player he will demand trade right away. Even Asik wants to be traded and he is being displaced by the best center of the league and a sure future hall of famer. Lin loses his starting job to a much less player than Howard and someone with less offensive and playmaking skill than him and with less experience in NBA. It is tough. But Lin is a team guy and wants to do whatever it takes to win. Salute the guy.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Man, I keep getting more and more excited about the season. Not only do we add great players, but I get the exact starting lineup I wanted as soon as all the changes were made.

Defense!

15. zoids

zoids Member

Thank you for saving me $200 to go watch the Rox game when they are in town. I became Rox fan during the Dream's championship years and was disgusted years ago how Yao got treated by Rockets fans (anyone is better than Yao mentality) and this is a new low (anyone better than Lin). Feel bad for Lin but I am not going to spend that kind of money to watch my favourite player sitting on a bench after seeing Linsanity up close and personal 2 years ago.

My friends and I will be supporting the Rockets at home watching stream this year.

I never visit Houston or lived in Houston so no need to insult me for not being a Houston team fan. I only got interested in Houston because of Olajuwon then Yao&TMac and now Lin&Parson so all your homer logic doesn't apply. Kthxbye!

16. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

He was not beat out because Beverley never earned it by being a better player than Lin. He earned it by being a lesser player - he can't lead the second unit. When you put the ball in the hands of Patrick Beverley and ask him to go lead a unit on his own with no Harden and no Lin, sure, he plays safe, but the unit as a whole makes many of us go "arrrrghh... where's the god-damned offensive cohesion!!!"

Putting Beverley in the starting unit allows HArden to cover for his offensive and playmaking deficiencies. Deficiencies that are grossly exposed when Beverley becomes the primary playmaker. Playing Beverley with Lin also covers for the same deficiencies. Thus, Beverley "fits" with BOTH Harden AND Lin because he can do the defense thing while they concentrate on leading the unit and creating the offense.

Beating Lin out for starting spot? ROTFLMAO! I wonder who beat Manu / Harden / Terry out for their starting spots... :grin:

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Don't bother. I'll take that as a renouncing of fanhood...

18. itstheyear3030

That's the point. If you're a 6th man, but don't have star level talent, then you're either setting yourself up for a career as a two-bit bench/role player or you're on your way out the league. So it is ultimately not in Lin's interest.

19. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I wonder if James Harden fans went full emo on the internet when he got selected with the 3rd overall pick of the draft and became a 6th man.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Man, either I'm getting old and/or posters on here some more and more childish. "Kthxbye?"

There's not too much Lin trashing here. Just people realizing Lin is (a) better suited as a 6th man and (b) he probably won't be here after next year in any case.