1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be our starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Oct 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who should be the starting PG?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverley

225 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Jeremy Lin

416 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

So when Harden is injured, who is the next playmaker for the team when Lin is gone?

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lin is going to be untradeable. He is owed 20mil over the next two years or 15 million next year. Is Lin worth 10mil/yr? or 15mil?

3. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Today's interviews: McHale <a href="http://t.co/RtV1Ol5w52">http://t.co/RtV1Ol5w52</a> Harden <a href="http://t.co/41niC3exlq">http://t.co/41niC3exlq</a> Lin <a href="http://t.co/Gx7TWmOS7v">http://t.co/Gx7TWmOS7v</a> Beverley <a href="http://t.co/88ZWJEfJHU">http://t.co/88ZWJEfJHU</a></p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/394913852963307520">October 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm gonna leave this here and hope that it settles the debate for now (because it sounds like its' settled on the Rockets' behalf). There's no way you're not excited for opening night after hearing the guys talk! Everyone's sacrificing, buying into their role, I love it! :)

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

this is my own opinion. lin is worth around 8 mils, definitely not below 6 mils. over 10mils will be ridiculous.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

IF Harden is injured is what I think you meant to say

6. SevenMinuteAbs

Can someone just post some James Harden stats with Lin and with Beverley?

Shouldn't this settle the debate?

7. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Hahahahaha. Settle the debate. That's funny.

8. itstheyear3030

Someone did; it was more or less a toss up. As you can see; didn't really help.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

LIN - of course every player would want to start, but me being a offensive spark coming off the bench and a ball handler with the second unit works best for the team, me coach and Beverley have all talked so its just what’s best for the team.

First official time I can confirm it being a 6th man role, (not just from people on CF). Good news for lin fans, rockets fans and the team in general.

10. trock

trock Member

It was pretty obvious Bev was going to start. I think that was decided way before preseason started.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It's a really smart desicion. Lin will get PT. You can expect Bev to be in foul trouble plenty this year.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What you mean again, LOL I never had a conversation or debate with you on this forum.

WHAT man this is the 2nd thread on who should start. I've already stated several times that Lin should still be the starter. Where the hell have you been, since we on here playing Captain Saver and Sh**. bwhahahahaaha

We will see who the starter is Wednesday.

13. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

So according the the interviews from Rocket's site, it is now settled that Lin is coming off the bench. Just curious, whatever happened to taking the ball out of Harden's hand as the major difference in this years' game? Who's going to be the primary ball handler?

14. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

According to who? We definitely aren't going to take the ball out of Harden.

15. Gil

Gil Member

Harden is the best player as well as playmaker on the team.

He should dominate the ball like Wade, LeBron, Kobe, Jordan etc have done in the past.

The PG position is incredibly overrated. Just need someone who can knock down the open shot, limit turnovers, good above average D and make hustle plays when you have a guard like Harden. Bev fits the bill.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Lin will be able to dominate the ball and run the second unit as the sixth man. It's not really a demotion. Who will finish ball games is the true question.

17. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

It depends on matchup and whoever has the hot hand. I would be comfortable with Beverley finishing games when we are up against dominate scoring point guards....unless Lin is having a game where he is flat out on fire!

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah right we will see and you will get to be internet wrong or right. Or I will come over and whoop you with a shoe. I'm joking actually. Just having fun. Maybe it wasnt you.. sorry about that. I dont really care who starts I just like bev starting but thats just me. If its Lin I will be fine too. Maybe its Lin. You are probably right amigo.
    also its the bobcats wont really matter.

19. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Pretty sure it's Bev, Lin didn't even finish games as the starter.

20. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree that it is certainly obvious now (and certainly by the Memphis game when Bev started twice) that Beverley will start, barring injury to Asik or Howard (I think the TT experiment clinches it for Bev). I am not sure it was decided before the preseason; I think if there were a clear winner it might have changed it. I think that McHale probably prefers Lin in the backup role (gut and his careful wording) but it doesn't bother me. It's reasonable to support either as a starter.

I think the two performed pretty evenly and I personally think, given that Lin was the starter all last year, that it would have been better to see if he could mesh with Harden/Howard/Asik. He was the incumbent and I'd prefer he had a chance to keep his job since Bev wasn't clearly better than him (as opposed to Howard, who is clearly better than Asik). Also, Lin is the better passer and I like his ability to attack and bc, frankly, his 3 point shooting is as good as Bev based on the time when both played. Also with Howard, Asik and Parsons on the floor I feel that we've got pretty good defense in the starting unit already. In addition, I prefer his game with Dwight over Bev who's not nearly as good at passing. Having said all that, there are numerous reasons why Bev as a starter would work too (extra defense early, Lin probably better in the second unit, fewer turnovers, etc.).

In any case, I think this team will kick butt. Lin will handle the 6th man job well and professionally. The way I see it, we're spending $9M on our point guard position. That's a good number and with essentially two starters, we are in much better shape in case of an injury. I would not ship out either unless we had a can-refuse offer. Let's just enjoy the ride folks. It's Kenny and Sam part 2.