1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be our starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Oct 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who should be the starting PG?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverley

225 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Jeremy Lin

416 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

2. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

NBA coaches, and a lot of basketball coaches, are used to players openly lobbying for minutes. It's a political decision. Anyone who's ever played on a basketball team knows this.

Certain players (coaches' son obviously, star quarterback in football, or a star player in another sport, a kid whose dad was well known as an athlete, etc.) are going to be favored, for reasons which have absolutely nothing to do with their ability to play the game.

I had teammates when I played openly lobby the coach, literally get in their face and demand more playing time. They would do this repeatedly and the coach would give in.

This tendency is far more powerful in the nba, where coaches are easily fired and players, with guaranteed deals, very difficult to move.

Lin's disadvantage is that he will NEVER lobby for minutes, much less a starting spot. And it's already working to his disadvantage.

Lin is not helping himself by ignoring the critical element of politics in influencing, and sometimes forcing a coach's hand.

The net result will see lin playing fewer and fewer minutes in a continuously diminishing role. This will probably hurt the rockets as well, with harden being overburdened once again with triple duties as scorer, playmaker, and now, with a self appointed role of defender.

Hell, even yao started to become more physical and aggressive eventually. Lin's going to have to assert himself, and put this nice choir boy crap to the side.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

There are more people here trying to crucify the other side than rooting for the team altogether.

This team has no PF, just start Lin and Bev with Parson at the 4 like the Knicks do Melo. Give it a shot and see what happens.

4. steady

steady Member

I don't think Lin's going to put aside the choir boy stuff, much as it would be nice if he would sometimes. ;) That's his experiment.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

It happens to everyone.

Bigger sample size/ more minutes -> production rises , efficiency fall.

Lin doesn't have this problem, because he played 82games.
    His sample size can't get bigger, not to say his injury recovery last year.

6. Reach

Reach Member

Beverley outplayed Lin in the preseason. Even the most ardent LOF's can't really refute it.

7. dahobo

dahobo New Member

I've read this forum for a long time since the days of Tmac and Yao but i have never joined or posted but yes i am a knicks fan and i love jeremy lin mainly due to my ethnic origin being taiwanese and growing up abroad dreaming about being the first ethnically asian point guard to start for the Knicks from the age of like 8. Anyways i find all this talk about Lin a little extreme in here, i like to think the skies the limit for lin, it didnt happen overnight for me when he signed for the knicks as i'll be first to admit the first time he ever came off the bench he sucked i thought nothing of him, but the knicks pg situation that year was a joke and linsanity began for me on the 24th january a week after i heard he had dropped a triple double in the d league i know people say it's only the d league but it's not like every nba journeyman player who goes there throws down a triple double, the knicks had lost 6 in a row but against the hapless bobcats it was a blow out to end the losing streak. They sent in Jeremy lin with around 6 mins to go and he just tore them to shreds had 8 points 4 assists 2 boards and a block, but it was just the speed and effortless way he got to the hole, i think all knicks fans there that days thought let's give this kid a shot we needed more dribble penetration in the worst way. People started calling for him and that's why on the that fateful night in feb when he came in the fans cheered loudly and it wasn't just the asian fans it was a lot of fans because we knew he brought something different to the table.

Anyway i just wanted to prove im not a LOH troll posting this but i think people need to chill out about Lin not starting, it really doesnt matter as long as he gets good minutes say 28-32. He's only really had about two years worth of experience (let's roll in his first two seasons as his rookie year). I'm a big harden fan from before they teamed up, where was he in his third year? coming off the bench, paying his dues, killing it as the sixth man of year for a stacked team. He never moaned or complained despite knowing he was a top 5 SG (at least!!!) that year. People openly debated how long he would be happy with that role and what the thunder could do to keep him. I don't think Lin should think he is above the sixth man role yet and i doubt he does either. It's a great role to show off what you have he only has to look at harden to see that. Harden earned his right to lead a team with the playmaking efficiency that won him the sixth man award, based on last year jeremy hasn't done that yet. Mchale, if he chooses to put him jeremy that role shows that his attitude has changed last year he wanted to hold jeremy back stop him being a home run hitter taper his game, but you can't change a players true nature (it's like asking JR smith not to shoot bad shots) and he knows it now he wants to give jeremy a better role to showcase his talents and help the rockets win. Bottom line get lin aggressive for the get go, all too often he'd settle into a game and stay passive for long stretches. If Jeremy settles into this role and blows it up to the tune of 16pts, 50% fg, 40% 3pt, 6 assists,4 rebounds, 2 steals and 2.5 turnovers then the ball will be completely in his court just like it was hardens, he is still young and time is on his side, people talk about being sixth man like it's a demotion and a lifelong one at that.

8. kastuul

kastuul Member

No.

He has impressive D with on-ball pressure.

Whether he can sustain the energy is questionable.

Lin was the top 5 PG with steals.
    He can't sustain after ASW.

9. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Especially when you're talking out of your ass with no stats to back up your completely clueless opinion.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Aaron Brooks should start.

DD

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

In a vacuum you start Jeremy Lin.

unfortunately the world is not in a vacuum and we have a set of ingredients here we need to best utilize. You can look at ego and start Jeremy or you can look at team and start Beverly. I chose team and chose beverly. I started preseason thinking lin but having watched the preason, the defense that Bev gives you and spot 3 shooting is just a great tone setter for the game.

Here's why I chose Bev:
    -We need to punch the other pg starter in the mouth right off the bat. Beverly sets the tone from first moments of the game
    -Having significantly annoyed the starting PG with Beverly as the 'fluffer' if you will, then you bring in Lin to run some nasty offense with 1st team and clean up. Nasty reinforcements.
    - 2nd unit has no real scoring that they can create themselves. We need parsons and Lin with 2nd unit to provide scoring.
    -Casspi and Garcia cant create their own shots. Lin can help them with this.
    - As far as finishing games it can go either way. We close with whoevers hot and within context of game.
    - We take pressure off of Lin even more and allow Lin to flourish. a 2nd team with Lin coming at you is very nice!
    - Lin still gets starters minutes many night and overall I might even say 60/40 in terms of minutes in favor of lin vs. bev.
    - Bev is a tone setter and gets us that first lead, Lin cleans up

I have gone 180 on this and originally was thinking bev for 6th man. Now for this team and what we need I like bev right off bat setting tone and Lin coming in and balling free nilly willy. It just makes more sense for this team and what bev and Lin can do for this team.

12. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ppl here voted for Beverley due to his fit with harden. to state he outplayed lin is overreached and makes me think you're talking about cp3.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

I want the Alphabet for our PG! Morey, git'rdone! But, until then, Lin/Bev and Bev/Lin are fine.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I voted for bev due to lins ability to provide 2nd unit scoring and because bev is playing defense at an almost ultra elite level.

15. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I vote for Machado....oh wait...

16. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

Your argument is reasonable.

from my view, it all depends on what rox coach staffs need.

if rox strategy is to have a pg who dumps ball to harden, shoots open 3, and plays some d, Beverley and lin both can do that. Beverley may be a bit better for his ball hawking defense style. it is not much demand for either of them. lin played in this role with harden the last season. they won more than they lost. why not this season?

if coach staffs think bench needs help on offense end from pg position, lin is better to sit and play more min with bench.

if rox tries to save harden's energy for later, lin is better fit than Beverley.

1 person likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We agree more than anything.

The reality is lin is going to play ALOT. Lin is going to get probably starters minutes whether he starts or not. The 'starting' aspect is a tad overrated in general.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

TRUE becasue lin is basically the back up PG & SG going into this season. He will get minutes and help the rockets. Nothing agasint bev. but imagine bev out there with asik, garcia, casspi, they will basically just swing the ball around on offense and hope the 3s falls, the coaching staff is doing what is best for the team. If asik has a hard time catching passes from Lin then you dont want to rely on bev or garcia driving getting him the ball trust me

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

I won't give elite level to Beverley yet. because his style, closing to his man, he have been often burned by other pgs of attacking style. I saw many times during preseason. the good thing is we have solid low post defense so his mistakes are easily ignored.

20. kastuul

kastuul Member

2011/12
    Most Points per Isolation Play Last Season
    Minimum 75 Isolation Plays
    Chris Paul 1.08
    James Harden 1.04
    Jeremy Lin 1.02
    Kyrie Irving 1.01
    Chris Bosh 0.98

[​IMG]