1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be our starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Oct 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who should be the starting PG?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverley

225 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Jeremy Lin

416 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Lin could be the next Manu. I dont understand why people would be so upset with this.

2. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Some people have not watched the NBA long enough to know who Manu is. :grin:

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lin could be the next Harden (OKC version). :)

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

We are still arguing about this.

McHale has the call, no matter how the decision is formed, and based on what. But once the decision is made, we as fans can only live with the fact. One can always find some pros and cons for any kind of decision.

But if you really want to discuss it based on "facts" and "objectivity", maybe you should consider ONE single fact, that Houston Rockets advanced to playoffs after nobody gave them a chance to start with. Jeremy Lin started all 82 games. He went down afterwards because of in-game injury.

But if you want to spin it with data or analysis or imagination, how Rockets went to playoffs DESPITE Lin starting, and how PB could POTENTIALLY do whatever. Please go ahead. It's online forum, nobody is going to change anyone's mind.

5. roxxy

roxxy Member

cause every 6th man becomes manu ginobli...

Harden and Lin will always overlap even if Lin is 6th man. harden is going to play a lot of minutes.

over a sample of of how many games again?

end of thread/

6. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

Coach Brooks wholly supported Harden and had him finish the games. You think Lin is going to finish every Rockets game? I don't know if it'll even be the majority of the time. Even if he does, it won't be running the offense. So no, I don't think he'll be the next Harden unless he's traded to a team that doesn't have a SG that plays as a PG.

7. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin came off the bench and played 13 minutes in Playoffs is not the reason the Rockets lost to OKC.

McHale put Lin on the floor b/c Bev. and AB0 couldn't guard Reggie Jackson at that game.
    Lin did do a decent job.

At that game, Harden and Parsons have 4 and 5 TOs respectively.
    Garcia, Asik and Bev, all of them got into foul trouble.

8. rocketblood713

I still think Lin is getting the start for some reason ....gut feeling

9. kastuul

kastuul Member

Take a look at Reggie Jackson stat against HOU:

G3:14+2+1
    G4:18+4+3
    G5:20+4+3
    G6:17+7+8

if anyone expect Bev. to stop elite PG, they should be ready for the reality as the regular season coming.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

To be fair, Reggie Jackson could start on the bottom third of nba teams. I agree with you, Beverley isn't stopping elite point guards any more than lin could. I see bigger point guards abusing Beverley, just like quicker point guards abuse lin.

1 person likes this.
  11. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

What does this even mean? Lin could be instant offense on a second unit and wouldnt have to battle for the ball with Harden, Parsons and Howard all needing shots. Who is even saying he would play backup minutes? Not saying that it will happen but I love the idea of Lin as our sixth man. Not because I hate him but because I think it could make us have one of the best second units in basketball.

12. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Where is the 6th man talk coming from? There isn't any indication he is going to be a 6th man. Most likely, he's going to backup Beverley and harden, won't finish games, and probably won't play more than 24 minutes a game.

13. jocar

jocar Member

This is more about Harden+Howard vs. Lin+Howard than it is Lin vs. Bev. It's been pretty obvious that, with James, a great and willing passer, the 2nd unit "needs" Lin more than Howard does. The bottom line is...Harden is the better pnr handler, the better passer, and he commands more double teams. Yes, Jeremy passes out more on penetrations or pnr's, but that's out of necessity. Like Harden, he's looking to score first, but when he hits a dead end or leaves the ground with no where to go.. he dishes out. When Harden hits a dead end, he more frequently fights through or tries to draw a foul. That doesn't make Lin the better playmaker, it makes him the more likely passer.

Harden and Howard are the much deadlier duo and arguably the best 1-2 punch in the NBA. You maximize the Harden/Howard combo by subtracting Lin. And you maximize Lin (and the 2nd unit) by adding him to it. Lin takes away touches because he needs the ball to operate, Bev doesn't.

Also, with Bev on the floor, Howard has more space to work the paint. He took Orlando to the finals when he was surrounded by sharpshooters, Jameer/Rashard/Lee/Reddick/Johnson/Turk, who spread the floor and kept double teams at a minimum. With both Lin and Harden constantly penetrating, Howard would have twice the amount of traffic to deal with down low-- when he's already hinted he wanted to "dominate (iso/post up) the paint" more than pnr off the top. With H&H, and against elite PG opps, the spot up shooter/elite defender is the better fit, without even mentioning how badly the 2nd unit needs a playmaker. Each lineup needs to balance its gunslingers and defenders.

Here's a write up on the Lin/Bev debate...
    -caution! BS Report-

Jeremy Lin vs. Patrick Beverley: Who Should Be Rockets' Starting Point Guard?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ey-who-should-be-rockets-starting-point-guard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think the fact that we are even having this argument about an $8M vs. a $1M cap player, (while we are in dire need a top tier PF), is the writing on the wall for Lin..... UNLESS.... he can justify his cap hit by assuming a new, important, and non-redundant role as leader of 2nd unit. Without a bonafide playmaker, our bench will go stagnant, get destroyed, and the starters will wear and tear.

1 person likes this.
  14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well, if it was several decades back...

15. jocar

jocar Member

It sucks that you even have to say this each time all because of a minority of fanboys who can't grasp the concept of "team".

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Either player could start.

17. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

True. I guess it's just more of a case of trolling the opposing starting PG, disrupting their rhythm and having the ball in Harden's hand all the times.

18. nono

nono Member

I think Lin is a very valued player on the team, whether he starts or not. If he isn't starting then he can really help the second unit.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

At the end of the day, both players will get roughly the same minutes regardless of who's starting. So in the minutes they're given, put them in lineups where they can be most effective. That should be the only consideration for McHale, IMO.

Lin was good last year, but so was Beverley. People will bring up sample size, and that we've seen Lin play at a high level a lot more than we've seen Beverley. True, but people in the Rockets organization see these guys a lot more that we do. In practice. In summer workouts. In training camp. So while, from what I've seen, I'm comfortable with Lin keeping his starting role, I'm not perturbed if the Rockets coaches would prefer Beverley on the floor at the beginning of games. They're obviously in a much better position to judge.

#180 durvasa, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013