1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be our starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Oct 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who should be the starting PG?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverley

225 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Jeremy Lin

416 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

did I say JLin will never play with harden? we're just talking about who will be the starting PG

2. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Yes, you did not make any statements about Beverley at all. But you made a statement about Lin, with implied biases towards Beverley. Which was your own silly attempt to get to conquistador#11.

Well, all I am saying is that expecting Beverley to match Steph Curry for 28 points is not even going to happen, let alone be a realistic possibility, when he scored more than 15 points only 0% of the games last season. He'll probably put up 11/4 & 5 and Lin would put up 18 / 6/ 4 with just slightly lesser defense.

You really amuse me :grin:

No.

So?

If Steph Curry is scoring at will on Beverley, then only Jeremy Lin can give Steph Curry as good as he gets.

Jeremy Lin as the 3rd / 4th offensive option on court >>> Beverley as the 4th offensive option on court.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

So?

If Jeremy Lin is not hitting his shots, then Beverley's defense can give Steph Curry as good as he gets.

See how easy that was?

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so how many pts do you think this line up can put up

PBev, Harden, DHoward, Parsons, Asik

in relation to

Lin, Harden, DHoward, Parsons, Asik?

5. TheBornLoser

Not really. If Steph Curry is going to light up Beverley for 30 points and Jeremy Lin for 30 points, then between the both of them, who would you want going on the offense against Steph Curry?

Damn, actually, you're right.... the answer really was easy!!!

No clue. Depends on how all the players perform.

6. Baruch

Baruch Member

No, you didn't say Lin will never play with Harden. Neither did I infer you say that.

As for who is the starting PG, I think the most politically and technically correct answer is Harden :grin:-- Harden is THE starting PG for sure; the other two guys are just one of the PGs.

7. bws

bws Member

The coaches do not want Harden playing as a point guard and he wasn't for most of the pre-season. Harden is not a point guard.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are missing the point, or ignoring it.

You are arguing in favor of a circumstance which plays to Lin's strengths, and I'm pointing out the opposite circumstance which plays to Beverley's strengths.

If Lin is not hitting his spot up shots, then Beverley arguably has an advantage. If Beverley cannot stop Curry, then Lin arguably as an advantage (but that advantage is limited because his role is limited on offense).

So in terms of fit, it is more advantageous to have Beverley go up against Lin.

9. TheBornLoser

This was conquistador#11's post 2 pages back:

This was Patterned919's snide and superficial reply to conquistador#11's post:

From there on, you can trace what I wrote to Patterned919 and so forth.

I never missed or ignored the point. I was totally aware of what I was talking about. It is you who lost the link somewhere and made all the wrong assumptions about my posts.

10. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'd rather ask, who finishes the game? Answer has to be Bev

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is the context that began the conversation.

Also, you were talking about defense as well.

No, I did not make erroneous assumptions, but I do know that you are backtracking.

12. Baruch

Baruch Member

If the coaches don't want Harden to play as a point guard, then I'm not sure what I've seen here: http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LHnMmH7PORw#t=178

Harden is a combo guard who can play both PG and SG. He is recognized not only for his shooting, but his playmaking and passing skills as well.

13. conquistador#11

I just think people discredit lin way too easily defensively.
    I mean we all watched Lin rob Deron williams in back to back possessions and four in total, but certain people go up in flames when bev does it to bledsoe.

On the ball defense cannot be sustained for 32 consecutive minutes against back up guards let alone be effective to pgs who strive of screens, like the top pgs do.
    The eye test will come down to earth when bev goes up against these guys. And still, we could be up 15 points with those guys torching bev because Howard, Harden and Chandler, which would give even me a +18 point differential just by watching the game. :p

32 minutes from the bench by lin is very doable, If the eye exam works both ways.

Let's say

Curry has dropped 7 straight points on Bev in the first quarter,
    Lin comes in with six minutes to go and plays all the way to 6 minutes to go in the second. That's 12 minutes, you bring back lin with 3 minutes to go. That's 15 minutes in the first half.
    Crap, I'm confused myself. It takes talent to manage time like a Greg poppa. But I believe in Finch.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I don't disagree. I see Lin playing more minutes and finishing games than Beverley, and I also do think Lin is a better overall player.

I just think in context of the starting line-up, it would make sense to have Beverley matching up against Curry when we are on defense. Of course, this doesn't mean Lin wouldn't be getting the bulk of the minutes, seeing as how effective the Lin-Beverley line-up has been when Harden is resting.

Beverley is a very good defender, but Steph Curry is also a tremendous offensive player, so I don't think Beverley is likely to completely shut down Curry, meaning I see Lin ending games a lot more often. However, if in cases where Lin is struggling a lot to keep up with his man, and Beverley on the other hand is doing a good job defend the same player, then I could see Beverley finishing some games.

15. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

speaking of curry, when you look at the head 2 head matchups last year, Lin more than held his own. That said, play them both, Harden/Howard/Lin/Bev/Parsons to end games.

16. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

Harden is a SG but can play PG. I see Lin as an asian Harden but Lin is a PG and can play SG. Lin is still better than Beverly by a lot but since Harden and Lin skills are so much alike. Their skill is driving(harden better), shooting (harden better) and passing(Lin court vision). Harden and Lin's defence aren't the best and Beverly's defence compliments both their playing style. They are going to start Beverly and finish with Beverly. Rockets would be able to utilize Lin's skill more off the bench and Rockets would be more efficient as a team.

Think about this how we have a luxury as a full game lock down defence in the centre. We also have a full game attacking offence.

p.s. and for people who says Mchale is changing the line up for Asik and not for Lin. He is changing his line up to be the most efficient and most skilled team. Mchale is also changing his line up to utilize Lin's skills. You can see this by benching him and by pairing him a lot with Bev and Casspi.

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Bev should start because he is the better ball handler, better decision maker, and better defender.

The only thing Lin has over Bev is better vision and driving, but his turnovers and indecisiveness make him shaky and inconsistent.

Give me Bev who is solid as a rock and never gets shaken up.

18. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

lol this seems like its already been decided according to this open practice.

19. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

I feel like Dwight should be PF more and more because it's more of a lock down defence with Asik in Centre (in the post). If dwight gets left behind Asik is thereto stall and Howard can run back to his man faster for the block. Whereas, if asik is PF and outside he can't go back to his man.

20. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

sorry i thought i was in the practice game thread