1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be our starting PG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PeacePeace, Oct 26, 2013.

Tags:
?

Who should be the starting PG?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2013.
  1. Patrick Beverley

225 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Jeremy Lin

416 vote(s)
    64.9%
  1. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

I love Lin but I think we can clearly tell McHale is going to start Bev over Lin all day long.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I'm willing to believe that; however I'm guessing that's just your own completely objective speculation. I doubt very much that McHale would alternate starting lineups for two whole months simply to "lessen the shock" for Lin fans. If truly "lessening the shock" is McHale's bottom line than we have one of the silliest and most people-pleasingest coaches in the history of the game. Personally I don't think McHale cares a flyin' flea what Lin fans think. It's obvious that Lin and Bev are both real good, and that they have two very different styles they bring to the table. Why not use that to your advantage by starting Bev inside a slow-down offense with Harden as focal point, and use Lin as the starter inside an up-tempo, run-and-gun style offense? It's a rare thing to have this kind of luxury; McHale's a smart guy, and so realizes that.

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

How can we "clearly tell", as you put it? Has McHale gone on record to state that Bev is the official, one-and-only starter? McHale said he has "two starting point guards" and will have two starting points all the way into 2014.

4. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

It's a political and diplomatic way of saying "beverley's my starting point guard but I'll pretend I want both lin and beverley to start." Mchale knows lin has a huge fanbase, and realizes it's impolitic not to start a guy with a $25 million deal in any case. This lessens the shock of the transition.

It's been very, very clear that mchale does not want 2 playmakers starting in the backcourt. He wants harden as the full time playmaker and a spot up shooter at the other guard spot.

5. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I wish I was a political science major so that I could understand "diplomacy" better, but I'm not, and so I will just have to take McHale at his word.

You can't deny the fact that Lin does match up better against certain teams, and that Lin does work well inside an offense that includes Casspi and/or DMo, that Lin has been paired up with these guys all throughout preseason, and that McHale has said that Casspi and/or DMo will start some games at PF. It's called "using the best available resources". There is no rule that says we can't have two starting PGs.

6. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

You are right about this. It's all about McHale's decision. Jlin will be gone by the end of this season.

7. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

dont think you can. I dont for now. He just said "2 pg will start alternatively" in an interview, then several days later in the Grizzlies game should be Lin's turn but they let PB started. In western culture it is very rare for a man lie publicly in the media, so I really think something is up. Wait till all star maybe we can tell what happened.
    I can sense coaches' strategy is copying kobe-shaq and I think they are making a mistake. It's a short cut for not so academic coaches like Mchale for it saved the trouble to gel 3 strong offensive options, and it may succeed in short term, it may even satisfy Harden's ego and lay the way to his next fat contract, but it will hurt the team in the long run, see what happened to Yao-Tmac, plus recent years the team won the final usually have big 3.

8. Lihao

Lihao Member

lol People lies all the time, especially to the media :cool:

9. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I agree Mchale favor Beverley more and have great desire to start him.

10. Rox23

Rox23 Member

It's not who McHale "likes" but who matches up better against the opposing team. Lin works well with Casspi and DMo. If those guys start McHale might very well have Lin start at the point to run an up-tempo type offense.

I will bet you that Asik and Bev start against Charlotte; and that Casspi and Lin start against Dallas. What do you want to bet?

11. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I doubt about it. Once Beverley started, no more alternate will happen.

12. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Beverley's the starter. Mchale (with the urging of his assistants) made that decision at the end of last season.

13. eman

eman Contributing Member

Rajon Rondo

14. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

Goran Dragic.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Link??

16. Tonnny

Tonnny Member

The fact is when Kobe / MJ / D.Wade / Harden like player is in the team, a defensive PG is more preferred.

17. rainman24

rainman24 Member

Jeremy Lin was made redundant by the acquisition of Harden, Bev should start and Lin traded. . .

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not caring....all I want is LIN LIN LIN and Win

19. eman

eman Contributing Member

Garret Temple

20. eman

eman Contributing Member

And Ish the Dish Smith!