1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The final D-Mo preseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

D-Mo seems to be one of the most contentious issues on the GARM right now. Considering that the D-Mo comments are all over the map I have decided to start a final preseason D-Mo thread.

What I will be looking at is height and weight, work ethic, quickness, defense, 3 point shooting, defense, post play, and speed.

Low post game: Last season, as a rookie (small sample size alert) D-Mo ranked 5th in the NBA in scoring from the post (9). D-Mo averaged an incredible 1.05 PPP in the post last season. This is compared to the 0.74 PPP Howard averaged on post ups last season. As a rookie D-Mo played ~50% of his minutes against the other teams starters so the low post PPP will not be off by much if and when he becomes a starter in the NBA(10). He is amazing (5)(6)(7)(8). Within 5 feet his FG% is only 1.4% less than Howard's and 12+% better than Asik's.

Defense: I just took a long look at tape from last season. D-Mo was a pretty decent defender for the most part. For example he allowed only 0.74 PPP playing post defense. His one glaring weakness was how he handled spot up shooters. D-Mo is continually sucked to far into the middle trying to protect the paint. He then is not quick enough to recover back to his man after the ball is swung around. I do not know if this is because of the smaller size of the European court or what, but D-Mo continually comes up about 2 feet short of getting a hand in the shooters face. This fault is correctable through coaching and court time.

Height and weight: In the 2011-2012 season the average height and weight of a NBA power forward was 6'8.9" and 236 pounds(1). The average center was 6'10" and 251 pounds. D-Mo is inarguably a seven footer. In July he reported his weight as 262 pounds. Given the year over year pictures (I would post them but it would take up a lot of space in what is going to be a very long post) D-Mo is huge. He looks to be of Asik size this preseason. Is it fat? D-Mo went from the NBA directly to his National team and then back to the Rockets preseason camp. The NBA trains hard. National teams train brutally hard. Some sort of national pride I guess. Fat is realistically not an option with that training schedule. D-Mo is large for a NBA center and huge for a NBA power forward.

Work ethic: See height and weight above. D-Mo added 40 pounds of muscle in a year. Forty fricking pounds. Work ethic is not a problem. D-Mo reportedly puts in 4 hours of gym and court time a day. Every day except Sundays(2). He could do more if he went the steroid route, after all it takes a human body time to recuperate from a workout, but would any of you want that????

Three point shooting: D-Mo was a rookie last season. So let us take a look at some other big men rookies as three point shooters. Let us limit it to good three point shooting big men (3)(4). Dirk 20.6%. Love 10.9%. Anderson 36.5%. Villanueva 32.7%. Frye 33%. D-Mo 29%. D-Mo is taller and more massive than any of those players. So get real people.

Speed: D-Mo is obviously as fast as any big man in the NBA. On fast breaks he is right with the guards and SF. You just have to look at tape. A lot of that is effort. It takes a lot of energy to run that seven foot frame up and down the court. Oh, and he is fast.

General:
    • D-Mo is as ambidextrous as any player in the NBA. There is no possibility of forcing him to go to his weak side.
    • D-Mo is cheap. At $1.4M he is pocket change for Les (11).
    I mean how can you not like this guy?
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1o2GegFTTxA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(1) http://basslinespin.blogspot.com/2012/04/2012-average-height-and-weight-of-nba.html
    (2) http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...goes-home-with-goal-of-packing-on-4602050.php
    (3) http://www.basketball-reference.com/
    (4) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-point-shooting-big-men-in-nba-history/page/4
    (5) http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart.html?PlayerID=202700&display-mode=performance&viewShots=true
    (6) http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Donatas-Motiejunas-1300/
    (7) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...as-is-the-houston-rockets-third-biggest-asset
    (8) http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/rockets-keep-rolling-0
    (9) http://mysynergysports.com/
    (10) http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2013/lineups/
    (11) http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html
    It is late here tonight and I have been up since 6 am. I will continue this tomorrow.

#1 jtr, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

W e l l

Okay, then.

We got nothing to talk about.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I agree, he has all the tools to be something special - will he get there? Dunno, but he has great size, speed, quickness and he is left handed - add a great work ethic and you have a CHANCE to be something special.

DD

4. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

He's not a stretch 4 and he's not a center. He struggles with physical play and is on the verge of fouling out every game if his minutes enter the double digit range. He can't hit the 3, either.

As a 2nd stringer, playing against other reserves on bad teams, he'll be just fine. He's not a starter, and he's not even a reliable reserve against the better teams. Neither is TJ.

5. j_shooter11

j_shooter11 Member

Looks at this point he will be the 9th man in a 9man rotation , with most of min at center with both asik and howard off the floor for varies reasons. I feel he will be just fine in those limited min in the rotation he is really good running floor and posting up quick for quick post looks in transitions.

6. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

All he needs is confidence. When he's on the court he looks very nervous and unsure.

7. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Wouldn't people with differing opinions have more to talk about? JTR's erudition escapes me sometimes.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely true. That and getting in tune with that massive body. I could see him settling in at ~270 pounds. And he is not one to doubt himself for long.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK. It is gone. I admit that what I view as self evident may not be the opinion of other completely reasonable individuals.

10. valorita

valorita Member

DMo should workout with Dwight everyday. Strength and balance are the only issues preventing him from becoming a good pro.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

40 pounds of muscle....... Stopped reading after I reàd that.

D-mo can't hang in the NBA. He is way to soft, and plays like he is 6'5.

12. bmd

bmd Member

You can absolutely carry a lot of fat even if you play basketball all day.

And 40 pounds of muscle in a year? LLLOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!!

You clearly have not a single clue about weight training/nutrition/etc.

I haven't even read the rest of your post yet.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Donuts is soft like Nowitski and like the latter, he'll never amount to anything.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He can't play defense well. Which includes at times rebounding. If he can't fix that he won't get minutes anyway.

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

:grin::grin::grin:Thats about where the similarities end though.

Dmo can be like Nowitski in bball skillz one day....... in his dreams.

16. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Top 15 low post players in NBA?

I like DMo and believe he has a lot of upside...but where he is right now isn't top 15 in the NBA. No way.

I wouldn't put him top 15 in the Western Conference.

In no particular order, many WC names compete for that top 15 list....and DMo isn't top 15.

Pau Gasol
    Chris Kamen
    Deandre Jordan
    Balke Griffin
    Derrick Favors
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Robin Lopez
    Javale McGee
    Emeca Okafor
    Sam Dalembert
    Tim Duncan
    Tiago Splitter
    Zach Randolph
    Marc Gasol
    Anthony Davis
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Dwight Howard
    Omer Asik

17. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

I remember when we all thought he was going to be the next Dirk.

18. bmd

bmd Member

And 4 hours a day in gym and court time isn't a ton. Even back in high school we used to have a 1 hour practice during school hours, 2 more hours after school (which may have included time in the weight room depending on the day or doing other plyometrics), and then a few days a week we'd have open gym.

So on any given day, I'd practice for 1 hour during 5th period, then have 2 more hours of practice/weight training after school, then go home and eat something and get some homework done, then head back up to school in the evening and scrimmage for an hour or two.

I'd easily play for 5 hours a day even back in high school.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Motiejunas can score like he did in pre-season, consistently, then start him.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree, but you just messed up his chance by jinxing him. ;)

The biggest question about him is balance. Although he gained some weight, he just doesn't know how to use it yet. I think he will develop but he needs to learn how to hold his position and slow down a bit.