1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Grizzlies 10/25/2013 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MONON

MONON Member

I really liked DMo at the 5 tonight. He looked smooth.

2. Downtown Sniper

I know I just said D-Mo needs to play more inside on offense - but I'd prefer that doesn't come about because of an Asik trade.

Asik and Howard have shown that they can work together.

Even if it's only for 10 minutes a game that still means Asik can play 20-25 solid minutes each night. And that equates to staggered playing time between the two which provides us with 48 solid minutes of elite rim protection and rebounding. I still believe this is the way you defeat Miami.

If Indiana or San Antonio had a capable big coming in to replace Hibbert and Duncan - one of them would be the defending Champions.

There's not many teams in the West who provide a stretch 4 that will give the twin towers trouble - and that small number of teams is reduced even further when you factor in those who will be competing against us in the Playoffs.

I'd like to see them give Asik another full season here before trying to move him.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yep... should have drafted MJ or Bird in the 2nd

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Canaan has not earned a spot either. He can't shoot or play D. I just don't see his upside right now. If anyone needs the DLeague, its him.

5. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Would have had the same effect. Basically nothing.

6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Take into consider pace and you'll see why Conley is the way better PG. I also wouldn't judge based on the preseason. Conley was also one of the main reasons Memphis even made it to WCF last season. Grizzlies looked awful tonight because Conley couldn't get anything going offensive.

The person you want to critique is John Wall. His preseason stats have been ridiculously awful for someone who just signed a max contract.

7. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

McHale was wasting his talents, making D-Mo a perimeter 3-point shooter. That is just not his game. He is a natural post player, even if he can't finish, he can draw fouls and make good passes.

8. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

There's gotta be something better than nothing because that's what we got.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Great dominate game by the Rockets. Lol made them jokers quit

10. vator

vator Member

No. D-Mo will never be a good defensive player. Asik is still here because of defense. D-Mo can already run circles around Asik on the offensive end, but that isn't what we need the most. He will look best playing next to another defensive big like Howard or Asik. If he proves himself competent enough to break into the rotation, he can play PF and thus even more reason not to trade Asik.

1 person likes this.
  11. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

What makes you say he can't finish?

12. LAC

LAC Member

Mind giving a recap of what they said?

13. jtr

jtr Member

I completely agree. D-Mo will require this season to develop. It is not a bad thing.

14. saintja2

saintja2 Member

I think D-Mo fits best with Asik.

He needs a defender and a rebounder with him AT ALL TIMES.

He just cannot anchor a defense at the five spot.

DaDakota has it backwards. It's not Omer Asik who is the "luxury" or who is "redundant". D-Mo´s post scoring is the luxury if he cannot bring anything else to the table.

15. saintja2

saintja2 Member

This.

16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

trade it for future 2nd when the draft is deeper :D

17. dje243

dje243 Member

With a starting line up of Asik, Dwight, Parsons, Harden, and Beverly... would we have a top 3 defense?

18. jtr

jtr Member

OK. And why cannot D-Mo not become a great defensive player at the five? He is big enough, talented enough and smart enough. Who is bigger than D-Mo? Gasol, Hibbert and ...? Are either of those players quicker or have a higher vertical than D-Mo? Smarter? D-Mo seems like he is as sharp as a tack. Will he ever be a Howard defensively? Hell no. Could he hold down the spot of Howard's backup? Almost assuredly.

#838 jtr, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. dje243

dje243 Member

Asik = elite defender at his position
    Dwight = elite defender at the 5, looks to be even more devastating roaming the floor
    Parsons = has shown the ability to be a lockdown defender in the past. Defense should be better than last season due to carrying less load on offense.
    Harden = probably will end up being an average defender this year.
    Beverly = Elite defender at his position

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Member

If he can't bring anything else to the table? He scores in the post, he moves the ball well, he passes well, he rebounds, and his D is getting better.

He looks like a young player that is continuing to get better, with a lot of upside.
    I just don't understand all of the people that are down on DMo, I think he is a great young player to have.