1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 10/21/2013 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 20, 2013.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

You didn't understand what I mean or maybe I wasn't explaining correctly.

I am not saying that we shouldn't shoot 3s or line up and space the floor. What I'm saying is that after the pump fakes at the 3 point line or after losing their man at the 3 point line or after a pick, the players should pull up from mid from time to time rather than going into a lane full of defenders causing us to miss Layups. There were countless plays were we forced the ball inside after a drive rather than take the jumper or floater.

Adding the mid range shots to their plays causes the players to be more open for 3s and even Layups.

2. SK34

SK34 Member

You didn't understand what I mean or maybe I wasn't explaining correctly.

I am not saying that we shouldn't shoot 3s or line up and space the floor. What I'm saying is that after the pump fakes at the 3 point line or after losing their man at the 3 point line or after a pick, the players should pull up from mid from time to time rather than going into a lane full of defenders causing us to miss Layups. There were countless plays were we forced the ball inside after a drive rather than take the jumper or floater.

Adding the mid range shots to their plays causes the players to be more open for 3s and even Layups.

3. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

1) Maybe because he is: christian, an underdog, non-black, Harvard grad, carried New York back into the playoffs, etc.

2) Being illiterate in english has nothing to do with race. English is pretty universal. Also this is a forum.

3) Assuming you are talking about Taiwan. What did you expect the reception in Taiwan to be? Lin's ethnic background is Taiwanese.

Now I want to ask you, are you a non-first generation white?

4. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Stop responding to trolls. Who gives a **** what he is. And most likely he himself is a lin only fan. Nothing you do or say will change their minds. So quit feeding the trolls.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They aren't necessarily trying to get to the paint to score directly. Its about making the defense collapse when the attacking guard makes a move to the basket. This causes the defense to rotate which ultimately gets guys looks. The attacking guard is only forcing shots at the rim if the defense doesn't adjust and the shot is open.

When you break the defense down as an attacking guard you are either going to get an open shot at the rim (high percentage shot), dump it off to the rolling big man for an even better shot at the rim (even higher percentage shot... see league leaders in shooter % in past years), or you are going to be able to pass the ball to a shooter who in theory should be open and set.

On occassion a guard might force things at the rim, but they are more than likely trying to get calls instead of trying to make the right play which in that case would have been to find a shot for someone else when its not there at the rim.

So the answer to your query isn't that they should be taking jump shots instead of taking it to the rim. Its that they should be making better basketball decisions when breaking down the defense. If taking a long 2 is the best shot they can get than fine, but in the Rockets offense, 9 times out of 10 its not. When you consciously take long 2's off a high pick, you are firing against a set defense with no involvement from other players on your team, no ball movement, and there is almost zero chance of getting a second chance point off an offensive rebound.

This is the definition of Kobe Heroball, and there is a reason why only Kobe plays this way effectively and players like Monta Ellis are on their 3rd team in 3 years fighting for relevancy with the reputation of being a selfish and inefficient player. About the worst thing I can think of for Jeremy Lin's career would be for him to fall in love with looking with the long 2 off the pick and roll or going ISO.

Let me be clear though- I dont think Jeremy Lin or James Harden for that matter should not have that shot in their arsenal. I just dont think its a shot they should consciously look for consistently. Their focus should be to -

A. Break down the defense
    B. Get a clean look at the rim
    C. Setup big for an open dunk
    D. Setup wide open shooter
    E. Get to the foul line for free-bees

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude! The second unit needs defense too. . . . You know about the drop off with the second unit last season, right?

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

What is your point? I just said I didn't think Lin had a bad game. I was responding to the person who said Lin had a very good game and Beverley had a bad one.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Why are you guys even engaging x86zibit? It's obvious his only intention is to wind you up... just ignore.

9. CCM721

CCM721 Member

I don't have the statistics but I've heard them a thousand times. We were a top 5-10 defense with Asik on the floor and one of the worst when he wasn't. Which is the whole idea behind keeping him, elite rim protection 48 minutes a game.

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

I would say if the guards can get past their man, leaving only the two centers near the rim, then it's fine to put up a shot even if the opposing center contests, preventing a completely clean look. That's because with the opposing center pulled away, our center will get an easy put-back if the guard's shot doesn't fall.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah I saw this on one of pbev's drives

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So you dont think if they can hit the mid range jumper (15-18') wt a consistent rate would be a plus.

If the defense dares them to shoot that shot, in your opinion they shouldnt take it because its not in their arsenal ( assumption driven on your part, because they do practice mid range shots) .

If they were to hit those shots, it would open up the A-E you just mentioned.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

A-E happens with Mid Range also.

IF they can hit Mid Range jumpers from time to time, it helps clear up space in the paint even more. It causes the big men to step out, where Lin and Harden can drive by them EASILY or Dish to Howard or the two corners (Defense will have to move around a little more).

I'm not saying that they should not drive to the basket. All i'm saying is they should take the 15-18 ft shot because its given to them. Once they start hitting that, lane becomes much more clear and defense have to move more.

14. Nawad70

Nawad70 Member

Kills me when he try's to squeeze between two players, on the pnr and nearly falls down instead of going around the pic.

15. bmd

bmd Member

You are not supposed to go around the pick against a good shooter. Unless the guy defending the guy setting the pick helps on the ball for a second.

I'd have to go back and see how exactly they were trying to defend the pick and roll.

16. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

He was struggling a little in the first quarter against the P n R, but Howard wasnt showing great either. As the game went on Lin's D got a lot better.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

WHO CARES? Who was on Michael Jordan's 2nd unit defense, or Hakeems?

Come on...the 2nd unit, that is what we are worried about?

We got enough without Asik and we can get something for him.

DD

18. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

All our players look really really fast and our bench looks solid. I've been a basketball fanatic for over 30 years and I see big things for this team. We're gonna blow up this league. No joke.

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I have always liked exciting passers and Lin is a very exciting passer.

Nice comment about James Holmes, ~lol~.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

and what are you worried about? saving Les's money? assets for the future?