1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA near deals to allow local streaming leaguewide

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by danielcp0303, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

And for people who are with Comcast and don't want to be...

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Nope, you guys are misreading it.

You have to be a Comcast subscriber to get to view the stream OR be a user of a service that has a deal with CSNH.

This changes nothing for Rockets fans unfortunately.

3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

What if I use the log in from someone with league pass in let's say the washington dc area. Would I be able to watch from my computer?

4. jtr

jtr Member

Yeah. Sorta big. It is a first for serious sports leagues. There will be collateral damage, but in the end the NBA should become even more popular. It looks like that is the end goal.

5. Aleron

Aleron Member

the streams will be ip locked

6. jtr

jtr Member

An IP lock is just $10 a month away from being broken.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

It's not IP locked, it's username/password locked using your username/password that you use to access the online account for the provider.

In Houston that is just going to be Comcast (at least for now.)

Therefore, you'll need the username/password of someone IN HOUSTON or somewhere else that gets the Rockets as the local team. That's the only way you can access.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Member

I am hoping for this as well.

9. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Sure people have Fox Sports...but the Rockets are on CSN. CSN Houston will still control the game being watched online. Now, they could just let people watch it for free, but I doubt that happens

10. Aleron

Aleron Member

Couldn't watch nbc's olympics broadcast if you weren't one of the partner's regardless of login, can't imagine this being any different

11. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

Exactly

12. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

They will also need league pass, not just comcast.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

That's not how it reads. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with League Pass.

Also, it's not likely to be rolled out completely this season.

14. The Cat

The Cat Member

No, there's nothing in the story about needing League Pass.

The Olympics analogy is also not accurate. The reason the ISP issue mattered for the Olympics is because no one could watch it live on television, given the London situation. The core fans had to turn to the computer, so the websites had more leverage. It makes zero sense for CSN to offer streaming and mandate the person have a Comcast ISP to get it... because in 99% of those cases, if the person is on a Comcast ISP, they're probably home and could just watch on television. They don't need to use the website.

The point of offering streaming is as a mobile perk to entice subscribers... say, for use on an airplane, in a coffee shop, at work, etc. That is, places that probably do NOT have a Comcast ISP. Now, I'm sure they'll limit it to where each account can only be used by one person at a time... but I highly doubt the ISP is an issue. If you have a family member or someone you're close to with Comcast, this sounds like it could work (if it happens).

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Yes, it will work, I guarantee it and no, it will not rely on your ISP being Comcast. I guarantee that as well. It will simply be tied to you having a login to a provider that carries that specific local team.

It would do nobody any good to get someone outside of the Rockets broadcast area though because their login would only authorize them to watch THEIR local team, not all teams.

This is FREE streaming of the local team for all local fans via mobile devices if you have access to the game through your cable/sat provider. It's HBO Go, Showtime on Demand type stuff.

16. The Cat

The Cat Member

Yup. From a sports perspective, closest thing I can think of is BTN2Go (the mobile version of Big Ten Network). I don't have it, but I used my mother-in-law's Dish account log-in to watch Mizzou-Indiana a few weekends ago. Worked flawlessly.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Cool.

The only question I have is whether CSNH/Rockets will sell access to the service a la carte for those in Houston who don't have access to it.

I know HBO has been giving consideration to allowing subscribers to purchase HBOGO directly but have stayed away from it thanks to nice negotiations with the providers.

18. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Member

So will I just go to nba.com? Or download an app to my ipad?

19. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Does this affect ballstreams at all?

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prob their bottom line. Otherwise no.