1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team Owes Case Keenum One

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by yuisakata, Oct 21, 2013.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Kid looked good. I really believe if Schaub played we would have lost 30-7. Keenum was able to extend plays. Stunk that the line couldn't stop crap at the end, and we had no rb to do a quick pass to.

I think Keenum would light it up with a decent slot receiver. He can get rid of the ball QUICK.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Forget all that, how about the crappy clock management at the end of the half that would have given us enough time to get a FG and be up at the end of the game.

How about the crappy 3rd down defense, allowing the Chiefs to continually convert on 3rd and long?

3. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

It could've only gotten better because that'd totally throw the Chiefs off on their home field if they trail by, say, double digits.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I think you could add Schaub to that list! (even if he hasn't played the chiefs this year)...:eek:

5. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

You're just like Kubes: Have absolutely no faith in obvious talent possessed by Keenum, AND the team.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I know it's just 1 game but Case played OUTSTANDING given the circumstances. If our O-line didn't suck ass the second half of the game we would have won.

Let Keenum be our starter.

7. Raven

Raven Member

You spend all Summer defending Schaubiak and are proven to be comically wrong in doing so, and now you've flipped the tables and have become the forum's negative Nancy on Keenum. :rolleyes:

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That was negative, was it? Eye roll, indeed...

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I must say . . . Kubiak the 'Talent Evaluator' is suspect.

What did it take for Arian to get a shot???

Rocket River

10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

perhaps this:

IMO, once teams get film on him - and it'll happen in two weeks when the Colts get a bye to dissect his game - he'll come crashing down to earth and we can start the process of moving on from these QBs and, very possibly, this regime. The absolute *last* thing this team needs is any delusion about its QBs.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Everybody in the league had a chance to sign Foster and Keenum.

Only Kubiak did. FWIW.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

uuhhmmm . . . Rick Smith did

Once again . . . . just cause you buy the groceries. . . don't mean the Chef can properly prepare it.

Rocket River

If Rick gets the blame for the ED REEDs of the team . . . he gotta get the Credit for the Arians and Cases of the team

13. Hey Now!

Yes; this is, generally speaking, how it goes. The NFL landscape is littered with far more exposed QBs than franchise QBs. I thought he played well yesterday, and I'm cautiously optimistic - but gun to my head, I think he'll be exposed.

14. DonnyMost

Can you please name some of these "exposed" QBs?

Most of the time when this happens, it is because the QB is facing a crappy defense (Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, etc) or is being propped up by his teammates (Vince Young, Josh Freeman, etc). Those QBs regress to the mean because their schedules get harder or their team eventually stops covering up their mistakes.

With Keenum, neither of those seem to apply right now.

The only "exposed" QBs I can think of are the read-option guys like Vick, Kaepernick, and RG3. Film caught up with them, for sure. But none of them outright suck or have failed careers.

15. SK34

SK34 Member

it wasn't a poorly thrown ball, it was placed where only the receiver has a chance to get it.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You forgot we allowed our weekly 90yd drive and that pretty much sealed our fate.

17. Hey Now!

Seriously? I wouldn't even know where to begin... every team has a laundry list of QBs that didn't make it in the league. Finding a franchise QB is very hard; finding a very good QB - like a Matt Schaub, who you and I defended for a long time precisely because we recognized guys like him didn't grow on trees - is only ever-so-slightly easier.

He had a very nice first game; to think the NFL isn't going to quickly cobble together a book on him is just silly.

I bet a lot of the fans of the QBs you listed said roughly the same thing after their *first* (and only) NFL start. What's your point? He's the one QB in the entire history of the NFL that DCs will be unable to figure out?.....

If DCs were able to expose, respectively, a first overall pick, 36th overall pick, and second overall pick - doesn't it stand to reason they'll probably crack what makes the undrafted Keenum tick?

(I hope not; looking for a franchise QB can be excruciating - but odds are, they'll do it. Not including Keenum, there are two starting QBs in the NFL right now drafted after the 3rd round. The odds are stacked against him. Can we at least safely acknowledge that? I'm not saying he can't buck the trend and be an anomaly... but there's absolutely a trend.)

18. DonnyMost

That was not the point at hand. Tons of QBs fail. Please, enlighten us as to who these QBs are that got "figured out". I'm not familiar with many that have had fast/promising starts at the pro level and then petered out (or in your words, "came crashing back down to Earth") who don't fall into one of the two categories I already mentioned.

19. Hey Now!

Huh? It wasn't a *badly* thrown ball - it was just thrown to the wrong side. He threw it where the defender could make a play on it. Had he thrown it to Hopkins' outside shoulder, he could have (in theory) shielded the defender and made the catch.

20. DonnyMost

Because Keenum isn't running a system that a particular defensive scheme can stop. He seems actually legitimately talented. And like I said, RG3/Kaep/Vick are on track to all have fine careers despite being "figured out". I suspect that is because all of those guys have legit QB talent, too.