1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He will be on every week, I believe they said every Thursday but not 100% sure on that.

Today, 10-17-2013:

First of all, the interview was hot garbage. I couldn't listen to the whole thing. They talked about fantasy football and Lance even admitted at one point that talking basketball was "boring." Adam Clanton is all over the place and he's like that friend of your's that laughs at EVERYTHING and the people at the restaurant all turn to look because he's so loud.

Hopefully they get better together.

Here's the recap highlights:

1) Morey said Canaan will be in the DLeague and they hope by the end of NEXT season he is winning games for the Rockets.

2) When asked about draft strategy, Morey said at the end of the 1st round they are looking for players with ONE elite skill that can translate and then they hope they can develop the rest of their games.

3) Said Canaan has the tools to be a good defender but is not one right now.

4) Asked about Casspi: Morey said they definitely believe he can shoot better than he has the past two season. Said they targeted him going into the offseason and that they believe his best position is the 4, a position he hasn't gotten to play much with other teams. (Maybe less than 100 minutes) Think he can definitely contribute to the team as a 4.

5) Asked about Dwight's shortcomings/lack of comfort in offense: Morey said that Dwight has to get comfortable with a new game style without set play calls. Said that their passers are just a tick late getting him the ball, reminds him of the Yao years. Said despite that though, you see that Dwight occupies multiple defenders at all times and how much easier it makes it for everyone else. Morey said he was talking to JVG last night about it and said that it just blows him away to see it on his team with his own eyes. JVG agreed. (My note: The idea that Morey can't get along with people is crazy. He and JVG are still friends)

6) Discussed trade process. Morey said that it usually begins casually with the other team's GM. Said it's a long process. The Rockets are pretty easy, but a lot of team's have multiple people they talk to about a deal including a team president and 20 owners/investors before they can pull the trigger on anything. Talked about the media's role in trades/free agency. Said some teams try to play you in the media, if they think you can be influenced that way they will try to do it. The Rockets aren't influenced by the media and don't use the media to talk about deals.

7) Discussed Josh Howard rumor. Morey didn't directly address him, but said that most of the things you hear about free agency in the media is false. Agents or teams trying to influence the market.

8) On what the Rockets still looking for: Morey said they are always looking to spend free agency dollars on players that can help them win. If they can find players who are worth 10 million that they can sign for 3-5 they will be all over it.

Also, earlier in the interview Morey admitted to doing karaoke in the Philippines to Eminem. This was the hosts favorite part probably. Lance couldn't believe that Parsons hadn't uploaded it to Instagram or something already. Daryl agreed that if the Rockets win the title this year he will sing Eminem songs on 790. (Said he'd do just about anything)

6 people like this.
  2. maczmina

maczmina Member

hanks a lot, i canĀ“t listen because service is not avaliable in Portugal :mad:

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hinkie said the same thing. If it wasn't for the mass exodus of Rockets executives, I don't know if he would have said it.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lance and Adam can be sooo annoying at times. I got in my truck this morning just in time to hear Adam talking about James Harden's teeth... Wtf? My hand was moving to change the station until I heard Morey start talking.

5. justtxyank

Oh yeah, thanks for remind me HR Dept. The most important thing Adam had to talk about was whether James Harden should get his teeth fixed. Ridiculous. You could tell Morey was rolling his eyes.

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

They had the video of Morey doing karaoke to Eminem on CSN either at pregame/halftime show or on their weekly Rockets insider show, I forget which.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Lance knows nothing about sports except football and Clanton offers nothing absolutely nothing to the show. It is pretty much Lance talking football 90% of the time and Clanton chipping in with stupid one liners.

Half the time they are off on a tangent talking about random stuff like James Harden's teeth today or talking about Matt Thomas' show.

8. GIGO

GIGO Member

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/nCES3hAJcWT_?params=zone%3Dcsnvideo&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

9. GIGO

GIGO Member

wrong thread, my bad.

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Some minor corrections to the synopsis above:

--Morey said they were hoping that Canaan could be contributing to the Rockets by the end of THIS season or INTO next season. I don't think Morey meant to say that if Canaan didn't contribute by the end of this season, he'd have to wait another 50-60 regular season games into the 2014-15 season before getting another shot.

--While you may be right that it was JVG, given the context, it's also entirely possible that he was talking about STAN Van Gundy. Morey was unclear about that. Still, given that JVG lives here, you're probably right.

--The rumor was about Josh SMITH.

Otherwise, great synopsis, justtxyank!

1 person likes this.
  11. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

12. torocan

torocan Member

The quality of 790's basketball interviews took a serious dip in quality when they changed hosts. Even with Morey on I find it hard to listen to them... :(

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What's next, multiple threads in the GARM about Harden looking fat?

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

It doesn't surprise me a bit that JVG is Morey's confidant. Morey always holds him in high regard. Whenever JVG is in his broadcast booth during a national televised game involving Rockets, JVG always has positive things to say about Rockets.

Another Morey's confidant is Danny Ainge.

15. justtxyank

Thanks Bima. Makes more sense that it was Smith.

Maybe I misheard but I could have sworn he was clear it was JVG.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is it really that bad? I don't listen to much sports radio these days. They used to be pretty good when they were 610, so I'm surprised they're not making this work. The Rockets are going to be a big deal this year, so they better be at the top of their game.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I'm pretty sure Lance said he doesn't have comcast so can't watch the games at home, and Adam Clanton hasn't added much to the show on most topics. With the Texans sucking, it is really hard to listen to the same topics over and over again, but apparently that is what the majority of listeners want to discuss.

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Once Matt & Adam got fired, I realized good Rockets talk in Houston was dead. Those two & Nuno & Raheel were all we had. Clanton is a big time Rockets fan, but he can't get a word in with LZ, who progresses the discussion towards football 100% of the time.

This is why Dave & co. need to push out podcasts more often.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What rumor? The one that was about "Josh HOWARD" I assume? The Rockets definitely did make plans to pursue him, not sure to what extent though.

20. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Where is the information that Matt and Adam got fired? Why? Those two are the best combination for the Rockets talk. The guy named Thomas is good too, but he is doing the show during the day.