1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Texans tank the rest of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 16, 2013.

1. what

what Member

Considering the rough start, to me, if I were the owner, I'd make Wade Phillips the interim Head Coach, I'd shelve Matt Shaub and I'd make sure the team knew that we are going to tank the season for a high draft pick.

Especially with the rookie QBs in this years draft. I'd also consider trading Arian Foster or Andre Johnson if I could get a 2nd round pick out of it.

The texans are in a unique situation in that they have a bad ass defense, what they need to is re-tool the offense around a franchise qb.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If traded and they dont get a first rounder for either of them, I will burn my Jersey right next to the bull at Reliant.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Seriously. WHAT the ****? 2nd round picks for AJ and/or Foster? You get a first for either of them or you don't trade them. Even if that means you have to trade AJ or Foster and a 6th pick to get a first pick.

Even though this is Football and 2nd round picks are a lot more valuable, you don't tank for them.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They're 2 games out of first place with five division games and 9 total conference games remaining. Why in the world would you advocate tanking when wins the next two weeks (technically three with the bye) would turn this season around in a big, big way?

I understand the frustration; I get that the team isn't giving us any reason to think they can pull themselves out of it... but if you really think this current situation would somehow be improved by purposefully losing football games.... I have to wonder why you even follow the team. Go cheer for Jacksonville, if draft picks float your boat.

I'm fired up for these next two games; I can't wait to see how the team responds. I want nothing more than for them to punch Kansas City, Indianapolis, an LCD-baiting media and, frankly, fans of your ilk in the mouth with stunning victories that jumpstart the season.

2 people like this.
  5. what

what Member

You missed the point. You tanking OBVIOUSLY to get a high #1 draft pick to grab one of the 6 qbs, Teddy Bridgewater, etc. Trading foster and AJ is more of a way to get younger and try to rebuilt an offense around the franchise qb you SHOULD be taking with your #1 pick that you tanked for.

6. what

what Member

this is a dumb move. schaub is nail-in-the-coffin done. Ya'll need to cut bait with him as soon as possible. If the texans don't go up and grab a franchise qb in this draft, they are inept at running a football franchise. schaub is done.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have no interest in trading Foster or Johnson, particularly Johnson. I want Andre to be a lifelong Texan, but I also want him there as a safety valve for the next QB. Even though Andre is probably not going to back to the playoffs in his career, he can still be an important part of this team.

8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I appreciate the spirit, but with the current QB and coaching staff situation, any regular season success will be fool's gold setting them up to be playoff roadkill, and giving legitimacy to Kubiak.

The sooner Kubiak and Schaub are gone the better, and if that means the Texans can also get a high draft pick for a new QB (kinda like the Colts did) by having a dreadful season leading to "regime change," all the better.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What?? Dontcha know they just have to win the next two games and they're right back in this thing!! Why don't you have any faith they'll win the next two games and propel themselves back into the race? They've shown so many flashes of greatness since the MNF New England game last year, only dimwit would think they won't win the next two games and make this a different season!

1 person likes this.
  10. what

what Member

sarcasm? :grin:

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The problem is I don't see any way McNair gets rid of Kubiak/Smith without them going 5-11 or something similar. And that might not even be enough if the stadium's packed all year. Maybe if the last month the stadium is 75% full (never gonna happen) or if it's full of Texans fans cheering them to lose, maybe McNair will get his head out of his vanilla ass. This franchise has been downright putrid for the majority of its existence and the upper crust down on Kirby doesn't care one single bit as long as we're still going to the games.

This town needs some blackouts.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dripping.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm sure Watt would love the idea of the owner telling him they're not trying to win. He'd probably sign an extension on the spot.

14. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I don't say tank until you've lost your 7th game. 9-7 is simply not going to get you in the playoffs this year, so you might as well tank.

15. Raven

Raven Member

No, they shouldn't tank. Even if the Texans continue to Schaubiak, they still won't lose enough games to get a top five pick. Fortunately, next year's draft is supposed to be loaded with QBs, so picking in the middle of the first round should enough to get the play maker we need.

16. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

If not, after his rookie deal is done in the next year or two we can franchise for 2 years in a row. JJ is not going anywhere anytime soon.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

FYI, not in favor of tanking. I think you always try to win, I just think Keenum has the highest reward out of the three. Our players all seem like mental midgets who can't handle it if the city's not slobbing their knobs every second and can't take a bit of criticism, so Keenum coming in and defying odds by leading them to a couple victories in a row would get this city right back in their good graces. Then maybe they play like football players again instead of needing half the defense to take down something named Zac Stacey.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uhm... they would be; fairly obviously. It's not a terribly difficult sceanrio to grasp.

Well, yeah - I wouldn't confuse illuminating a path with one actually taking the path. I don't have a lot of faith they'll go 2-0 over this stretch. About as likely as being outscored 72-16 over a two-game stretch that includes a game against the St. Louis Rams.

Generally speaking, tanking is an idiotic suggestion and worse to actually put into practice. Losing is not, nor has it ever been, a cure-all for anything - unless the goal is to erode your fan base. You enjoying this era of Astros' baseball?

If they lose these next two, I won't be disappointed if the slide continues and they wipe out what will be an underachieving regime and land a top QB prospect. But to wish for it? Worse, advocate for it? I can't relate to that midset at all.

I'm looking forward to Sunday. Arrowhead is an awesome venue, and that'd be a giant, potentially game-changing win for the team.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In the NFL, you don't tank. It's stupid. Unless there's an almost guaranteed franchise changing talent like Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Mike Vick (bust) or Orlando Pace on the board, there's no use.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If the Texans lose against KC, and Indy beats Denver. Than you tank.

Right now the Texans are still in the thick of things.

After KC the schedule gets soft.