1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(SBNATION) Asik's versatility makes him one of the NBA's best defensive centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Asik is an elite NBA superstar and a consummate professional, I hope he retires as a Rocket. Keep Ömer, make him work in a jümp shot and sign him to a long extension in 2015.

2. basketballholic

Several clips in here of Asik turning LaMarcus' 40% midrange jump shot into a 0% midrange jump shot and even one clip of Asik turning Love's 40% 3-point shot into a 0% 3-point shot.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5-RHqapbOGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JUST IMAGINE....If Asik could shoot 37% from the 3-point line......what would he be worth?

3. afk

afk Member

Omer Asik's real highlights. :p

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Bill Walton, is that you?

Dial it back a notch until they play a game together, otherwise, I generally agree with your point.

5. alethios

alethios Member

What privilege to go from having no real centers to having two elite defensive centers. My head is spinning.

This is my favorite line in the article.
    "You don't trade that type of defensive presence for the free prize in a Cracker Jack box. "

6. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

"JUST IMAGINE....If Asik could shoot 37% from the 3-point line......what would he be worth?"

Come on now, no point in saying stuff like that. You could say that kind of stuff about anyone. 'Just imagine how much Luke Walton would be worth if he could shoot 70% from the field'.

7. basketballholic

Here's the point. If he had a 37% 3-point shot he would be untouchable and worth a max contract. We wouldn't even think about trading him for Love or LaMarcus. He'd be more valuable than Howard.

8. rock34

rock34 Member

between Dwight and Asik, in my opinion Asik has a better chance to develop an outside jumper. He I think has better form and touch. I remember last year when he had to put up a few shots with the clock winding down and I was at least hopefull for improvement. Same goes for the free throws (in the playoff against Thunder), he has a better chance to improve than Howard.

He doesn't have to be Sam Perkins, but say if he can develop to have a decent mid range of maybe an Antoine Carr, I think Howard/Asik can work.

Maybe it's wishfull thinking, but I think the potential defensively is enough to give it a shot.:grin:

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Asiks greatest strength at his size is his footspeed.

10. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Id rather have 48 minutes of rim protection than a better starter at the PF position. Our 2nd unit and small lineup will put up points, but we all saw how our second unit struggles defensively. I think we could see a rotation like this, which means having a rim protection at all times.

Line up 1:

Howard
    Asik
    Parsons
    Harden
    Lin/Beverly

Line up 2:

Asik
    Casspi
    Parsons
    Garcia
    Beverly/Lin

Small Line-up

Howard
    Casspi
    Garcia
    Harden
    Lin

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Spoken like a consummate professional! If he can get a reliable midrange jump shot, there is no way he should be traded, he is just too darn good on defense!

12. basketballholic

Just a reminder about the possibilities of Asik "developing" a jumper.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sGBv4VNYuo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A couple more jumpers in this mix:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qs_leHWiZsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome to 2 months ago...this thread.

13. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

14. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Oops meant 1:30

15. basketballholic

16. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

All hail the Turkish Hammer.

17. cebunit

cebunit Member

Trading Asik would be a huge mistake. I dont seem to understand how some fail to see that. Use and develop what we have at the 4 now, but keep Asik. Now only because he is good, but because Dwight may not stay healthy.

18. blunto

blunto Member

Asik was my favorite player to watch last year. His contributions to winning were very close to on par with Harden.

Such good footwork, super active hands, and don't forget, "ox strong."

And then they added Dwight?

[​IMG]

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

What could we get that immediately makes THIS team better?

That's really the question and more importantly why would we get rid of him this year?

He is needed in the postseason and if after this season its best to part ways... then so be it.. but I believe its best if he stays and waits it up. Let his stock increase again.

20. delta69er

delta69er Member

I honestly believe that Asik has a better chance of developing a reliable jumper than Dwight