1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who should be the next head coach for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Oct 13, 2013.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Instead of arguing, I'll just keep this simple for everyone, here is what will happen:

1a) Kubiak is fired asap, Wade is the interim coach, then a house cleaning after the season. Continue to #3.
    1b) Kubiak and company are fired after the season. Continue to #3.
    2) Kubiak and company keep their jobs, excuses are made, additional time is given. Continue to #4.
    3) Now the question, who do we bring in? The only person I see keeping their job (and I'm not saying I believe it's deserved) is Wade. New coach, new GM, new ST coach, new OC. Continue to #5.
    4) "We had a lot of bumps in the road, injuries to OD, Schaub, Manning. Most of our mistakes, such as turnovers and penalties, are easily fixable because they're on us. Gary and his staff have shown they can take this team to the playoffs, and I have full confidence in their abilities." Prepare for another year of hell, repitition, and broken dreams.
    5) Do we bring in a vet? Or someone young that can easily adapt to the way things are in the game today? Do we hire an OC, or let the coach call the plays? We had (or at least currently have) the #1 ranked defense in terms of ypg, but the worst ranked red zone defense. I'm sure we're near the bottom as far as takeaways as well. Will Mcnair see this, and do something about Wade?

Yeah, I was bored. I've said this is other threads, but I think one of the biggest problems here is the fact that Mcnair doesn't want to pay someone to do nothing (ex. cut someone when money is due). If this was Kubiak's last year, I think it would be a no brainer to let him go. With remaining years and money on the contract, I think Mcnair is hesitant. This also leads to the reason that IF Kubiak is cut mid season, I think Wade will be the interim coach. Why pay someone else for a half season if you don't have to?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

why the GM though? For what it seems, Rick Smith has built a talented roster, side from the QB and coaching.

3. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I'm not talking about Wade staying on as DC. That would likely never happen. I'm talking about him being the defacto HC if Kubiak goes.

4. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Smith and Kubiak go together, Kubiak brought him here.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't have an issue with the system; I have an issue with Kubiak's inability to drag this team over the hump. He's had a roster full of playoff talent for five seasons and been - again, if they bottom out this year - twice. That's a fireable offense, IMO. More so if he's going to (potentially) oversee two *losing* seasons over that time span. This roster should *not* have as many losing seasons as it does playoff seasons.

I would replace the people picking the players and coaches. In that scenario, the system (innocent, IMO) would go with them because the guy picking the personnel is also responsible for the system. Make sense?

6. The Stig

The Stig Member

What is the general opinion on Sumlin being a possible candidate?

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I hear Mack Brown is going to be looking for work soon...

8. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

So you think the problem is not the system, but the players. Got it. Weird, but at the very least you're ending up in the same place I am, replacing the system/offensive coaches.

The basic question I've been trying to get you to answer this entire time is this: Do you think our current offensive system is better than the "post-2005" style spread offense that is so popular now?

The reason I ask is because of how much you recoiled when I suggested Kubiak was stuck in the past, and how it was hurting the team. Your responses suggest that it isn't Kubiak being stuck in the past that is hurting us, but his inability to find players that function best while stuck in the past. Is that correct?

If you like our current offensive scheme better than the alternative, I see no reason to get rid of the scheme. You can bring in new coaches who run a similar offense. Wouldn't that be your desire, given what you've said? Instead of this "new, progressive" stuff?

9. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

You know what? Forget I asked. I'll just assume this is CYOA stuff and move on.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't qualify the various systems. As long as our QB was competent, I never had any issue with Kubiak's system. Its demise is tied directly to Schaub's, with some assist from Kubiak/Smith's inability to plug holes (ie the right side of the line; WR2, etc.)

If I fire him, it would be for not finding better players to execute his system, and for letting the defense hang for essentially four years with bad hires.

Really?... How many different ways are you going to ask me the same thing? Yes. Whatever past discussion we had is not in any way relevant to this one - I'm not firing Kubiak (again, if the season isn't salvaged) because of his system.

Let me stop you right there - you're having an argument with yourself. I never said anything about "better." I like it; it works. My issue is *not* the system.

11. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Rick Smith's only job has been to manage the cap and negogiate deals for players selected by Kubes and wade.

As far as i'm concerned Rick has done an average job at drafting and he's been horrible at managing the cap.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes. Exactly as I mentioned before.

And even if Rick is the all-encompasing GM in charge of everything (which he is not)... how about his lack of ability to acquire or retain quality depth.

This team is always one injury away to a starter from being absolute hot garbage over the last two years. Additionally, much of the quality of your reserve guys dictate your special teams abilities... the Texans literally have the worst collection of special teams players out of any team in the NFL.

Everybody can blame Marciano all they want... but they have ZERO quality players on kickoff or punt coverage, and its showing up every single week.

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

every coach in the NFL wants to be a part in the signing players process, thats why the coaches are in the draft room every year, they make decisions too.

a lot of great coaches have left teams, because the GM doesnt let them have an opinion on the players.

Jerry Jones only hires coaches that wont fight for more power in the signing players process, and look what happened?

Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, besides being the coach, they have a major role in the decision making, even they have another job title besides being the head coach.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

GM-coaches run teams into the ground too. Look at the Jets.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Jim Caldwell or Jon Gruden.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We are now 4-8 since dawning the letter-jackets, including 5 losses by more than 3 TDs.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tannenbaum was the GM... gave Sanchez the extension... got fired.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Things weren't looking good the two games before the letter-jackets too. The wins against Jacksonville/Detroit were more like the wins this year, vs. the wins from last year.

Team hasn't looked like a legit Super Bowl contender since blowing out the Ravens last year.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup. Needed OT to beat one of the worst teams in the league and was gifted an 80-yard TD to win the other. This team has been horse**** since mid-November 2012.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

There goes David Shaw...shooting up everyone's boards. (Price too) :p

#160 J.R., Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013