1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 NFL Draft: Top QB Prospects

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 7, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Need the team to collapse now. They don't need to be 2-14, but they better not nut up and finish 8-8 or 9-7.

2. solid

solid Member

Give Case a chance. How much could it hurt? We are already in football hell.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It may hurt more than help Case's chance of succeeding going against a pretty stout KC front 7.

Me and the guys up here at work have been going back and forth about it. If he really is "the future" I wouldn't want to ruin his confidence by going up against a top 5 defense in the league.

If anything give him the bye week to prepare with the 1st team (maybe have him split reps with Yates) and see how he does against the Colts. If we beat them with Case at the helm, we could be back in the playoff hunt if we rattle off a couple of consecutive wins.

Who knows. It's hard to know what you have in a guy unless you give them the opportunity. And if we lose this weekend there's really nothing to lose at this point in the year.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Kubiak is coaching for his job. If he can right the ship and at least finish well, Bob may give him an extra year. He's not going to take the chance on an undrafted 2nd year QB unless he really has no other option. He'd rather lose with Schaub than lose with Keenum.

5. Genesis

Genesis Member

We got any Oregon fans here? Based on first page profile Mariota jumps out at me the most. Wondering what are some thoughts are on him.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Haha wow. That is one hopeful fan. There are about 5 guys I'd love to have on the Texans, and Manziel is certainly one of them.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

I just know that's exactly what is going to happen. This management and coaching staff would cut off their nose to spite their face. We'll be sitting at 5-8, and you know the team is going to go on a mini-surge to end the season and finish at 8-8, solidly putting them on the outside looking in when it comes to a top 5 Qb prospect. Then we'll have to listen all off-season about how the team battlefought their way to a strong finish, and how we want that to carry over into next season. As a fan, I can't help but feel nothing but disheartened and skeptic when it comes to the leadership of this team.

8. Nerd Elvis

Nerd Elvis Member

I have watched all of Mariota's games since he started last year. His improvement has been steady and rapid. Doesn't turn 20 until the end of the month. Arm strength has improved and goes through his progressions this year much better. Is fast, 4.5 40 is legit. Doesn't take unnecessary hits and uses the edges and roll outs to his advantage. 6' 4" 215 and should fill out a little more as be becomes a man. Very grounded, humble and even tempered. Has absolute trust of his coaches.

Don't think he will come out this year. I think in 2015 he would be the top QB taken if he stays on schedule. I believe Chip Kelly will do everything he can to draft this kid. He is going to be good....how good? Still early but I love the growth.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I just jizzed everywhere lol I really hope we draft manziel

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Sorry meant to put the picture up the manziel in a texan uni made me j*zz everywhere lol

11. Kam

Kam Member

Pittsburgh needs some O line before they get a QB. I don't know what the class is next year, but I'd work on the line first.

12. Commodore

Commodore Member

Manziel will be top 5 pick if not #1, he will be hard to get

13. Breaker

Breaker Member

We'll gonna be in position (top 10) for either

• Bridgewater
      Mariota
      Manziel
      or
      Huntley

All better prospect than any of the QBs from last year.

14. Breaker

Breaker Member

^
    forgot to toss in Tahj Boyd

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Is this sarcasm??

There are multiple QBs, much less players, that rate better as NFL prospects. It's somewhat of a crapshoot... So maybe manziel becomes the best... But I think first round is his hope.

Mariotta does everything Maziel does, but is bigger and seemingly a better passer. I'd take him 10x out of ten ahead of Manziel. But I may be a moron!!

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Someone please tell me why Johnny Manziel can't be a great NFL QB?? It's not a lack of athleticism, not a lack of arm talent.

He has the same size limitations that Russell Wilson has, but he's more athletic in my opinion.

My top 5 targets as of now would be:
    5: Murray
    4: McCarron
    3: Bridgewater
    2: Manziel
    1: Mariota

17. leebigez

leebigez Member

With the wr depth in this past draft, I thought the texans made a mistake by passing on geno smith for this very reason. I think he would've been a very good prospect to rebuild under kubiak for a yr and then move on from schaub. Not saying he's aaron rodgers,because we don't know what rodgers would've been had he been forced to start in green bay as a rookie. When geno began to slide it was apparent he was in the texans wheelhouse,I thought they should've drafted him in the 1st rd and come back in the 2nd or 3rd to get terrance williams,aaron dobson,or keenan allen.

I thought and still think that geno will be a very good qb in this league.He's making progress despite the limited weapons they have offensively and the ones he keeps losing. At least if he was on the roster already they could at least have a future qb waiting in the wings. Hoping they wll finish bad enough this year to get a qb with his talent is wishful thinking. They're gonna have to move up and give up a lot,but there are a lot of teams that will take a qb.So,there are only a couple of options in the texans scenerio. They can hope carolina is giving up on Cam Newton and they can trade for him or they give up a robert griffin type package and some to move into the top 7 or so.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not a fan of Geno Smith at all. I did like Barkley in the 3rd, he has all the mechanical tools that this year's top prospects have. I could see him doing the same things Mettenberger, Boyd and Murray are doing if he was on one of those teams this year. He definitely wasn't ready to start this year though.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

Many folks are over hyping the scrambling QB. Last season was an aberration. The read-option won't last in the NFL -- you'll get too many injuries like RGIII, and in addition NFL defenses have adapted to stop it. A little scrambling ability is helpful, but you don't need a track star as your QB. The big arm, accuracy and poise are still much more valuable.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Kaepernick beat Schaub,
    Wilson Beat Schaub,

and IF RGIII had a crack at us, he'd probably beat Schaub also.