1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We don't need to add a 3rd star..... right now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketSuperman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Roll with what we have, let the team gel and find its identity and then add the missing pieces. Keep to that formula and be ready to pull the trigger if the perfect deal for a superstar comes around and this team is going to be golden.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I agree with Rockets2K....no real trio of stars out there.

The thing is, we have to be patient. Some of the veteran players we lost on this season could have came to us, if we were proven contenders. I think it's easier to build a contender with a "big 3" because it makes it easier financially. When you have too many players to depend on to win, eventually their contracts end and you can't keep them all. The hard part is getting that trio and we're almost there, if not there already.

For young guys, just draft them. We've got all of our first round picks and acquired some 2nd round picks of other teams. That's a much better (cheaper) option than signing young guys to more expensive deals just for athleticism. Although Morey will probably still draft BPA, when it's an obvious choice, i think he may lean more towards filling specific needs, if it's not obvious.

3. butterball

butterball Member

I absolutely agree. Many "analysts" will deny the Rockets as legit contenders because they only have two stars.

The Rockets have always overachieved. This year will be no different. I would rather keep Asik, Parsons, Lin, and young guns with potential like Donuts and TJones before getting another "star" like J Smith.

4. RocketSuperman

Thank you very much!

Yeah my thinking is that we need to keep this current team in tact and keep that chemistry to give the Howard-Harden era a more solid foundation for Championships.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Parsons at least from what he showed last season, can't be a "star", as he lacks the ability to create for himself. He's a great slasher, finisher and shooter, but he can't create. Half of the time he actually dribbles into the arc, he turns the ball over. If he somehow got Lin's playmaking, or Lin got Parsons' shooting, then, we have a borderline 3rd star. Right now, if you count the two of them together, maybe 3rd star, only low side is defense.

6. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Agreed, Asik, Lin, Parsons, Dmo and TJ all have potential and talent to be borderline all stars. I say let's see how they play with Dwight and Harden then decide. And yes, they already have pretty good chemistry and we should see how they develop.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I generally agree. I think I smarter, shrewder move is acquiring quality veterans to fill in roles. Less risk financially, more flexibility.

What first round picks do the Rockets have in 2014? I could see Morey making a deal for Asik that brings back at least one highish 2014 first round pick.

8. bongman

bongman Member

Apologize for bumping this thread but seems appropriate based on the team's performance during preseason.

I understand that we have a tendency in the past to be too optimistic about player X's standard of play during preseason and hale this player as the next <insert name>. Although we have players who has surprised us, our current play has a different vibe than the past as we seem to be sync'd with how the coach wants us to play. There's lot of communication on both ends of the floor and we seem to be competing on every possession.

We have synergy, chemistry and the mental focus to implement what the coach wants. Adding a 3rd superstar might change this and we have to reset again to get back to this state. Is it reasonable to think that we can have our 3rd superstar by committee?

9. rocketblood713

Chandler Parsons is our 3rd star in the making !

10. hbomb

hbomb Member

I think Parsons and Lin are in the running for being our "3rd Stars".

Add Beverly and Asik in as our 2nd teir "stars"

Then our 3rd teir stars are D-Mo/Casspi/Jones

11. hbomb

hbomb Member

**tier

Sorry. Double post.

12. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Not sure whether Parsons is really '3rd star' material if he can't really create shots for himself from a standstill position. A bit overrated in my opinion.

But I agree we don't need a third star. Rather spread the money around different talents. A third star getting the usage rate of a role player isn't money well spent.

I mean if the Miami Heat had Omer Asik and George Hill (because I don't want Jeremy Lin in this conversation ... will lead to unintended discussion) both at ~$8M/yr contract (cap purpose), I would argue they'd be much better off than having Chris Bosh for $17M/yr.

Hill/Chalmers
    Wade/Allen
    Battier/Lebron
    Lebron/Haslem / Rashard Lewis
    Asik/Chris Andersen

Will any team score 80 on that team, and is that team beatable? I'd say that team beats the current Heat team.

13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Take a look at Wall's stats,particularly his 3P%.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chandler is a great fit for us, what we need is a solid 4 who can complement Howard and Harden.

15. bongman

bongman Member

My point was not really whether one of our players develop into that 3rd superstar but rather, if none of them didn't but most of the players improve next year, will this lineup be enough (given the amount of playing together for more than 2 seasons)?

Bringing in a new player will change the current synergy and can negatively impact the flow. Right now, it seems that we are all in the same page and I personally would be cautious in changing that.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

I tend to agree with this. Until Parsons learns to create for himself I don't see him making the leap to star. Until Lin becomes more consistent I also don't see him being more than a Mike Conley type PG. If we combine the two players then yes I guess we do have a 3rd star.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

SMH!! man cut the nonsense out and just welcome the new member.

RocketSuperman welcome to Clutchcity pimpn. I agree we dont need a 3rd Superstar because we might already have that 3rd SS. If Parson continues to improve his all around game, it's a good chance he will be that third SS.

18. dje243

dje243 Member

I think Parsons, Lin, and Asik actually basically together make up 1 and a half stars. Plus once you bring that 3rd star in you start losing all those good role players and have to start churning... which means you'll end up kissing players like Beverly, Casspi, and Garcia goodbye.

19. langal

langal Contributing Member

"third star" theory is overrated. Don't want to get saddled with a long-term max contract for a bad fit just because Morey is reaching for some sort of magic formula. I doubt he would ever do that.

We have Parsons/Lin/Bev who could all blossom this year. Usually number 3 of a "big 3" is just some borderline all-star (remember TMac/Yao/Artest). I think Parsons or Lin become that guy. Would say Asik too but the minutes might not be there. Bev is still a little too early to tell.

1 person likes this.
  20. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

This team hasn't been tested enough yet to consider the 3rd star option. I certainly don't want to see this team gutted just to have enough cap space to add a another star.
    While a small sample size, the way this team dominated seemed to add to the argument that the 3rd star isn't very necessary.