1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Lockhart BBQ joint

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chrispbrown, Oct 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I am in Austin this week and on the way back home I plan on going through Lockhart for some good BBQ.

I know of all the places, Kruez, Smitty's, Blacks...but have never been to any of them.

Since I am only having one meal would love to know if any of you guys have a favorite.

Thanks in advance!

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

There's an extensive thread on this already out there breh. Search for the Texas BBQ thread.

Edit: I'll do you one better: TX BBQ

#2 HR Dept, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kreuz is the best in LockHart.

However, if you are in Austin, go to Franklins or LA BBQ. They are better than anything in LockHart.

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Yea I am pissed I wont be able to go to Franklins...hah can't stand in line for 3 hours during the week.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once I had Kreuz, I never checked out Smitty's or Blacks. I had no reason to. It may be as good or even better, but I was totally blown away by Kreuz. I haven't been there in many years, though.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

the line shouldn't be that long since you are here on a weekday. weekends are bad.

Go to LA BBQ.
    http://labarbecue.com/

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Smitty's is the best IMO.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

In Lockhart, Kreuz is the best. Blacks was blah, and I've never tried Smittys.

Of course Franklins and Snows are the two best in or around Austin.

I think one has to go early in the day to get bbq though. Everytime I've been to Kreuz before noon it's been awesome. Everytime I've been there later in the evening it's been underwhelming.

9. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

All four joints in Lockhart are good. I'd probably recommend starting with either Kreuz's or Black's.

Kreuz's is what defines the Lockhart style. They cook their briskets hot and fast, and their sausage is imitated all over central Texas. But the food is served meat-market style with very little attention to sides.

Black's has great Q and great sides. However, if you served it to me blind, I wouldn't be able to tell I was eating Lockhart Q, I'd just be really happy. When people tell me they love the Salt Lick, I know they haven't been to Black's. Black's has perfected what most big BBQ chains are trying to mimic (Goode Co., County Line, Pappas, Rudy's, etc).

Smitty's is the original Kreuz's location. The building was willed to the sister and the brother was willed the restaurant. The story is that sis hiked up the rent and bro built the new location and moved out. There has been a time when Smitty's outperformed Kreuz's, but most people think the quality has slipped. Worth a trip after you've tried the other two just for the ambiance.

Chisholm Trail caters to the locals. They aren't trying to win awards or bring in tourists, they're just making a living selling product that is almost as good as their neighbors at a substantial discount. We started stopping in because their hours are longer than everywhere else and the lines are shorter. Tons of sides, really good deals on sandwiches. It's a real hidden gem.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Smitty's has gone WAY down hill in recent years. I used to love it. After my last two experiences, I doubt I will ever return. Sadly.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

the pitmaster at Smitty's moved to Austin to start up Schmidt Family BBQ.
    http://schmidtfamilybarbecue.com/

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Never heard of it. $16/lb. for brisket? Seriously? Just go to Rudy's or Meyer's in Elgin.

13. body slam

body slam Member

Not to be the party pooper, but Lockhart bbq is a little overrated.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Kreuz's is awesome.

16. droxford

droxford Member

When I was there in 2011, Smitty's was the best. But I haven't been back in the past couple of years.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

La(LeAnne Mueller) barbecue is the best BBQ I've had from a restaurant. Never been to Franklin or Snows but I've been everywhere else. The pitmaster was Franklin's pitmaster who left for a part ownership of la barbecue.

18. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Might be true, but I've just heard about this place so many times so might as well go when I'm in the area.

Going to try to go to LA BBQ if it isn't too busy during the week.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just not true, Franklins is good, but I think Kreuz is better, Franklins is just the in thing...their briscuit is great but their sausage is meh.

DD

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

LA BBQ is very close! They have free keg of beer in line too!