1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi's role basing on his performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MazelTov, Oct 14, 2013.

1. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

I am pretty sure Omri Casspi surprised a lot of users here after displaying some decent basketball thus far in the pre-season, Casspi showed he has good chemistry with his teammates and it also seems like Houston is a very proper fit for him.

As far as I remember when Casspi was first aquired alot of the users here in ClutchFans disparaged Casspi's value and mentioned he should not play for the Houston Rockets, judging and basing their opinions on Casspi's awful two seasons in Cleveland, as a matter of fact, myself, as an Israeli, I didn't really expect any other comments from the fans because I also knew that Casspi was in a slump and in crucial moment of crisis in his young career, but I also felt like Houston might be Casspi's opportunity to shine, it matched Casspi's style of play and with Dwight Howard on this team it was even better (considering the fact that Houston tried to find decent shooters to surround Howard with), I though that Casspi might succeed in Houston.

Now I really don't want to get ahead of myself here so it won't blow up in my face, but I really think Casspi has been playing really great for the Houston Rockets until now, I'm aware he played only three meaningless games because the season didn't even start yet, but he was showcasing himself and impressed the Houston fans and coach McHale.
    I hope we will be able to witness those signs of sparks from Casspi in the regular season as well, because I really think he can fulfill his potential here in Houston, I'm sure he can contribute and be an important cog in the wheel.

I wanted to ask and to clarify, what are your thoughts about Omri Casspi thus far and what do you think will be Casspi's role in the Houston Rockets?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Athletic talent and solid fundamentals were there from the start for the one who was born in Holon.
    Drafted 23rd in the First round roughly where a certain Kevin Martin was drafted, he was praised one of the international rookies that were ready to play from scratch.

He has never logged more than 25 minutes per game. He should get more.
    In addition I think he is a strong scorer per 36 minutes.
    Houston seems to be really a good place to unleash his inner fire.

He will be needed as the spark off the bench with Beverley, Garcia, Asik and whoever is at 4.
    Score, score, score, pass, pass, pass and rebound the hell against the 2nd units of other teams.

3. allaroundplayer

It's uncanny & remarkable since McHale became Rocket's coach, a lot of Rockets play their best, better than they did on their previous teams and when the leave they don't play as good, & by substantial margins in numerous cases.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

Did OP use a different font?

Anyways. Our second unit might be damn good this year, something we haven't had in a while.

If this isn't just a streak from casspi.... We have a top 5 defensive center in Asik, one of our two above average PGs, and two wing players that have both shown they can score in bunches. I thought depth was going to be in issue, but it might end up being a strength.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

my brain buffered from that font.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

I imagine you get apathetic after years of playing on crap teams. Coming to Houston probably wakes players up knowing they can see the post season.

Even when we were in the mediocrity treadmill, we were still competing for a playoff spot.

Sactown Cleveland etc, haven't been in that position in forever, and that's where we keep grabbing these players from.

7. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

Seems like your brain is degenerated, LOL, I'm just kidding I probably won't use this font anymore....

8. allaroundplayer

What I was saying was McHale seems to be able to bring the best out of players.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

The only problem I have with Casspi is that his best position is PF where Rockets currently have plenty of other options. He played very well alongside DMO, not so well alongside Jones. Not sure how well he will fit alongside Asik/Dwight.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

it's morey

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Casspi is basically a version of Carlos Delfino that is actually a competent basketball player. He'll have a role off the bench.

12. JBar

JBar Rookie

Casspi's play has blown my mind. I think he's a clear case of the "fit" approach for Morey, the approach he's taking now that his asset stockpiling has already yielded the cornerstone superstars. He must have thought that Casspi simply wasn't being utilized well and would excel in the Delfino role. I can't imagine he expected him to play this well, though.

BAABB, you out there somewhere? I'd appreciate your take on this.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Casspi has obviously made the roster, but do not read to much into his recent performances. If he could play like that 50% of the time he would have been an all star and not a castaway.

14. supermang

supermang Member

Let's not forget how poorly he played this summer against weaker competition in EuroBasket. I think he will excel at his support role on the Rockets, but there is clearly a limit on what he is capable of. Fit is extremely important and he can be invaluable as a role player, as long as he isnt asked to do too much (and also if defenses are drawn away from him by other stars, something he didnt have on his national team).

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's only preseason and his average regular season performance won't be this good. However, there will be times this season where Casspi is hot and McHale needs to ride that wave as long as it lasts. But when his shots stop falling, he loses confidence in himself and reverts to what many of us have seen before, McHale will keep him on the bench.

If coming to the Rockets and being older makes the difference, maybe Casspi has a consistent season and plays well enough to be in the rotation most or all of the season. We can dream.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't trust him at all. Lots of guys play for bad teams, but they don't end up as 25 year old minimum salary free agents.

17. dragician

dragician Member

Casspi is our new Nachbar. good in practice, but terrible during real game. but i hope i'm wrong.

18. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

Look, as an Israeli which is following his national basketball team every summer and mainly focuses on Casspi I can tell you what I deduced from the recent campaign, Casspi is not a leader, that's the "bitter" truth, he is a winner but he can't lead a team to the "promised land", he is a player which will do his best in order to contribute to his team and help it to do its best, but most of the time he will be in the shadows, we have to embrace it.
    Casspi's teammates in the Houston Rockets are very talented, you can't compare the amount of talent between Israel's national team and the Houston Rockets.
    In the national basketball team in the majority of the time Casspi had to create his own shots, I knew it wouldn't work because Casspi needs a true point guard to create those open looks for him, that's the kind of player he is.
    I think if Gal Mekel (currently playing for Dallas) would've joined the national team Casspi could've done a lot better, but there is no need to dwell on the past.

In terms of defense I think he shows here what he displayed in the tournament, a very mediocre defender with a great feel for rebounding, I think distributing his minutes in the SF position and the PF position will be great for him.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Frankly I believe it is a matrix of opportunity/fit/confidence. OC has seemed to me to ride a good streak and then wallow in a poor one. He clearly needs an equilibrium to sustain thru a long, long season.

I'm rooting for Omri to make it in Houston. I don't expect more or other than Delfino/Garcia type play. But I will be thrilled with that.

Todah.

20. JBar

JBar Rookie

Believe me, I know he's not this good. But I can hold out hope that he's somewhere between how he looks on the court now and how I had originally imagined he would be.

I knew he could move without the ball, but I didn't realize what a good passer he was. Also, when opponents--or at least conventional fours--try to run him off the three point line, he can put it on the floor and look to create something for himself or teammates. I wasn't expecting that.