1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale: I'd like to get a rotation of 9, maybe 10 guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/video/games/rockets/2013/10/13/20131013-postgame-mchale.nba/

Starts around the 2:17 mark. McHale was asked about the starting PG (I think). He replied that they will alternate starts between Lin and Beverley and went on to expand that he wants to have some of the injured guys back (Omer Asik) and figure out a rotation of "9, maybe 10" guys.

Nothing too ground-breaking. 8 or 9 are fairly typical for NBA teams-- often with the 9th guy playing limited minutes.

10 would be on the high end, though. I think the only team that ran with 10 consistently game after game was Hubie Brown's Grizzlies back in 03/04 and he did it by having starters, even Gasol, averaging close to 30 mpg.

Minutes distribution from that team: http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MEM/2004.html

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Ok so let say it's 10 guys what 10?

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi?
    Jones/D-mo?
    Howard/Asik

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes. That list. Although not necessarily with the depth chart in that exact order.

A ten-man rotation would make sense because every guy you just listed is either guaranteed a spot in the rotation, or is playing really well in the preseason/training camp.

4. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Exactly. No other 10 that I know of. It's a solid 9 with Garcia; however you really do have to include Casspi if he keeps playing the way he is; and so that makes 10.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think one of Jones or D-mo will either be out, or have very reduced minutes.

6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

forsure Casspi has earned himself some mins at the start of the season but I wonder if he is more likely to play the 4? Which it seems like hes been a strech 4 all most all the time during the preseason games

7. SK34

SK34 Member

Or

Lin/Bev
    Harden/brewer
    Parsons/Garcia or Casspi
    Jones or DMO (one goes to d league)/ Garcia or Casspi
    Howard/Asik

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

There is also Greg Smith, who most likely has a secure roster spot unless there was a trade.

I could see him playing the back-up PF spot if Jones and D-Mo are still not ready in the regular season.

Garcia is guaranteed minutes, not sure about Casspi yet since he could be on a hot-streak.

9. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Asik 25 mins
    Beverly 25 mins
    Casspi 15-20 mins
    garcia - 10-12 mins
    Jones and Dmo - 15-20 mins each

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

San Antonio had pretty deep rotations last year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2013.html

11. just a word

just a word Member

love this for the fact of preseving the guys thru the 82 game grind, and also for the fact that mchale acknowledges that there's that much talent on the roster.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

PG: Lin/Beverly
    SG: Harden/Garcia
    SF: Parsons/Casspi
    PF: Dmo/ (Parsons or Casspi plays minutes at PF also)
    C: Dwight/ Asik

I just think Motiejunas has been consistently playing well on both ends for us. Jones is the flashy shot blocker, but his help defense needs quite a bit of work.

1 person likes this.
  13. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Honestly idk about Greg Smith Im not so sure his roster spot is 100% guaranteed

who knows though Im judging way to much on the little bit of him I saw

14. Carl Herrera

Yes... If the team runs with 9, I would guess one of Jones or DMo would be the guy left off the list. It depends on how many minutes the team spends either small-balling (with Casspi at the 4 most likely) or twin-towering.

Motiejunas has looked better overall-- made shots inside and out and even looked energetic on defense. As for Jones, I just don't think his J looks very good-- it's not just that he missed some shots, but how badly he missed. However, it's a small sample size (and maybe time zone changes hurt Jones more than other players) and the preseason isn't over yet.

Outside of these 10, I think Brooks, Brewer and Smith (and Camby if gets healthy) are also ready to step in and at least be somewhat competent if needed.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bev(29)/Lin(19)
    Harden(37))/Lin(11)
    Parsons(36)/Garcia(12)
    Dmo(18)/Casspi(20)/Howard(10)
    Howard(25)/Asik(23)

Harden 37
    Howard 35
    Parsons 36
    Lin 30
    Bev 29
    Asik 23
    Casspi 20
    Dmo 18
    Garcia 12

I think this is the 8 1/2 - 9 man rotation they start the year with.

Obviously they have to figure out who starts at PG. There's also still a possibility that Jones beats out Dmo.

One thing to note is that out of all the practice footage and all the ingame minutes, Casspi has played 100% of his time as a Rocket at the PF spot. With Dwight playing some minutes there as well, there is unlikely to be time for both Jones and Dmo. Not to mention, they are simply not good enough to occupy 20% of a would-be contender's rotation.

I also think that Brewer will eventually take Garcia's spot. Brewer has played very well so far, showing a knack for passing and being in the right spots, in addition to his defense. I will say that Garcia is the better fit on this team due to his 3pt shooting, but Brewer has always been the better player and helps you win more games.

#15 CXbby, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  16. JBar

JBar Rookie

Yes, for me D-Mo and Casspi are the most pleasant surprises.

And if BAABB is right, and they are going to split the non-stretch, non-twin-towers minutes at the four 22 to 6, then I think Jones is going to be at the end of the rotation getting the six minutes.

(And BAABB seems often to be right.)

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

9-man rotations are pretty standard during the regular season. 10 isn't the norm, but not totally uncommon, either. Sorta depends on how good/deep your team is.

Popovich quite often plays 10, sometimes more, because, well, he can.

What I think we'll see to start the year is a regular 10 man rotation that may get reduced to a 9-man rotation against some (better) teams.

18. Carl Herrera

Yes, that's another team limiting the starters minutes to the low-30s-- and even sitting them out for "old age." I don't think they ran with 10 guys each getting 15-20+ minutes in a single game quite as often as the Grizz did, but still an unusual pattern.

I think the big issue with going deeper into the bench, and resting some of the starters more, is whether you can still win games with your bench guys. Some coaches play their best guys close to 40 mpg (Thibodeau) or run with only 7 guys (Mike D'Antoni for a period in Phoenix) because the 8th, 9th, 10th best guys just aren't good enough to help win games. We will have to see about the Rockets roster once the season starts.

19. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

As much as I like Asik, there's no way he's playing more than 20 MPG. I just don't see Howard and Asik on the floor together at all.

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

So does that mean our bench is deep?