1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure nobody thought doc rivers was a championship coach after he was the head coach of 2 19 game losing streaks with 2 different teams either. I'm also sure no one thought phil jax was a championship caliber coach while he was under adelman. There are no championship caliber coaches until that coach is given the talent. You can go to the best coaches in the league and no one would call them championship caliber until they won a championship. That includes pop who fired the coach of a 60 win team when a yr later they were dceimated with injuries. He wouldn't be a championship quality coach had the spurs drafted van horn vs duncan.

2. rokit

rokit Member

Tell that to Dwane Casey

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'd like you to re-read the post I typed some time ago out of the grouping of posts you listed. I dont like that the post is being grouped with other negative posts insinuating that I was advocating for him to be fired.

My point was that he should be evaluated as a whole based on his body of work this past season instead of being tosses to the curb mid-season in an unprofessional manner.

If you took at look at what he was able to get accomplished with the roster he had, the sum is greater than any one piece, and he did a fine job last year at getting this team to respond to him as a head coach and win more games than they were supposed to.

Please dont take what I said out of context. The Rockets should NEVER knee jerk like crazy fans and fire a coach based on one or two rotations that are arguable at best. The Sum of the whole of the production he gets from his players is way more important than one questionable rotation.... which can't be proved as a positive or negative decision either way and is the most common reason LOF'ers have as to why they want him fired..... oh and racism apparently. The arguments are almost always opinions.

#4343 dobro1229, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  4. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

I am sorry, didn't mean to group anyone here but it was just a quick glance of all the reactions from the older members here in this thread during that period of time. And I am not advocating to fire Mchale now.

5. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

That is incredibly fallacious to selectively use a public forum's posts as though they reflect Morey.

Depending on how many points Motiejunas scored that day, he can go from being the worst thing ever to having all star potential. If 20 people were to posts "we should trade Motie" after he had a bad game(happens all the time), I can't reasonably take those quotes and say "Look at these posts on this forum about trading Motie. Morey was definitely looking to trade Motie at this time."

You can find posts on Clutchfans about literally anything, whether it be trading DMO, how great Patrick Patterson is, Royce being the next LeBron, whatever. Opinions change daily. I personally never even remotely thought there was an actual chance McHale was going to be fired, not even once, despite some posts after losing games advocating that he should be.

6. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

What do you mean trying to make those comments reflect Morey? Just opinions and sentiments from the Pre-Lin posters here, so that you won't say they are all LOFs.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Well, Gengar is arguing that McHale was close to being fired. I assumed you posted those quotes to support Gengar's position.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Dwane Casey was never fired after spending only half season with the team.

9. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Just to add, if he were to have said "I think McHale should be fired," I wouldn't have any problems with it.

The problem is he's saying "McHale was about to be fired until his daughter died." That's when you need actual proof because you are making a claim, not posting an opinion.

And I thought you were trying to act in his part and post proof for him with those quotes. That's what I meant in my earlier post. Anyway, I'm going to go eat.

10. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

The front office keeps everything highly secretive. No one will ever know just like Morey came out and supported Lin the same time there were all these trade rumours about Lin in here in early July.

11. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Then just admit the fact that it's a baseless claim. Posts from a public forum, in which you can find literally any and every opinion possible, doesn't validate his post in any fair way. The fact that the only proof is a selective collection of posts from an internet forum should have probably kept him from posting his unsettling theory about how McHale benefited from the death of his daughter.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is the reaction after McHale and the Rockets won by 20 against one of the league's best teams. I'd hate to see the posts if they had only won by 10.

Some real classless LOFs out there.

13. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Agreed; some pretty classless responses too though, judging by recent pages.

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Well, the Rockets have looked extremely strong in their two pre-season games. Then one guy comes along and discredits the coach, claiming he would have been fired had his tragic and personal issue never arose.

And the agenda behind it wasn't because the coach didn't play his favorite player, but because the coach didn't start his favorite player, in a pre-season game.

I would imagine a lot of people would be very upset.

1 person likes this.
  15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

They should be upset; it was a stupid post. I responded to it too.

Indeed, I myself, though a paragon of virtue and righteousness with no known fault, have been provoked into being mildly sarcastic on these forums.

Nonetheless, I draw the line somewhere south of calling people human garbage. If I'm that mad I'd just report the post and move on.

16. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

And, by the way, the Rockets have looked incredible. I think having a year of experience in the read and react offense is huge, and that is a credit to the coaching staff. Add Dwight Howard, who fills the exact slot of player we were missing....

Gah. I have to keep holding myself back from thinking we're going to win 70 frickin games this year.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

This post shows that you are much more intelligent than your previous posts let on. An excellent take on the situation. I loved the R&R reference. However the DDMO may be much more deadly this season that last. A rotation off Howard to stop Harden/Lin is just not going to be a viable option for their defense.

A top 5 offense and a top 5 defense. If either Jones or D-Mo actually show up ... Well in that case it is giddy to think of what might happen.

Through recursive editing I may be developing a thread here.

I actually view the situation at the beginning of last season as an incredible stroke of luck. The right coach (McHale) and an offensive playbook that was nonexistent (Harden). That combination forced the coaching staff to implement R&R. An extremely complicated system at the highest of levels, but one that has absolutely no set plays. Scouting a R&R offense is impossible. Preparation comes down to "well guys play your best and play as a team". NBA offenses are incredibly complex these days, but nothing is more complex and chaotic than the R&R.

NBA defenses are based on the tag-tag principal, but it is difficult to keep that level of discipline against the R&R for 24 seconds. In addition the presence of Howard and Harden will stretch any defense to the breaking point. Both must be tagged every moment. Howard is incredibly difficult to control because an assist can be made 18" above the rim. When the Rockets offense gets oiled up is there even the option to rotate off of Howard? And Harden? There are a few players in the league who can control Harden one on one (Iggy, George, LBJ) but if he comes clear off of a screen it is Katy bar the door. It is an almost certain defensive breakdown since help will not generally be available off of Howard.

On the offensive end much depends on the 3 point shooting or the driving ability of Lin and the PF. Obviously leaving Parsons open for an uncontested corner three is not palatable. This season the Rockets will see uncounted defensive breakdowns, so the PG and PF positions should see a ton of uncontested shots. How easy is an uncontested shot for a NBA player? Without a hand in the face it becomes perhaps the most efficient shot in basketball.

The defensive side is also very interesting. The tag-tag defense becomes much easier when you have a center as mobile as Howard. His tag radius is larger than any other center that I can think of in the NBA. Perhaps larger than any PF or SF. This gives the trail defender a much wider follow gap. More time to work around screens. I would imagine that the Rockets defense will be mostly based on pocket trail. However with Howard, shooting screens around the basket becomes a viable option.

This season I do imagine that Harden will be relieved of some of the offensive burden he carried last season. The question is not can Harden be a plus defender. It is will he be a plus defender. He has all of the necessary physical attributes to shut down most players he is matched up against. I believe that his teammates will exert the pressure needed to get Harden active on the defensive side of the ball. If they do that, then the coaching staff does not have to intervene.

So Howard is obviously an incredible upgrade over Asik on the offensive side. But how much of an upgrade is he on the defensive side? Analysts have said that he is a minimal upgrade. Obviously the 48 minute paint protection cannot be underestimated, but I believe that Howard is a big upgrade over Asik defensively. Nothing against Asik, next to Harden and Howard he is by far the most precious diamond that Morey has uncovered. But Howard plays well above the rim both offensively and defensively. Most shots within 7 feet of the rim this season will be altered by Howard. Painfully altered. He seems to have the reflexes of a cat and can figuratively jump out of the gym. That value added is enormous.

On defense the center position could not be better staffed. Parsons has shown promise also. As previously discussed Harden athletically can well handle the position. Point guard is well manned as well since Bev and Lin are both plus defenders. As on the offensive side, the defense at the PF position is suspect. The Rockets only need somewhat below average defense at that position. Neither Jones or D-Mo was capable of that last season. We can hope for better this season.

Just about ready for a thread.

#4357 jtr, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  18. rju1986

rju1986 Member

Fishing with sarcasm. The ignorant come in masses.

19. rokit

rokit Member

He was 20-20 when he got fired by McHale and that Minnesota team was way more crappier than the Rockets.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well, first of all Bynum averaged more points than Odom did. As I remembered, he was more dominant in defense, posting up and rebounding. He was injured quite a bit. To me Odom was more of a wild card, doing different sorts of damage unexpectedly. Gasol mainly played PF I think. He was good but nothing like Shaq or Pippen. He was a little bit soft and needed some motivational techniques from Kobe and the coaches.

Anyways, the point is, Phil took those two teams to championships earned some grudging respect from me since he wasn't riding the goat tails of Shaq and MJ and he had such a flawed and unconventional roster.