1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think gengar meant it in the way many people are taking it. People need to chill. I disagree with him here, and think it might be a bit insensitive, but there's nothing there to say he's being overtly cynical or a tool.

Here's merely stating that it might have bought him some time. Like I said, I doubt this was the case, but perhaps everyone should take a deep breath and not respond in a reactionary way.

2. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Just read all the comments started from page 1 here before Lin was a Rocket.

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You brought up Mchale's daughter passing to defend your hero. You're a scumbag.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't hate anyone on a message board nor do I even recognize your user name.

Get a life

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

How is it irrelevant? The Rockets were not contenders, they were arguably not even supposed to be a playoff team yet, let alone one in the West. Would a GM hire a coach to develop a team, only to fire him mid season? You might have a case if the Rockets were contenders and trying to win a championship, otherwise it makes absolutely no sense. The season record is the only thing that matters (and not even by much), not a mid season record with a new and inexperienced roster.

You don't have any evidence for this. I could just as well say had Patrick Beverley started all the games the Rockets would have won 55 games.

No, that's not just "my opinion". If you are going to make an accusation, you are the one who needs to provide evidence. If you are going to say something insensitive like "McHale was not fired because his daughter passed away", you should provide good evidence that the tension between Morey and McHale was on breaking point.

So far, all the evidences you have provided is "sources say". How about a link?

5. gengar

gengar Member

You just contradicted yourself in this post. You said you don't remember my username but you claim I said what I said to defend my "hero". There was no mention of "my hero" in my post. lol!

You're the one who needs to get a life, pretending to not notice me just to bash me, and following me into a different thread to take jabs at me.

My post sounds argumentative but I just find this hilarious lol. You're a sad human being..quit following me into threads please :cool:

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

What you said was absolutely tasteless. And to surround it with the gossip and rumors of the time just compounded matters. You could be tasteful and depend on gossip and rumors to make your point, or be tasteless in combination with an actual fact. But don't combine the worst of both.

This will all blow over soon enough.

7. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

This thread was 5 pages before Lin was a Rocket lol

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You're not very intelligent. The people in here ****ting on McHale with 2012 join dates are LOFs who are mad because he didn't start a pre season game. That's why the thread was bumped. Sorry, take a knee little guy.

You sound like an emo high school chick who got dumped. Get a grip dude.

You're trash and I'm not the only one who pointed it out. Keep worshipping an NBA player

9. gengar

gengar Member

Yes, the Rockets were not contenders last season. It's irrelevant because we're not looking at the entire season to evaluate Mchale's coaching performance. You don't have to be a contender to prevent going 8 loss - 1 win streak. We're talking strictly about the time period when Rockets went through the huge loss streak. That's we're trying to decide whether Mchale would have been fired at the moment (time period) or not. Morey had no knowledge of how many future games the Rockets would win after January 27th....do you not grasp this concept? We are NOT looking at the entire timetable here, because we're trying to evaluate whether he would have been fired back then.

Yes I don't have evidence for it. But any reasonable person would reasonably assume that having a good coach would not let your team go 8 loss - 1 win. For example, I don't have evidence that a huge meteor will fall onto New York tomorrow but any reasonable person would reasonably assume it won't happen anytime soon.

It's your opinion that he wouldn't have been fired and it's my opinion that he would have been fired. I stated my reasoning why I believed he would have, and you are trying to invalidate my reasoning. I'm not the one trying to say you are wrong. You are trying to say I'm wrong. Therefore, the burden of proof is on you.

10. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

I don't think anybody is *worshipping* an NBA player here, just following their favorite player, that's a socially acceptable hobby.

Trolling other forum players, blatant personal attack, on the other hand, is not agreeable to most forum posters.

11. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

A small samples of what happened during the period in the last season...none from LOFs

12. gengar

gengar Member

^WOW Thank you. I had no time to find the older posts (trying to finish reading for law school is a pain) but that's a huge middle finger proof that what I said was indeed said by other posts (non 2012'ers) last season

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Do you not grasp the concept that GMs do not hire coaches to develop teams only to fire them mid season? In this case Morey handed McHale a brand new roster, and you think he would fire him in less a season when the Rockets at the time were hanging at .500?

Phil Jackson had a 6 game losing streak. Greg Popovich had a 7 game losing streak. Are they bad coaches now too?

Any "reasonable person" would not expect much from a roster that has minimal chemistry and minimal NBA experience.

You state that the only reason McHale wasn't fired was because of his daughter's passing.

And the burden of proof is on me to prove you are wrong.

I'm just going to quit this argument and hope you can reflect on why your logic might need some tinkering.

14. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

McHale is ok

We should be more focused on firing Kubiak and trading Matt Schaub

15. gengar

gengar Member

Of course GMs don't hire coaches to only fire them mid season. I don't think anyone hires anyone assuming they are going to fire them later. You fire someone because they are unexpectedly bad at their job. That's the basic concept behind firing. It was unforeseen and unfortunate but it happens. The Nets went 3 win 10 loss last year and the coach was fired.

That's not a fair comparison. Phil and Pop had a MUCH longer coaching career than Mchale.

Yes, the burden of proof is on you because you are the one trying to claim I am wrong. I'm not the one trying to say you're wrong. I respect your opinion and just accept that it's different from mine.

16. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

What gengar said was most likely wrong but it hardly makes him qualify as human trash. He would've if he said McHale was lucky his daughter died, or he'd have been fired. Something along those lines. But all he said was McHalewas not fired because out of sympathy, again I disagree that this was the case, but what part of that statement makes him human trash?

17. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

McHale is not going to be fired right now. He was part of the Dwight recruiting pitch, so he deserves a shot to make it work. Wait for the end of the season before evaluating.

18. gengar

gengar Member

That's how I see it too. I never said it was fortunate she died. I just said it happened and that was part of the reason why I thought the higher-ups didn't fire Mchale.

Anyway, not everyone sees things logically I guess. I'm going to go back to my readings..taking up too much of my time =(

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Your inability to differentiate between rumor and fact should serve you well at a law firm.

1 person likes this.
  20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

You're welcome, I think you had very good points from your post yesterday below...:)