1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to be the sixth man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iam, Oct 9, 2013.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Wow those are horrible points.

Play your best 5? San Antonio, OKC, LAL with Odom, Dallas with Terry?

More offensive weapons on the court? Lin needs the ball. He won't get the ball with better players like Howard harden and parsons out there.

Cohesion between harden and Lin? Please take those homer glasses off. Best back court in the league? LOL!! Curry/Thompson, Williams/Johnson?

He can lessen Hardens load from the bench. Besides, didn't we just acquire an MVP level center? That should address this non point.

We already have a better PnR man in the starting unit in Harden. Lin can help the team out by pairing with Asik in the second unit to decimate teams.

In conclusion, the only argument for Lin starting is that his fans would be offended otherwise.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

:rolleyes:

3. imaginedragons

agree with most of the OP's sentiments, especially Lin being a "confidence" player and that at this stage where the Rockets are legit championship contenders, no one can afford "babying". If Lin will find his game and a groove consistently enough to help his team, he will have to work it out on his own. He may find that sweet spot where you go over the hump once and for all as a starter or as part of the 2nd unit, either way it seems that the coaches, front office, and most fans would not look in their rear view mirrors if he somehow falls behind, but would definitely welcome him up front if he does keep up.

don't agree with Bev as the alpha leader - mature type player though. Bev's been through a lot to get here and it shows in the way he plays. He is high energy, and always cheering the guys on and giving encouragement. But maturity wise, he has a long way to go -- keeping away from useless fouls is an example. just saying that rah-rah guys don't always = leadership. just ask ML Carr and Jack Haley.

1 person likes this.
  4. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

If I were the opposite team's coach, my focus would be to shut down Harden since that might shut down the whole team effectiveness if Bev starts. The rest of team could not create their own shots.

5. steady

steady Member

I don't know what the line up today will mean for the long term. But it was incredibly fun seeing Lin do his thing again.

It's not clear what the coaches are thinking; but I am guessing it has more to do with figuring out exactly what they have to work with before making any decisions -=- than a preconceived conclusion as to where they want to end up.

In the meantime, it's just fun wondering which team will be the first to challenge/beat the Rockets. Because right now they look kinda unstoppable.

Pacers next game? Spurs? Clippers?

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm not too worried about Beverley's fouls, since they are a product of his style of defense. He should maintain his style of play whether he starts or comes off the bench and not worry about fouling out, since he does have Lin in front/behind him.

As for the leadership part, fair enough. It was just a minor observation. Even if I am right about it, it would be a small factor. 'Leadership' in general is probably overrated in the NBA. Talent wins.

7. JBar

JBar Rookie

I agree that Bev should be an early sub for Lin, perhaps even earlier than at 6:00. And I think Asik should go in for D-Mo (or Jones) at the same time. It would give the coaches a look at the twin towers early in the game, but still provide them a chance to move away from it after a few minutes without seriously messing up rotations.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Homer glasses? did you read what i posted like two comments above? I dont care what Mchale does as long as it makes the team better overall, but if you seriously believe the only reason Lin should start is to appease his fans, you're deluded. l8ers mate

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

How do you figure? Meaningless stats from one preseason game?

I think Lin should start as well but the fact that some people have said that Howard plays better when Lin starts based off two meaningless preseason games is mind-boggling.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

While Crawford/JR are chuckers, the concept is still the same as with Harden/Ginobili. They have value in that they can create shots. They may not create for others, but at least they can create shots. And they certainly bring more value off the bench when presumably CP3/Melo are off the court for stretches.

Also, to me it's more about style than actually being better or worse. You can say that while Bobby Jackson may not be better than Bibby in Sacramento, he was more of a ball-dominant guy coming off the bench in Sacramento with Bibby the more off-ball player playing with Divac/Webber. I think Lin's style is much more important to the 2nd team.

11. Unstable

Unstable Member

chill folks! it's only been like 2 games into the preseason - nothing is cast in stone.

I doubt Coach wants to put up the "best" team he has at hand for preseason, this is the time to test things out, work out the kinks. Maybe closer to the start of the season he may put in the "best" team to give a test run.

But that aside, I like what I'm seeing of our boys. I think the following Rockets are ready to roll:
    Beverley,
    Casspi,
    DMo,
    Harden,
    Howard,
    Jones,
    Lin,
    Parsons

Not certain:
    Brewer
    Brooks
    Canaan
    Covington

Yet to be tested:
    Asik,
    Camby,
    Garcia,
    Smith,
    Williams

I think in Taiwan, Coach is likely to try the following starters:
    Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Asik
    Howard

I think it's about time to test the twin towers and see how that goes - Pacers will be out for revenge - their fans may call it practice but it still isn't nice to lose by 20 points - their G2 (Paul George and George Hill) wasn't connecting very well in the last game. So they may adjust themselves - so I doubt starting Bev would be useful since they would have planned to handle that..... we should do something they don't expect.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Agree that Lin's game helps the 2nd team more. Just saying that he can still play with the 2nd team while starting if that is what they want, since Harden won't be on the bench much.

Between Lin and Beverley, who in your opinion has the more reliable game, and do you think McHale values that?

I think Lin has more upside than Beverley. His style of play is more conducive to expanding its usage, and effectiveness. I think there's a decidedly more limited ceiling to Beverley's 3 and D game.

But if I had to bet my life on what I will get out of either of them tomorrow, Beverley is the far safer gamble. With Lin it is a wide spectrum spanning foreveralone to surprisebuttsecks.

#212 CXbby, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I just hope Jeremy keeps playing his way, Linsanity aggressive, his brand of basketball, no matter how the coaches distribute his minutes.

14. hltiki

hltiki Member

This...

It was so obvious he wasn't playing the same style of ball as he did in NY. Nothing spectacular ever comes out of forced conformity; you gotta be true to who and what you are to shine.

15. hltiki

hltiki Member

Actually, I retract that as I have no numbers to back me up, only the eye test.

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

Which is why coach is experimenting with the lineup, to see which works better.

Can I see you at least admit there is some merit to the idea of Lin playing the Harden "super-sub" role off the bench?

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

From a theoretical standpoint, I agree with you. That's why I found the concept of the 6th man fascinating when teams utilize it. It was especially eye-popping when Popovich did it with an all-star caliber player.

If you look at history of teams with 2 stars, generally there will be stretches where they both sit. Last season, the Rockets had a ton of time where Lin and Harden both sat, even though the offense looked considerably worse during these stretches. Even back in the Yao/T-Mac days this happened. And we always looked like pure crap during those stretches.

After all these years of watching, I don't even question subsitution patterns anymore. I just kind of accept it as is. One of many things that I don't fully understand about the game.

To me it all depends on how much of Lin's last season was health related. So far in the preseason, it seems that Lin's true ability was closer to his 2012 season than 2013's. Assuming this isn't just a preseason mirage, I say Lin for certain. It's as Morey says, the current game favors guards that attack. Lin can attack very well. Beverley cannot. Lin also is much better in transition, which matters more to this team than most.

On the flip side, if Lin has peaked, then I would say it's a wash. But Beverley gets the edge because he's making no money. While you can replace someone like last year's Lin with a player making a lot less.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think if you were counting on dribble penetration you still go with Lin any day.
    He is close to elite at that.

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

No I completely agree with you.

The following was two or three comments above my previous one. I have absolutely no issue with what Mchale is doing whatsoever. I think its a sign that hes willing to use the preseason (as he should) to tinker and try to find the best possible combinations for the team overall. I've made it abundantly clear that the best option for the teams overall play would perhaps be to have Lin in that 6th man role so there is a dominant playmaker on the floor at all times. The difference between Lin/Bev in the starting unit is nothing compared to the difference in the secondary unit with Lin/Bev. We saw how the 2nd unit offensively was so sound with Lin, this wouldn't be the case with Beverley. Mchale is just trying to find a medium given the talents at his disposal, this is a good thing.

What I took exception to was the fact the other poster said the only reason why Lin should start is to appease his fans. Which is r****dED.

20. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

At some point you grow up and stop letting your identity be tied to an athlete, entertainer,politcian, etc. it will be a load lifted