1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Yup. Howard still needs to prove he's reliable in the post.

Another thing, even if Beverley starts, we don't know what kind of calls he will get during the regular season on D, especially against All-star PGs. I expect CP360 to flop all over the place.

2. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

I think it is fair to say our head coach does not know why 2 NBA teams need to go Asia for a preseason game and apparently more confused why the league chose Houston. LOL

3. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

I think you miss the point. They just do not know why chose an Asia game to do that. They might think our head coach did that on purpose to humiliate the league planner or Asian fans to show off his power.;)

4. Grace33

Grace33 Member

NBA used Jlin to promote the preseason game in Asia, then made him coming off bench for the FIRST time in the FIRST preseason game in Asia. What a joke!!!
    Clearly the Houston Rockets don't give a sh** about how their Asian fan would feel...
    No matter what the reason they may use, that's just how I felt from yesterday's game....

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Lol at whoever thinks that

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Whoever finishes the game is more important.

7. verysimplejason

I can only see this as good for Lin. Who knows, if he plays well, then there might be no need for starters to go back into the game most of the time thus preserving them till playoffs. It'll also be good for Lin should Rockets decide to trade him soon. With Lin and Asik, you'll have starter-quality players in the second team thus almost nothing will be lost when the starters sit. The only problem I see from this is offensively, the subs might be more fluid than the starters if this game would be an indicator. If you watched the game, the subs played as if they're a lot better than what they are due to Lin. It happened in the past, there's no reason it'll happen again.

8. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

I think it is why our head coach committed Lin to start in next game. I guess someone already reminded him of something, otherwise he did not need to announce next game starters this earlier. He might know he did something not good for NBA or organization and feel the urge to immediately correct it with an earlier starters confirmation. If not, why did he mention Lin to start for next game then? Did he has a habit to announce starter during post game interview?

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I'm Asian, and I think this comment is completely full of crap.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Preseason is meant to be a time to experiment so people shouldn't get all twisted or up in arms about things.

And hey, if it turns out Bev is better with the starting group and Lin's game flourishes when he can dominate the ball more, so be it. Honestly, I think winning is what Lin is all about. Some of his fans seem to care more about status and all that.

11. Apache

Apache Member

Start Lin at the PG , he makes everyone better, Bring Lin off the bench with the 2nd unite Lin still makes everyone better. Lin is a PG like Nash who makes everyone better..,

12. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

NBA also promoted Yi Jianlian for the China games when he was with the Bucks, but then they traded him! so no Yi.

Kobe is also widely popular in Asia, but fans won't get to see him play in China either. Imagine how they feel.

At least Filipino fans got to see Jeremy play. Lin's market value still has lots of potential and he can visit more countries in the future.

It's allright. Cheer yourself up and watch some Lin highlights! lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-9kLNN3K-4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Grace33

Grace33 Member

Haha, they don't give a sh** about how we feel but still want our money...
    Thanks for your Jlin highlights anyways~~

14. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Born and lived all your life in 3rd world country in Asia? paid 500 dollars for tickets to watch preseason? don't think so...

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Ugh. Was hoping for some intelligent debate and discussion.

Perhaps a good place to start would be in asking what the team needs from its PG paired with Harden? I state it this way because who 'starts' is really irrelevant.

Harden in unquestionably better than either Lin or Beverley. I hope we can all agree on this. It's the PGs job to make Harden look good, not the other way around.

So what are the characteristics of Harden? He's a creator, both for himself and others. An excellent and efficient shooter. He needs the ball to be at his best, but he can also play off ball from time to time. He hasn't proven to be a lockdown defender, though he will probably improve with the addition of Dwight.

So let's look at Lin and Beverley side by side, and see who makes more sense.

Lin is an average defender and shooter. He's a good creator and needs the ball to be at his best.

Beverley is a slightly better shooter and significantly better on ball defender. He's not in Lin's league as a creator, and probably never will be.

Beverley, IMO, is the best fit to play with Harden. PG is the deepest and most talented postion in today's league, so having a great defender at PG will be a major plus in at least half our games. Bev doesn't need the ball to be effective, whereas Lin does. If Lin takes more control of the ball than Bev would've playing with Harden, then he's taking possessions away from our best player.

Who plays better with Howard is irrelevant. I'm sure Lin will get 10+ minutes a game playing with Howard, as Howard will play at least 36 and Lin at least 25.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So when do you start caring about what's best for the Rockets?

17. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I can safely assume, after the Asian Tour...

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I think it is unjustified to lump all Asians together and assume that any Asian nation automatically cares about Lin more than other Rockets (or Pacers) players. Japanese and Koreans certainly do not identify with Taiwanese. Chinese may in a sense, but I know for a fact there is high tension between China and Taiwan. I don't know how Filipinos feel about Taiwanese, except for that video someone posted of the Philippine coast guard machine gunning a Taiwanese fishing boat. Do you really know that much about Asian nations?

19. Grace33

Grace33 Member

Sorry, what I just said not present all Asian People but just express how I feel.. And it's welcomed to have a different opinion:)

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I don't know about y'all but I want to win games and I could give a rats a** about pleasing Asia... If having Lin come off the bench makes our team more dynamic and more likely to win then do it, and ef Asia and the rest of these LOFs with the logic of a 11 year old!!!