1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Yellow

Yellow Member

The real reason behind the line-up change, Beverley sent him this text: "I will start from now" with this photo included:

[​IMG]

2. kcd

kcd Member

He won't get the minutes to be the 6th man.

3. RedNickNY

RedNickNY Member

Hi Paula Deen. How's your cooking empire doing these days? :rolleyes:

4. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

In Manila, I would argue that most of Lin's fans ARE Asian.

5. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

From the 15,000 signature open petition to keep him in New York before he joined the Rockets.

6. joepu

joepu Member

Yes that must be it, people of Asian descent don't know much about basketball. :rolleyes:

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

How about the 2 million Asian fans that follow him on WEIBO? But I get your point. He has Asian and non-Asian fans (he should; he's a great guy). But he has far more Asian fans when you start counting other countries.

8. Vpballa916

Vpballa916 Contributing Member

he will be the first guy off the bench, which by definition, would make him the "6th man"

9. Vpballa916

what do you expect? Asians have an easier time relating to other Asian people, just as blacks relate to blacks, white to whites, so on and so on.

10. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Can we dispel this myth that the Philippines loves Jeremy Lin? We don't care about him any more than the other players on the team. And to that dumbass who said that pretty much only the Chinese Filipinos could afford the tickets: stfu. You don't know what you're talking about.

11. Vpballa916

to be fair, there were a crap load of Asian non NBA fans who came out in droves during LINSANITY.

it transcended the sport, they just wanted to enjoy the ride because it was an Asian guy giving it to guys like Deron Williams, John Wall, Dirk Nowitzki, ALL OF TORONTO, and Kobe Bean Bryant.

12. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

There were a lot of non-Asian, non NBA fans too. Especially among the American Faithful.

13. kcd

kcd Member

So DMO is also a 6th man, he also gets sub at the same time as Lin? 6th man is given a lot of minutes, which Lin probably won't in that position.

14. kcd

kcd Member

Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone doesn't. Lin was one of the most interviewed by the media there. A lot of articles were about him, not other players.

15. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I don't get this new "Beverley is clearly worse than Lin in both lineups" sentiment that's growing...

Beverley pretty much beat Lin across the board in every advanced stat last year. Lin did play more and faced more starting units, so that evens things out a tad. From my POV, Beverley, in a somewhat small sample size, showed that he knew his role better, performed more consistently, and showed more mental toughness last season.

That being said, I think anyone who thinks Lin is easily better than Beverley, or vice versa, based on what we've seen from both in Rockets red, is biased and/or misguided. They both have clear advantages over one another, and should receive comparable playing time.

As for who starts and who is a key bench piece, who cares? I'm in the "Lin would be a better fit as the 6th man" camp, but either way, they're both going to be key parts of our team this year - and they both bring different, unique, and complementary skillsets to our PG position.

16. Vpballa916

if he doesn't then that's his fault for not making the best out of his role. Lin is touted as a hard worker, so i don't doubt his hunger, but to suggest that he wouldn't be given a lot of minutes, or thrive as a 6th man is premature.

17. Vpballa916

i was referring to Asian Americans.

18. kcd

kcd Member

Whatever. It will depend on McHale. Lin has been sub out even when he's been playing well last year. Lin and DMO were sub out very soon in the first preseason game.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Most of Kobe's fans are Asian too if you count other countries, if only because most people in the world are Asian, guys.

20. Vpballa916

don't "Whatever" ME!

but on a serious note, you shouldn't be so negative. This isn't gloom and doom for Jeremy. The freaking season hasn't even started, yet, and you Lin Lovers are already jumping off the bridge.