1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin and Pat Bev will alternate starts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

So if PGs and PFs are alternating games, does it mean that Jones and Beverley are seen as playing together a lot and DMo and Lin are seen as playing together a lot?

2. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

We need to stop using those stupid acronyms. It's even worse when people use them outside this forum, because the average person doesn't even know what it means.

3. Fighton

Fighton Member

hahaha so true. hence the "rotate" thing - next game lin will start and what do you know, it's in taiwan!

very likely bev will start for good as soon as they return to houston.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

The BeverLin Connection

#44 across110thstreet, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  5. J Hard

J Hard Member

Too funny

1 person likes this.
  6. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Howard need to run the pick and roll with Harden, period! He will run it with Lin too but the number one option is Howard Harden pick and roll.

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

That is yet to be seen. I am not sure how their pnr is doing. Didn't see much today. I saw a lot of Howard post ups and Harden ISOs.

8. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

this is a open competition now, LOFs can only be mad if Lin outplays Beverle and doesnt get to start in regular season. so far theyve been pretty even.

9. quatin

quatin Member

I have yet to see anything from Parsons that suggests he is better at playmaking that Harden. His 1vs1 plays is always pump fake a 3 and drive in, which works only because he's a good spot up 3 shooter, but won't work if he's the ball handler. I also see him jump without an idea what to do with the ball, should a big man rotate in for the block on the drive. Except in transition, I rarely see him make setup passes. There has been a couple of games where he got a lot of assists, but I think those were a result of Greg Smith or TJones finding a rythmm

10. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

It's posts like these which reinforce the notion that it's not about playing the best position, but about whoever's starting being better than those who don't. Even if Lin could propel this team to greatness as the ultimate 6th man, no one's going to like it (nor would it be true) if anyone says he's worse than Bev.

11. boiler

boiler Member

To me it's really not about starting. It's all about playing time. If he gets to play 30+ minutes off bench, I don't see why people would have problems with that.

12. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

It's only used in this forum.

And it is bad.

I don't call anybody LOF or LOH directly (unlike some here), I just used this term to describe the fighting between these two factions.

13. steady

steady Member

I didn't expect to feel this way, but I think it's a good idea to have them alternate for the preseason. The Rockets need to figure this out, and resolve it. Lin's confidence seems solid this year, he'll be fine.

14. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Yeah, Bev and Lin will rotate starts, except when the starts aren't in Taiwan and there is no marketing reason to placate LOFs.

15. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

You guys Are acting like Lin played bad with the starters the first game... He played both games well.. In comparsion Beverley didnt match up to lin as a starter as he did from the bench on the first game.

In all its just 2 games and cant compare anyways.

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

This is Lin were talking about. Everyone is going to take whatever they want from these games and run with it. I'll be surprised if this isn't plastered all over ESPN and Bleacher Report.

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

If this experiment thing continues, Lin will be out of H town in a year or two, which seem to be a good outcome for both party.

You can only hold a quality player for so long.

The only quality player who is willing to start from bench for his carrier is Ginobili. No one want to be a bench player when he is capable of starting for at least of a dozen teams.

18. boiler

boiler Member

So true. If Lin plays great off bench, those guys will say Lin can only play against scrubs.

19. gengar

gengar Member

Howard needs Lin and Lin needs Howard

This coach is dumb. There are ways to make Harden score heavy points without having him handle the ball all the time

1 person likes this.
  20. Ultimate6thMan

The problem I have with this idea of alternating starting PGs every game during the preseason is that this team DOES NOT yet have the chemistry needed to contend for a championship. You don't get it by experimenting this much during the preseason, no matter how good that idea sounds to you.

Experimenting this preseason should ONLY be for who will start at the PF position. We have our FOUR core players/starters already and they need to build chemistry with Dwight to get off to a great start in order to compete for home court advantage and a top playoff seed.

While I think Lin should clearly be the starter, if McHale really wants Bev to start, I think he should just step up and say it clearly that Bev is his chosen starter and continue to start him ALL preseason long so that the starting unit can build that chemistry needed to get out of the gate soon and win a lot of early games.

Like Morey said, these windows of opportunities to compete for championships don't come around often and you can't just assume you will have that opportunity for years to come because our players are young. Look at Tmac/Yao, Shaq/Penny, etc. We have to take advantage now the best we can. We don't have a preseason to play around with and then try to pick a starting lineup finally the first regular season game and hope it all goes well. Every preseason game needs to be developing that chemistry to maximize our wins coming out the gate. It is enough already to have to determine if the starting PF is going to be Dwight with Asik at center, or one of DMo, TJones, GSmith or even Cassipi if McHale wants.

But don't F up our team chemistry by rotating 2 of the starters all preseason long and hampering chemistry from being developed by at least 4 of our starters and possibly creating rifts among the team and even with Morey and Les.

I think Lin should definitely start, but I also think that McHale prefers Bev and wants him to not only start, but play more minutes as well; as he has done in both preseason games so far. If that's the case, then McHale needs to man up and just state that Bev will be his starter and get the most minutes so that the team can build that chemistry with him as the starter going into the regular season.

It will be interesting to see how Les and Morey view his coaching decisions IMHO. I'm sure that with Les having to pay all of this money and possibly going into the luxury tax sometime in the near future, he loves the money that Lin brings in. And Morey is on record with how high he is with Lin's importance on the team....whether McHale sees it or not.

Nevertheless, I love Bev as a player and hate having to choose between him and Lin, or even make comparisons. But I feel that McHale is the one that creates the controversy by his substitution patterns and changes like this that make no sense. Basketball is not only a business about winning, if it was, all those players that commit crimes, etc. would not be cared about and teams would play anyone just to win. Basketball is also a marketing business for profit, and he totally missed that end of it by not starting Lin when he has started every game where he was not injury....on a promotional trip for the NBA to ASIA. SMDH

I know his primary job as coach is to figure out what makes the team win the most games, but you can't also ignore your other responsibilities, etc. just because of what your primary job is. Regardless of how they played (I haven't seen the game yet), this was a TURRIBLE decision in regards to timing by McHale.