1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin needs to be the sixth man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iam, Oct 9, 2013.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I just hope Lin takes the wide open shot when he's open instead of passing or going to the hoop

2. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

actually i find the case for making him 6th man weak based on the preseason game. The starters were mesh so well. nice offensive flow. Even Dmo looked serviceable in that lineup. Its the bench which needs to get themselves, sorted out, maybe it was the lack of Asik. Can we have a debate on the bench?
    there were all sorts of problems , for one that AB Beverly Smallball was not working. any gurus with ideas here.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

Hit the 3 and play decent defense. That is all he needs to stay the starter. No ones cares about his ability to P&R and "get" the ball to Dwight if he can't hit the open shot or is to scared to shoot the damn basketball.

4. MonKing

MonKing Member

Yep, with moderation like this we are in for another lively season of flame wars in the GARM.

1 person likes this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Moderation has little to do with the flame wars happening, unless they decide to do a widespread purge of all the Lin fanboys.

You should check out

http://yaomingmania.com/forum/

I think you would prefer the moderation over there more.

6. kastuul

kastuul Member

The Harden and Lin chemistry was getting better until April.

Harden and Lin both admited they were tired.

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I don't care where he ends up, starting or 6th man, I just didn't understand why you thought if he were to be moved to 6th man that he wouldn't be playing with Dwight.

I also find it interesting that some of the people who bring up our weak bench are so against making it better by putting Lin there to lead it. Again I'm fine with wherever the coaching staff puts him because I think he can produce in either role.

8. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

This goes both ways. There are many who feel that there are a large number of people online who go out of their way to berate Lin or champion his competition. People who then seem to act defensive when others don't go along for the rhetorical ride or contest their opinion.

I think it's important to not pretend this is a one-way street. There are two sides to this equation, not one. That is my view, anyways. Baiting or putting-down one side isn't a solution, I don't think. It's more like pouring gasoline on a fire.

I agree with you that things will resolve themselves, in time. That is why I am less inclined to participate in these discussions presently. Why waste energy on something which will work itself out?

I don't envy the job you and other moderators on the site have to do. There is a lot of heavy emotion, it would seem, around this subject and this team currently.

9. kcd

kcd Member

Well, if you think he will produce in either role, then he should just start and this shouldn't be a question. He was brought in to start and paid to do so, unless he fails miserably this year. Bev or any other PG could start if Lin is traded or leaves in a few years.

And we really don't know if our bench will be weak, it only looks that way because a few players are hurt.

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I agree that Lin will be good in either role. One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that Lin does well getting into the flow and managing a game. He does not often start off on fire. To me that means that he is also better in a starting role. He has always been a natural leader and was able to repeatedly overcome slow starts by finishing games strong

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

It's a question if Lin coming off the bench is better for the team. It's not about a demotion or who anyone believes is better between Lin and Bev. It's fit and match ups.

If our bench is consistently having trouble putting up points I can see why putting Lin there would make a lot of sense. Not saying that will for sure be a problem, just a scenario where Lins skills of scoring and setting up teammates could be useful off the bench.

There's such a closed minded thinking by some people when this topic is brought up. It would not be the end of the world and probably wouldn't even result in less minutes played.

Again I'm not advocating one over the other, I just see both sides and think either can work. The one I want the team to go with is the one that has them performing the best all around, whichever one that may be.

12. kcd

kcd Member

The thing is with Harden playing a lot, I don't see how Lin in playing from the bench will have a lot of minutes to do so. That's the issue. If people are saying Lin playing with Harden doesn't work, then Lin will not be playing much at all. The bench just need to maintain a lead or defend well, since Harden and Howard will probably play a lot.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

To me it's not that Lin doesn't play with Harden well. I think we have seen they can play well together and Dwight will almost surely make it even easier.

The reason I could see Lin being most beneficial coming off the bench is that if one group needs the superior playmaking talent it's the bench not the starters. Especially with the type of player Harden is. I think Lin would do a better job of making the bench players better than Bev could. And on the flip side the starters don't need to be setup nearly as much so a guy like Bev wouldn't hurt there.

All that said I'm of the mindset that if it's not broke don't fix it. If things are running well the way it's currently setup than I'm happy with keeping it that way.

14. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

What is wrong with you?? He started every game last season why should his progress be interrupted now. McHale was happy with J Lin and thats all that matters. This Obsession that Houston fans put on 1 player is absurd and idiotic. Lin is a starting PG in this league. If the Knicks would have kept him he'd be starting for them. Morey brought him in to start and is paying him accordingly. Beverly is a backup and was brought in to do so and is being paid accordingly. Get over it. Title teams rarely have the PG as the best player look it up.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

He;s not getting paid to do a role, he's getting paid to perform and if he performs better off the bench then you bring him off the bench. There is a reason why Ginobili, JET, Harden came off the bench for their respective teams

1 person likes this.
  16. iam

iam Member

You are looking at this all wrong. It's a team game. Jeremy Lin is a starter in the league. However, the team might be better if he was the sixth man. Look, Oklahoma City was going to pay JHarden $44 million to be the sixth man. He was not going to be in the lineup with Westbrook and Kevin Durant.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

so you think he should come off bench?

I dont think pay should have any consideration. Those guys you mention are great examples but the offense simply flows and plays to lins strengths better to be paired with harden and howard. Im okay with lin running with 2nd unit at times to provide scoring punch.

Beverly can have the same effect as ginobili and jason terry while doing so from a defensive stopper point of view.

I envision us going up early and then mid to 2nd half of 1st quarter bring in beverly to start shutting the other teams 1st or 2nd string guards. Then put in lin again to put the pedal on the gas and stuff some more points down their throats ..From lin its assists and offense with harden howard and parsons to throw to. I like the idea of lin and beverly together for periods too. I think brooks sits.

Having a defensive stalwart like bev is a luxury to bring in all the while having a good pg like lin to overall handle the offense for harden and howard. Thats a very formidable 1-2 punch at the pg position and bev can focus on being that shutdown badass.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The spot up shooting thing is a myth. If you look at Lin's shot chart, he takes the same percentage of shots at the rim as Harden, and far more than any of our other perimeter players.

19. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Did anyone catch Dwight messing with Jeremy's ears last game?

[youtube]DOWIywpg37U[/youtube]

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Anyway I think what the coaches did was working in the first quarter. holding Harden in longer. It's very obvious that the Rockets was experimenting some in the later parts of the game with their lineups. Making DMO run with bench and AB and Beverly smallball. Remember Lin played very limited minutes in the last game
    But as far as starting goes, Lin feels like a lock. :)