1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bäumer, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Does anyone know of a good tent camping spot within about 3 hours from Houston? I want to get out of the city this weekend for a couple of nights and have a campfire and see some stars. I'll be taking my girlfriend so I was hoping for a place somewhat non-primitive (near a bathroom w/ showers), but preferably not too crowded. Any suggestions?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Stephen F. Austin State Park or Brazos Bend?

1 person likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Galveston island state park around now is nice. A little more than an hour from downtown and quite. Can walk the trails and kayak.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bastrop, Huntsville state park, Retreat at Artesian Lakes (formerly called Chain-O-Lakes).

The last one has log cabins and you can get all sorts of crap in your package there. That's the only way my fiance will go camping: cabin, A/C, jacuzzi, horse drawn carriage to take you to breakfast, spa, etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Huntsville has always been my preference.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bäumer

Great, that's like 45 minutes from me. It's not too crowded this time of year?

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Hard to beat Lake Somerville. Far enough away from the city but still close enough to be an easy drive. Also got Lake Livingston amd Martin Dies.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bäumer

I have been to Somerville and loved it and go now, but they have a burn ban right now. What is Martin Dies like? a lot of gators?

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Agree completely with Huntsville. Very nice park. Good luck getting anything more than a primitive spot (you'll still have water), though. Spring and fall camping fills up quickly.

Palmetto State Park is nice. I don't know if Bastrop is 100% back online after the fires and floods it's had. Damaged a lot of the park. If so, it's a great park, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Aren't all of the state parks closed due to the government shutdown?

11. updawg

updawg Member

National parks will be closed not state

I'd check about burn bans ahead of time

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

national parks are closed. screws up my solo roadtrip to Big Bend and Grand Canyon next week if those bastards don't get back to working. :mad:

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not our choice.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

a little farther away (4hrs) but also a State park and therefore NOT closed is Enchanted Rock State Natural Area. They have camping sites and great hiking.
    The view from the top of the Rock is very nice (its much bigger than it looks in the video)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E8WfZL1_Ck0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was just speaking in general. are you a park ranger? :)

16. Bäumer

I just called to book at Huntsville and they were completely booked on Saturday. I booked a spot for just Friday night before it filled up ... a little disappointing

17. updawg

updawg Member

Go to tpwd's website and you can reserve places online

18. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You want to see some stars? I'm surprised not enough people are touting Brazos Bend State Park outside of Sugar Land, which hosts the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences George Observatory with its 3 telescopes (although the big one has been down for repairs longer than a year). Every Saturday, the Observatory opens its telescopes for stargazing and has multiple guides to focus on stars and planets. Some people even bring their own telescopes and let others use them.

I've been there twice and it's great. Unfortunately, the large 36" telescope is down and who knows when it'll get repaired, but generous donors have donated two smaller telescopes for public viewing.

1 person likes this.
  19. Bäumer

Has anyone camped at Sam Rayburn?

Most parks are full for both nights, I never realized that these parks were this popular. I thought I would be fine booking a spot today.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All kinds of people camp from Boy Scout troops to traveling tourist and in Texas fall and Spring are peak seasons for it because of the cool weather.

When you get used to it you'll start booking a month of two in advance. Invest in a Texas Parks membership.