1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scahill & Greenwald to report on NSA, "US assassination program."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Brandyon, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/world...ld-working-on-new-NSA-revelations-4853332.php
    There are an number of cases they could end up releasing information about. Will it be big enough to get citizens behind a common cause, rather than point fingers at anyone who voted for x?

Russell Welch? Both contributed to exposing Iran-Contra. One shot himself in the head multiple times shortly after.

David Kelly? He came to public attention in July 2003 when an unauthorised discussion he had off the record with BBC journalist Andrew Gilligan about the British government's dossier on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was cited by Gilligan and led to a major controversy. Kelly was questioned aggressively about his actions. He was found dead two days later.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what they have, and seeing how people respond in the wake of the Snowden info.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I have always wondered about:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...913/George-Bush-aide-dies-in-plane-crash.html

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"Christian nation"

4. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Don't worry, the National Enquirer will be more than willing to run it anyways. Maybe even the Daily Mail.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

What good is a sit-in if the business owner kills you and nobody ever knew that you were there?

6. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The MIC wasn't spying on anyone either, until they were.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Naturally, because the fact that they didn't present evidence at the press conference means there is no evidence. :rolleyes:

Had they presented evidence, you would want them executed for treason, so quit acting like you give even half a f*** about there being any evidence.

I highly doubt you even object to an assassination program as described by the two men, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

A pleasant day to you too, Mathloon.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why would they give you the evidence at a news conference instead of when they publish their work?

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This reads like last nights episode of The Blacklist.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Necrobump this thread when they've actually published their story with the evidence they have. I'm not very interested in speculating. If OP is right about private citizens getting knocked off simply for being political enemies, Greenwald might want to watch his back.

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I don't think the OP says that - at least not directly.

No reason to doubt Greenwald. He's been providing solid stories for some time, particularly in regards to Snowden.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not doubting him, he's done some good journalism. But he's no friend to the US Government at the moment. If there is a journalist in the world (aside from AQ propagandists, I suppose) with a legitimate fear that the government is going to assassinate him, it'd be him. But, I won't believe we're in the business of assassinating journalists (until he goes down in a small plane crash). I expect the assassination story will be something different from what OP is expecting, but I guess we'll see eventually.

14. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Last i saw greenwald was on foxnews. just sayin

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do you think Assassins get furloughed with the shutdown?

16. SpiceLaneCowboy

glen greenwald is a great journalist. doesnt matter he was on fox news. he's going on every channel to prove a point and report real news. He's been on abc and nbc news too.

17. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

He is obssessed with this issue.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

For good reason. It's an actual issue of real importance. Unlike most of the political flag football or celebrity scandal horse**** one sees on the "news".

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I'm not really sure what to expect, but you're correct in that it likely won't have anything to do with the names I mentioned. Those were just a few of the people that popped into my head upon reading the article.

Anything can be dismissed with these types of generalizations, but rejecting information like that is a mistake. Don't let yourself fall victim to the trappings of "default" conclusions. Better to consider any & all information available, and make a rational decision.

Nobody can make a difference in everything that needs to be fixed, so we choose an area we think we can & focus on it.

Greenwald answered questions for about 90 minutes yesterday. No new information on this particular topic, but some good stuff regardless. Specifically, I like the plan of leaking information over time, so that the lump sum of it can't be dismissed. Also, they are clearly vetting the information as much as possible.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1nisdy/were_glenn_greenwald_and_janine_gibson_of_the/