1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Do the Rockets have the NBA's best backcourt?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 17, 2013.

1. verysimplejason

So much for the complaints... Let's see this upcoming season. Harden/Lin/Bev will prove again the best backcourt rotation in the NBA. I had high hopes on improvements on all of them. Harden being a small PF is on-target. I always think he plays low with his feet anchored (or near) to the ground most often even when driving to the hoop. This way of playing is much more suitable to low post defense rather than perimeter defense. Anyway, I can't wait to see a new and improved Rockets this season.

2. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Kind of lazy for the writer to just go with the playoff numbers. I'm guessing that was probably the first time he heard of Bev and immediately jumped to the conclusion that he would fit better with Harden without reviewing his overall season.

3. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I'm pretty annoyed that a guy like Doolittle would actually throw out numbers for the incredibly small sample size of the playoffs. Given his "sports stats" pedigree, it's tantamount to malpractice. It feels like he ran out of things to write about and was compelled to do more than just post his projected WAR numbers, so he just grabbed whatever numbers were handy or something.

4. kcd

kcd Member

Most PGs struggle with elite PGs, not just Lin and Bev didn't contain Westbrook at all either. CP3 can't either. This notion that Lin is a poor defender over others is ridiculous.

5. kcd

kcd Member

Agree very small sample size and also Lin only played healthy one and a half games. Also Westbrook who normally scores a lot got hurt after the second game.

1 person likes this.
  6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm not saying necessarily hes a bad defender, I'm just getting at the fact his lateral footspeed isn't that good, with that said he's a smart defender (when hes not helping down low) and funnels players well.

I agree, no point guards can defend each other one on one. Beverleys defense at times in the playoffs left something to be desired (blowbys), probably more symptomatic of really extended minutes. Beverley is more disruptive, but Lin isn't a bad defender at all.

7. dantian

dantian Member

GS has the better backcourt simply because they know how to best use their backcourt's talent. There is constant iso of one single player while others stand around. And the 2nd member of the BC is also given freedom to do what he is capable of to contribute and take pressures of the #1 member. That's the difference maker there.

8. wil55n

wil55n Member

Wait, so this article is saying that Harden + Lame PG (Lin) could be just as good as Harden + Awesome PG (Bev)

In essence, Harden + Any PG is the best backcourt in the NBA.

9. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

This is the key flaw in the "analysis" comparing Lin and Beverley's numbers based on the playoff measurement. Like the regular season, you are getting a measurement using Beverley as compared with the other team's backup (Jackson) rather than its top guard (Westbrook).

Westbrook also is a huge part of the OKC attack, and they were not prepared for him to get hurt. So, of course, once he goes down things are going to look a bit stilted.

Lin didn't do well in the short amount of time he appeared in the playoffs before the chest contusion. I don't think that's a surprise to anybody that the numbers bear that out. Still, using such a small sample size -- and one which includes the absence of Westbrook -- may not be indicative of things to come.

We'll see. But it's good to hear that the backcourt appears to be in better shape than people may have assumed it to be.

10. blunto

blunto Member

FIFY.

11. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

I'm honestly not at all convinced about Beverly's so called defensive prowess. Yes he makes an effort and certainly that makes him better than people who don't make an effort.

But really, when you're a back-up seeing limited minutes, isn't that what you're going to do, give it your all on the court. It's the very least that will be expected with you if you have any hope of impressing your coaches?

But effort doesn't equal effectiveness. I watched pretty much every Rockets' game last year and I'm struggling to think of instances where Beverly shut STARTING opposing point guards down. He made a few good plays that stood out on there own, but most of the time, he would get lit up.

I think Beverly has been hyped up mostly because of people's distaste for Lin and I don't think he was good enough last year to defend starting level players. Hopefully he's improved in the off season, but we will see.

1 person likes this.
  12. gene18

gene18 Rookie

According to Morey and Hollinger Lin has good defensivenumbers. Synergy sports has Beverley's and Lin's defensive PPP as almost equal. Surprise, Lin is 2 points better than Beverley.

13. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Exactly my observations. I also watched every Rocket's game. Beverly was all over the court but did not contribute much , except in one playoff game in which he did not play against an elite guard and the thunder were in diarray because Westbrook,their feid general was out. Westbrook is the "head"of the team. In war it is said that if you cut off the head of the snake the battle is won.

14. gene18

gene18 Rookie

It is certainly skewed.

15. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Wow, what a completely different conversation we're having from just 12 months ago!

16. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

very true.

17. jackycool

jackycool Member

I would say that Golden State has the best backcourt due to both players knowing their role and excelling at it pretty flawlessly. While Lin and Harden are overflowing with potential they still don't exactly know how to play together with both of their strengths capitalized. However, when do click they are downright scary and can best any backcourt in the NBA. They just need to find a way to do it more consistently and then I would say they are the best backcourt in the NBA.

18. atwood

atwood Member

second this. I don't think Beverly's defensive end contribution is effective enough to be labeled as the defensive anchor yet. Even Beverly himself claimed the goal would be the anchor in this coming season. Hopefully he could stand on his word!

19. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Kelvin Sampson interview today:

Patrick Beverley evolved into a really good defender at the point of attack last year. I think Jeremy Lin was a guy who was a better defender than people gave him credit for – Jeremy is a really good help defender, especially on the weak side because he’s so good at anticipating passes and getting in the lane and digging and coming up with loose balls. We feel good with Jeremy and Pat at the point of attack, turning them loose more to be more aggressive.

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Curry can be stopped and Beverly can do it. What are Curry and Thompson going to do with Harden though?

Would you trade Harden and Lin for Curry and Thompson?

GS does not have the better backcourt.