1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

100% Whole Grain Bread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Sep 9, 2013.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Nearly every brand has 100% whole wheat bread, but usually, only Nature's Own has 100% whole grain products. Why is this?

Some people say it's because it doesn't sell much, but it's nearly sold out, if not gone completely, every time I grocery shop. I can understand not stocking a ton of it, but I'm surprised other brands don't make it. You'd think they want to cash in on the health craze. Is there a specific reason for this?

[​IMG]

#1 RV6, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

what I normally buy....and it's sold out a lot.

[​IMG]

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I don't trust anything from the bread section. Move on over to the freezer section and grab some:

[​IMG]

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not sure a specific reason is needed. Unless the dozens of other partial-grain brands in a particular store are all lying fallow, the single whole-grain brand's quick throughput doesn't really indicate anything about the bread market's demands as a whole. That's a staple food; so I don't think anyone in that supply chain is going to jeopardize already thin margins by going against popularity.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I stick with sourdough. The fermenting prices makes it more healthful.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I guess that could be true, but it still seems odd to me that only one brand makes it. It's probably a better indicator of how little people know about proper nutrition. I don't think it tastes any worse than the multi-grains and ii don't remember it being more expensive.

I know this is available at Whole Foods, but where else?

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't always eat bread, but when I do, I eat whole grain. Nature's Own, Pepperidge Farm and also Cobblestone Mill.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Nature's Own is the only bread I buy.

9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

10. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I've purchased it from Randalls, Krogers, and HEB in Houston. Not all of them stock it though.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

100% whole grain?

Oh ok, thanks. I'll have to try it out.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This topic tends to be very confusing and there seems to be a lot of misinformation on the interwebs.

Take a look at the first ingredient. If the term "enriched" is used, toss it. You may as well buy white bread.

Here are some general guidlines:

Look at the ingredients label on the product. Look for the words “whole grain”, “whole wheat”, or “100% whole grain.” You would want to purchase this product.
    If you see the word “enriched” or “wheat flour” do not purchase. Wheat flour is another name for white flour! Do NOT be fooled by the words on the package—it’s just advertising!
    Beware of breads labeled as “7-grain” or “multigrain” as these may or may not be true whole grains; it could just be a marketing ploy. The only way to know for sure is to read the ingredients label.
    Pay attention to the amount of dietary fiber on the label; if the product is a whole grain, it will be high in dietary fiber.

1 person likes this.
  13. SK34

SK34 Member

Is it the same price?

14. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

i buy this store brand. i like it better than nature's own and it's cheap as hell especially with the coupon.

[​IMG]

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Kroger Brand
    Healthy Lifestyle
    Pepperidge Farm

All 3 plus Nature's Own are available at all Krogers I go to. I guess it is all in the stores you go to or have near you. Wal-Mart generally is like you describe your store. They have Natures Own only that I can recall.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is pretty amazing how wheat & white have identical ingredients and nutritional info, but still taste different. I think most people have come to recognize that wheat does not equal healthier.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't like packaged bread processed in a factory......my **** comes fresh from a local bakery daily

18. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG] my current go-to bread.

1 person likes this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its all subjective. Fried foods does not always equate to bad food. Some may need the high glycemic foods while others may need low glycemic. Others may need to cut out certain types all together.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

you gotta get gluten free bread